DVDVR Message Board

UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor (10/6/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Mac Life is still allowed to UFC events, and I can't even get credentialed anymore.

Why should you be allowed credentials? Are you a journalist of some type? Please don't say you are that annoying MMAEncyclopedia dude or something.

I'd like to know the exact moment MMA became a "respect sport", personally. It's not like Conor McGregor invented fight promotion and trash talking. I just don't get the defense behind "he insulted my religion, my country and my family". I guess maybe I get the last one, but then again, if I was set for the biggest payday of my professional career and kinda sorta knew (in the back of my mind) that the other guy was just doing this to drum up interest ultimately... would I really care? Then again, I'm not super patriotic or religious, so... I don't know. I guess those reasons are justifiable in his mind.

• Like 1

Going back to the actual fight: For all the talk of Khabib not being able to stand with Conor....Conor landed punches and had no zip on them at all. And that was BEFORE he got tired and Dominick Cruz pointing that out. Khabib ate everything Conor had to offer even when he got a little fatigued himself. Maybe he didn't want to over-commit on his punches, but maybe there is some carryover from the Mayweather fight. Think about what Pettis and Ferguson did to each other and neither guy is a puncher puncher. That vaunted power doesn't mean much if you're just slapping with your strikes. Even that low kick was useless. This was the same dude talking about putting his fist through someone's orbital bone. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'd like to know the exact moment MMA became a "respect sport", personally. It's not like Conor McGregor invented fight promotion and trash talking. I just don't get the defense behind "he insulted my religion, my country and my family". I guess maybe I get the last one, but then again, if I was set for the biggest payday of my professional career and kinda sorta knew (in the back of my mind) that the other guy was just doing this to drum up interest ultimately... would I really care? Then again, I'm not super patriotic or religious, so... I don't know. I guess those reasons are justifiable in his mind.

I agree with the sentiment but when your go personal, everything goes out the window. Whether it or boxing resembles pro wrestling a lot doesn't matter because it's not scripted. As said earlier, if you're not a street dude or about that life, watch your tone or delivery because everyone doesn't play like you do. Either that or you run that shit on someone who won't do anything about it. However, you better choose wisely. In boxing, I think there is an understated line you don't cross and that's still a sport where you get wild shit. I mean you had Danny Garcia and his dad Angel brawling with people in a Dick's Sporting Goods awhile back. However, in a predominantly white sport, you see more people willing to cross that line because their is no precedent for consequences other than Jeremy Stephens getting reprimanded for saying the n word on Twitter.

However, the thing is...in my mind straddling the line should be treated like stepping over the line. Besides like Derrick Lewis or maybe a couple other people, nothing or nobody gives me confidence that these dudes have an ounce of self control. Besides the whole Cyborg thing with like Rogan and Mitrione and the Loretta Hunt dustup with Dana, we haven't had that big thing where this could explode into something else. Even then, we got non-fighters involved and not something building up a fight. Maybe Alex Nicholson getting knocked out Friday night was karma but nothing really happened to him making slurs toward Hyun Gyu Lim the night he fought Nicholson's teammate Mike Perry. I believe he still got booked to fight afterwards. 

So yeah, it's not a respect sport but keep in mind that when you're dealing with 600+ people will different cultures and backgrounds, the actions anyone takes to correct the actions of someone else are not uniform. Don't run to someone else now to deal with what you said after talking big shit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'd like to know the exact moment MMA became a "respect sport", personally.

It's always been that way among hardcore fans, but it got worse when they aired that one Bruce Lee documentary on some channel Dana White was on and Dana said he was an MMA pioneer and hardcore fans just began ragging how he could beat up any current fighter, etc.

35 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Why should you be allowed credentials? Are you a journalist of some type? Please don't say you are that annoying MMAEncyclopedia dude or something.

Yes. And when I was credentialed for UFC In the past, I never let a group of Irishmen into a UFC venue on fight week to start a riot.

Also, everything Tony Ferguson said tonight was accurate.

19 minutes ago, Edwin said:

It's always been that way among hardcore fans, but it got worse when they aired that one Bruce Lee documentary on some channel Dana White was on and Dana said he was an MMA pioneer and hardcore fans just began ragging how he could beat up any current fighter, etc.

But we're dealing in the context of fighters and not fans. Fighters have the ability to defend themselves and moreover beat the living shit out of someone else. In addition, it's not like the NBA where Kevin Garnett is talking about Carmelo Anthony's wife. The worst thing that could happen is them rolling around, backing up, and eventually being held back. In the NFL you get egregious (depending on your view points about the NFL rules) hits like the ones between Vontaze Burfict and Antonio Brown and in other Steelers/Bengals games. Still that's a sport where no one is fighting like that and we even have chain snatchings between Aqib Talib and Michael Crabtree.

There is a good reason why dudes don't do that in MMA where anyone can catch a bad one because dudes legitimately know how to fight. It's not because most of these dudes are just good people. You don't have to worry about the streets if you don't bring the streets to you. You can talk trash and still remain somewhat professional.

I'm not Russian, but I am African-American so I did feel a way about what Conor said on the Mayweather press tour. I know when folks are building up a fight. I have no problem with some of the Great White Hype build. So I expect it to wonder a little into racebaiting. However, those first two stops had stuff from McGregor that would get him stomped to sleep in any major African-American city or town. Floyd is getting the paycheck so how he feels is one thing. However, when you plant your flag in that, you gotta deal with whatever comes with that. So if someone from Floyd's crew wants to beat the everloving piss out of Conor...in the words of Chris Rock, I don't condone it but I understand.

Again I'm not Russian, Chechen, or Dagestani, but I know enough to get why Zubaira Tukhugov wants to give Conor a nice going away present. You don't veer in that lane, you don't have to deal with the consequences.

• Like 5

I get why a guy like Khabib is just running down a laundry list at the press conference "what about this? what about that?" 

However, at the same time, I hope his coaches and teammates will sit him down and tell him why this is not OK.

Definitely seems like commissions need to start barring teammates and cornermen after this.

With so many eyes on the sport once more due to McGregor's involvement, that is really not what you want to happen. People try and defend MMA to the broader public as something more than just human cockfighting as it has been perceived by many for years, and then you get your biggest match in a long time end with multiple brawls. Not good.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I get why a guy like Khabib is just running down a laundry list at the press conference "what about this? what about that?" 

However, at the same time, I hope his coaches and teammates will sit him down and tell him why this is not OK.

I think Khabib understands the component of why jumping out of the cage is wrong...

However, expecting someone to keep it cool after several instances of Conor screaming vile personal shit at him and his team is expecting a level of restraint rarely seen in combat sports. Hell, rarely seen in life. And that's the issue. The security measures weren't up to snuff tonight, and everyone should have been ready once the fight ended including Herb Dean.

People complain about folks shaking hands after talking trash but you better not complain when someone has damning evidence that someone has taken it too far and goes with their first impulse.

• Like 2

Also, Rogan said Danis was the one who instigated the entire thing by insulting and provoking him.

The UFC should ban him from cornering Conor or anyone ever again.

In case I get misunderstood for what I say below- Khabib absolutely dominated Conor, there is no need for a rematch. 

That said, Conor looked like a man going through the motions at time, there was glimpses of his game from two years ago in the 3rd/4th round but even the punches he threw didn’t have their usual zip and speed. Either the hunger isn’t there anymore or the year or so of partying (and whatever else) has taken a massive toll. 

He looked like a man that for whatever reason thought it would be a breeze after taking so much time out, got one round in and just went “aw fuck, I’ve bitten off way more than I can chew here”. 

Where he goes from here is anyones guess, Khabib will embarrass him in a potential rematch, I think he’d struggle with Ferguson too. If Mcgregor wants to get serious about MMA again he needs to seriously look at who he’s surrounding himself with. 

I ain't going to pretend not to love all this crazy shit. Derrick Lewis with Great Balls Of Fire and post-match brawls in and out of the cage? Yeah, Cornette was right that MMA does pro wrestling better than pro wrestling at this stage. I'm a  passive, non violent person but you've got to know that you don't fuck with people from the Caucuses like Conor did. I ain't surprised, mother fucker. Plus, I think Khabib's legend grows from this immensely and he becomes a legitimate ppv draw due to both skill and unpredictability factor (even if this was a one off). Has Nevada ever withheld a fighter's purse in similar situations? All the boxing shit I can think of was more fans and/or corner men starting shit, not the fighter. Like what happened when Holmes hit Berbick with the missile dropkick off the limo? Not even close to this, I know. 

