DVDVR Message Board

UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor (10/6/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Based on the trending numbers (and especially the amount of Twitter activity just the presser generated), are we comfortable with saying the UFC breaks the UFC 100 buyrate number? Right now, all signs point to it being utterly shattered.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That three million number people are throwing out would be ridiculous. I dunno. Even breaking two million would be insane. 

Right now, I would say it falls a little short of the Mayweather vs. De La Hoya number (2.4 million). If something crazy happens at the weigh-ins, then all bets are off.

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

Khabib's lack of front isn't a lack of confidence. He's letting Conor have enough rope.

I don't take any of this prefight nonsense seriously.  I heard GSP say he is almost cripplingly terrified before every single fight, and he turned out to be pretty good.  Once they are in the cage and the door closes, these dudes are going to fight and being confident or unconfident only matters so much when you are as skilled as these two are.  Whoever wins this fight is going to be the person who gets to dictate how the fight is fought.  If McGregor can stuff takedowns and stay at range, he's going to batter Khabib, but if Khabib can consistently take him down, Khabib is going to smash him into smithereens.  What I hope happens is that McGregor stuffs some takedowns, but is constantly uncomfortable with his distance while Khabib takes him down a couple times, but not enough to dominate him, and somehow we get an MMA fight where two of the best fighters of their generation spend 5 rounds seeing who the better man is...but it won't be because one was more boisterous at the stupid press conferences.    

• Like 1

I'm kinda baffled that none of the reporters yesterday voiced concern by Conor McGregor saying he was training wrestling with 200 pounders. Wouldn't the best course of action be to train with quicker, faster wrestlers with better technique? I would be more concerned with the set up to the takedown than the actual strength component.

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm kinda baffled that none of the reporters yesterday voiced concern by Conor McGregor saying he was training wrestling with 200 pounders. Wouldn't the best course of action be to train with quicker, faster wrestlers with better technique? I would be more concerned with the set up to the takedown than the actual strength component.

He may have been wrestling from underneath, with the idea being that if he gets taken down he can handle being under Khabib's weight. Then he practices stuffing takedowns with quicker  guys.

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

He may have been wrestling from underneath, with the idea being that if he gets taken down he can handle being under Khabib's weight. Then he practices stuffing takedowns with quicker  guys.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense although at the presser there was an added emphasis on the weight of his training partners. He was likely boasting, but it's not like the reporters did their due diligence in following up.

Anyway

37 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, that makes perfect sense although at the presser there was an added emphasis on the weight of his training partners. He was likely boasting, but it's not like the reporters did their due diligence in following up.

Anyway

Do you actually expect competent MMA media?  Sherdog wasn't perfect (I know they still exist, but not really), but they at least seemed to care about those kinds of details.  That original press conference where the dude said he was having trouble asking his question because he was shaking was one of the more embarrassing things I've ever watched.  As someone who cares about MMA and journalism, it's just kind of sad watching huge events like this get bullshit media coverage.

58 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Do you actually expect competent MMA media?  Sherdog wasn't perfect (I know they still exist, but not really), but they at least seemed to care about those kinds of details.  That original press conference where the dude said he was having trouble asking his question because he was shaking was one of the more embarrassing things I've ever watched.  As someone who cares about MMA and journalism, it's just kind of sad watching huge events like this get bullshit media coverage.

Well, usually Conor doesn't say anything of substance anyway. It's just mostly cursing and playing to the crowd. I think it may have been John Morgan from MMAJunkie, but someone did ask about his preparation and Conor was (sorta) seriously for about five or six seconds. 

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, usually Conor doesn't say anything of substance anyway. It's just mostly cursing and playing to the crowd. I think it may have been John Morgan from MMAJunkie, but someone did ask about his preparation and Conor was (sorta) seriously for about five or six seconds. 

I wonder if Conor McGregor is like Kanye West.  I bet if you sat him down and talked about fighting, he'd actually be someone I'd be interested in hearing talk, but everyone else seems to be interested in him being a circus clown.  I've heard Kanye do maybe 3 interviews with people who wanted to talk about nothing but music, and it's fascinating.  I don't know if there is another person on the planet that I'd rather hear talk about where he found a sample, how it caught his attention, and how he manipulated it, than Kanye West.  I'd like to hear Conor talk about fighting, especially when it involves distance management and how to manipulate someone to throw a strike to counter.  

• Like 1

There we go. Good to hear thoughts put on the line as to how it goes.

RE: discounting pre-fight shenanigans, true to a degree, but Aldo/Alvarez seemed clearly affected by what went on before their bouts with Conor, so it isn’t outrageous to think some of the rush of blood to the head can carry over.

8 minutes ago, A_K said:

There we go. Good to hear thoughts put on the line as to how it goes.

RE: discounting pre-fight shenanigans, true to a degree, but Aldo/Alvarez seemed clearly affected by what went on before their bouts with Conor, so it isn’t outrageous to think some of the rush of blood to the head can carry over.

I'll agree with Aldo, but I think Alvarez' take two to land one style is just custom made for an accurate power hitter like McGregor.  I'll go to my grave thinking that Aldo would beat McGregor more times than not, but that's not a rematch we'll ever see.  

I generally skip through the pressers to listen to just the shit the fighters are saying. Watching these grown men tripping over the words from talking so fast once Connor got there was pretty sad. "Hey TMZSports here, how long before you're a billionaire?" GTFO.

• Like 2

Waterson and Herrig in the same weight class is ridiculous, and it's not just the heels. Is it that they don't want to have two relatively empty divisions that they don't do up an atomweight division for Waterson? Though populating a 105 lb division would be a hell of a lot easier than 145.

26 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Waterson and Herrig in the same weight class is ridiculous, and it's not just the heels. