DVDVR Message Board

UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor (10/6/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

23 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Regarding that video above: does this place have no security at all? And if this does the whole lot of them should be fired. I mean you have an altercation that lasts more than two minutes without any security showing up and try to defuse the situation.

According to Dana, there was a ton of security in the arena. So maybe there wasn’t enough to cover every inch of the rest of the building. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they were paid to look the other way and that this is all a work. It's not, but just saying, when you have fans that are so stupid they start a soccer chant whilst fighting each other in the lobby, you could get them to believe anything. 

I get being loyal to your favorite sports stars and everything and looking up to your role models, but to assault someone or get into a fight over that is still mind-boggling to me.

Just as people getting into fights at retail stores to get rare chase Funko Pop variants. 

Maybe Ridley Scott was right. We are basically the Xenomorphs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This is the most profitable version of the sport. It will persist until it isn't.

What scares me is that we have yet to discover the line in the sand that should not be crossed.  Throwing a metal barricade and injuring fighters is not the line.  I doubt what happened last night is anywhere near the line.  Khabib gets a slap on the wrist and the UFC shugs their shoulders.  

We go on until something terrible happens and then stand around pointing fingers and wondering how we got here.

I think Conor will book a can for his next fight. 

If he books a rematch and loses, hello Chael 2.0.  The allure is gone and so are the title fights.

If he books Diaz and loses, see above.

If he books a can and wins, he can claim that he is back and deserves a rematch continuing his trash talking.

31 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

I think Conor will book a can for his next fight. 

If he books a rematch and loses, hello Chael 2.0.  The allure is gone and so are the title fights.

If he books Diaz and loses, see above.

If he books a can and wins, he can claim that he is back and deserves a rematch continuing his trash talking.

Doesn't he have like a hundred million dollars banked? Why is he not getting high and playing Animal Crossing? If he wants more action I do think we could use a one-man-funded Animal Crossing competitive league.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I get being loyal to your favorite sports stars and everything and looking up to your role models, but to assault someone or get into a fight over that is still mind-boggling to me.

Except Conor went around insulting people's religion and culture, that is something that legitimately starts wars, why are you surprised that it starts fights?  The Dagastani went to war with Russia over religion, they are ready to die over that type of shit, let alone lay some drunk Irishman down for talking shit.  Just because we act like this shit is OK when promoting a fight doesn't mean that everyone thinks its OK.  Khabib and his boys have no sense of humor about any of this shit.  All those dudes grew up in a place where people have killed and died for their culture, they take this shit seriously.  

• Like 3

So Derrick Lewis deserves a title shot, yeah? But the Champion is Daniel Cormier, who's current career plan is to get the Lesnar payday and then retire. So most likely, if Lewis doesn't lose before then, he's fighting for a vacant title in about 9-12 months time, most likely against Stipe (or Ngannou, but that's been done and it wasn't good). So a good time to get some surgery done, is what I'm saying.

Volkov could be back in the picture before too long. He was winning every minute of every round up until the last one. If that one shot had missed and Khabib had held his temper, we'd all be reading Russian MMA domination era thinkpieces tomorrow. Instead of the 'Is Conor the night's real winner*' thinkpieces we'll be getting instead.

* No. No he isn't. Tony Ferguson is. Someone make a gif of him bouncing on his toes right before the restart after the cut-check pause. He was looking very El Cucuy there. His hairline is vampiring itself and it makes him look scarier.

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

So Derrick Lewis deserves a title shot, yeah? But the Champion is Daniel Cormier, who's current career plan is to get the Lesnar payday and then retire. So most likely, if Lewis doesn't lose before then, he's fighting for a vacant title in about 9-12 months time, most likely against Stipe (or Ngannou, but that's been done and it wasn't good). So a good time to get some surgery done, is what I'm saying.

Volkov could be back in the picture before too long. He was winning every minute of every round up until the last one. If that one shot had missed and Khabib had held his temper, we'd all be reading Russian MMA domination era thinkpieces tomorrow. Instead of the 'Is Conor the night's real winner*' thinkpieces we'll be getting instead.

* No. No he isn't. Tony Ferguson is. Someone make a gif of him bouncing on his toes right before the restart after the cut-check pause. He was looking very El Cucuy there. His hairline is vampiring itself and it makes him look scarier.

Cormier's plan is to fight Lesnar and then fight Jon again for his retirement fight. Jones vs. Gustafsson is going to be for the vacant LHW title. Any likely scenario is going to lead to a champion vs. champion fight for 2019.

I expect Lewis vs. Stipe because before Derrick won I was thinking Miocic vs. Volkov on some card in Europe. They can redo Lewis vs. Ngannou especially if Ngannou beats Blaydes again. However, if Blaydes beats Ngannou I dunno if I would match Blaydes vs. Lewis. Something about that style matchup doesn't gel too well IMO. It just depends on the needs of the UFC and whether or not Stipe wants a non-title fight. JDS vs. Tuivasa is on 12/1 so Derrick can also sit out and fight the winner of that. Tuivasa vs. Derrick Lewis would be fun.

• Like 2

Conor got what he deserved. I wonder if tapping to a neck crank may have been one of the (many) things that set Khabib off. 

You’re not going to get choked out from a neck crank. It was on his chin. I wonder if Khabib saw it as Conor taking the easy way out. 

