DVDVR Message Board

It Takes Two Elements

Casey

Just a reminder, Origins of Hip Hop is airing on Vice starting Wednesday at 10 PM, starting with Busta. All of them look interesting but the Luke one is most up my alley because me and my next door neighbor kid had a beat-up tape of As Nasty As They Wanna Be as a kid and loved listening to something we shouldn't be. 

EDIT: That made me remember some other stuff. The tape had almost all the titles scratched off on it for obvious reasons. It was the neighbor's older brother's, who had tapes of that, The Chronic (which is where I first learned what marijuana was), Salt N Pepa, and BODY COUNT (!) that I remember. This is bizarre because apparently this older brother also liked to take painkillers and go fight in race wars at the local Hardees' according to the younger. The younger brother is now -- go figure -- a county cop, who according to my dad walks around everywhere with a 9mm stuffed down the front of his waistband pointing at his dick, like the genius he is. All he listened to in high school was Pac with friends and "A Country Boy Can Survive" ten times over when he drove me home from school right before I got a car. Of course. Oh, and the other song he would play over and over and OVER that year was "The Joker". You know you have some deep pathology when you can play those two songs on repeat. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 7:21 PM, J.T. said:

I had never heard that song before last year when Spotify kept throwing into "for you" old-school hip-hop mixes. Solid jam.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/20/2024 at 1:29 PM, Curt McGirt said:

https://rorschach5.bandcamp.com/album/by-reason-of-execution

This is my buddy's new hip hop record. It is... strange... for me to hear him rapping, but the beats are nice and dark. And I'm sure the rhymes, lyrically, are way way darker considering his personal life at the moment. 

Just listened to a few tracks. It honestly reminds me of Sage Francis meeting Twiztid at their least shocky. That's not a negative comparison from me because I honestly think that Twiztid at times are crazy good, when it's not all schtick. So yeah, I dug it. Thanks for the link!

• Like 1