Khabib hit Conor with better power punches. That doesn't make sense. There are serious defensive holes in Nurmagomedov's boxing, so he's not unbeatable but after watching that... No fucking way does the UFC put Conor in the cage with Khabib again unless he has some miraculous career turnaround. They'll need to protect that golden goose for a little while longer. Put him in there with somebody who doesn't have the strongest chin but has some name value to see if his power is really shot. I mean Alvarez is the obvious candidate but that has been done. Pettis? He can be touched up. Then the Diaz fight makes sense because while some of Conor's initial defensive grappling was impressive, he looked a shell of himself standing... My guess is that was his body being gassed from Khabib's pressure but before throwing their money man back to the wolves, I'd try to give him a relatively easier fight just to make sure if I were them. Conor's actual wind seemed impressive but his muscles were shot, I think Cruz mentioned that. Fuck that noise people were suggesting about Khabib's jaw too. Even before the wrestling, he took a fresh Conor's shots and stayed right in there. 

Speaking of Cruz, he was excellent as always and while I usually like Rogan for what he is, he was awful in that fight. Like making flat out wrong observations consistently. Conor was rolling with most of those punches when Khabib was pouring on the GnP in round 2, for example. Some were landing cleanly but you could see Conor was going with them to defuse some of the power. 

Lastly, some Urethra Franklin hacked my UFC.tv account and ordered the ppv. UFC didn't really help either other than reset my password and I asked visa to contest the charge. I still got the ppv and was going to order it anyway but fucker tried to change my password again last night. I've changed my password for both UFC and Gmail a bunch. 

7 hours ago, Casey said:

How about he and his goons attacked me and a bunch of my friends in a parking lot on a bus and almost killed some people. That justification enough?

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

But we're dealing in the context of fighters and not fans. Fighters have the ability to defend themselves and moreover beat the living shit out of someone else. In addition, it's not like the NBA where Kevin Garnett is talking about Carmelo Anthony's wife. The worst thing that could happen is them rolling around, backing up, and eventually being held back. In the NFL you get egregious (depending on your view points about the NFL rules) hits like the ones between Vontaze Burfict and Antonio Brown and in other Steelers/Bengals games. Still that's a sport where no one is fighting like that and we even have chain snatchings between Aqib Talib and Michael Crabtree.

There is a good reason why dudes don't do that in MMA where anyone can catch a bad one because dudes legitimately know how to fight. It's not because most of these dudes are just good people. You don't have to worry about the streets if you don't bring the streets to you. You can talk trash and still remain somewhat professional.

I'm not Russian, but I am African-American so I did feel a way about what Conor said on the Mayweather press tour. I know when folks are building up a fight. I have no problem with some of the Great White Hype build. So I expect it to wonder a little into racebaiting. However, those first two stops had stuff from McGregor that would get him stomped to sleep in any major African-American city or town. Floyd is getting the paycheck so how he feels is one thing. However, when you plant your flag in that, you gotta deal with whatever comes with that. So if someone from Floyd's crew wants to beat the everloving piss out of Conor...in the words of Chris Rock, I don't condone it but I understand.

Again I'm not Russian, Chechen, or Dagestani, but I know enough to get why Zubaira Tukhugov wants to give Conor a nice going away present. You don't veer in that lane, you don't have to deal with the consequences.

I am Russian. And that’s very well said. 

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Herb Dean didn't seem like he was ready for anything in the last 3 or 4 years. 

He seemed really off his game.

Fixed your post.  I was kind of stunned they let Herb ref the main event fight given how much of mess he was a couple weeks to the point that UFC announcers were giving him shit.   But given the UFC probably shouldn't be

I would also like to know who is the dumb fuck at ESPN that thinks that Screaming A Smith is the person you would use for their MMA analysis.  What was Coachman not available at the time.   I mean Chael Sonnen and Ariel Helwani is perfectly fine as it is.   

• Like 1