Even Derrick Lewis admitted that his cardio was too shitty to have a title fight.  As awesome as the guy is, he was 15 seconds away from losing this fight.   Also coming off one of the worst heavyweight fights since Mir vs Cro Cop.  Not the best resume 

Although if Brock somehow by crook beats Cormier and wins the title, watching Lewis vs Lesnar re-enact that Bob Sapp 2nd round that everyone saw recently would be good stuff.

16 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Conor got what he deserved. I wonder if tapping to a neck crank may have been one of the (many) things that set Khabib off. 

You’re not going to get choked out from a neck crank. It was on his chin. I wonder if Khabib saw it as Conor taking the easy way out. 

Dude, have you ever had someone squeeze your jawbone together like that?  It is one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life.  I got my jaw squeezed by a scrawny blue belt, he was getting his jaw squeezed together by Khabib Nurmegamedov...he could have shattered his jaw.  Demian Maia finished Rick Story the exact same way and blood started streaming from his face.  I can't fault him from tapping from that.

• Like 5

You can almost never book Lewis in a title fight based off that performance...and yet he's now the No. 2 guy at light heavyweight.

Heavyweight. He's not making Light Heavy unless you cut his legs off.

• Like 1

I tap to neck cranks all the time. But I’m not “the greatest fighter of all time.”

and Khabib is crazy. He might have felt disrespected by Conor not allowing him to punish him further. Khabib had a Kimura and an arm triangle that he could’ve finished but let go to keep punishing him.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:49 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think UFC has been flirting with disaster...  what Connor did in New York was disgusting but I think UFC still felt that there's a certain "entertainment" aspect to Connor where all the shit he does is a studio gangsta version of thuggery.  

Khabib and his boys don't seem fake to me.  It's not entertainment with them and tonight they showed it.  

Here's the thing, I know some hard bastards from the old country and Connor ain't one. He's fake thuggery from the get go; the real hard bastards don't do shit that gets filmed for the 6:00PM news. They do heinous shit that can't be traced back. 

Now Khabib and company, that's a whole different story, those are guys who will fuck you up at the drop of a hat. Connor just got schooled in what's real and what's fake.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 12:18 AM, piranesi said:

Nothing to worry about. They are only mobs of Russians and the Irish.

It's not like they're insane drunken maniacs who hold grudges for generations and who have been watching hours and hours of training videos on how to kill each other efficiently wandering the cities.

If things get out of hand, we'll just release the Samoans. And if they get out of control, we can always summon Haku.

Everything is under control.

"Insane drunken maniacs that hold grudges for generations" just because we're still pissed at the Norsemen over the Battle of Clontarf is no reason to make sweeping generalizations it's only been a thousand years, give it time...

BTW: Put me in the camp that considers Conor a fucking embarrassment to the Emerald Isle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Now Khabib and company, that's a whole different story, those are guys who will fuck you up at the drop of a hat. Connor just got schooled in what's real and what's fake.

Growing up I had a friend who's mom was murdered by his dad.  Everyone from our neighborhood knew this, so we knew not to go there, but at school there was this one kid who liked to tell momma jokes.  That kid told a momma joke to my friend, and he beat the shit out of that kid...repeatedly.  It got bad to the point that my friend, who wasn't a bad kid otherwise, almost got expelled.  Basically what I'm saying is just because you think your jokes are funny, don't mean other people find that shit funny.  Khabib and his boys don't find Conor's shit funny.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Growing up I had a friend who's mom was murdered by his dad.  Everyone from our neighborhood knew this, so we knew not to go there, but at school there was this one kid who liked to tell momma jokes.  That kid told a momma joke to my friend, and he beat the shit out of that kid...repeatedly.  It got bad to the point that my friend, who wasn't a bad kid otherwise, almost got expelled.  Basically what I'm saying is just because you think your jokes are funny, don't mean other people find that shit funny.  Khabib and his boys don't find Conor's shit funny.  

As you know, I'm Irish as fuck and I don't find Conor's shit funny in the least. If he wasn't a famous MMA guy, he's someone you would find in alley with a fucking piano wire around his throat. There's Irish lads that don't find him amusing at all, I'm still surprised he's walking around above ground after that shit he pulled in the pub a while back. 

LOL "After reviewing tape that wasn't immediately available" That's fucking funny considering there were videos available of Conor throwing punches over the cage almost within 5 or 10 minutes. NSAC sounds like they're just in CYA mode.

• Like 3

I don't get Meltzer saying Khabib will be suspending a year. If Conor is implicated too,  it just confirms to me all this is going to result in is the commissioners giving the little kid in the principal's office speech and then a big fine for each. Meaning the NSAC not only made money hand over fist with the live gate but they get a piece of those disclosed purses. Your government at work, ladies and gentlemen. 

• Like 2

Exactly how I see it playing out too. Maybe a token suspension for Khabib of 6 months where he doesn't really miss any actual time on top of the fines.

I'm interested to see where they go next with Conor. I think his aura takes a huge hit if he loses his next fight and a third meeting with Diaz is a coin toss. I watched the main event again with some family members last night and was relatively impressed with Conor's gas tank. He didn't look nearly as bad in that fight as he did in the first Diaz fight and while it makes sense to create that fight now, it's a little risky.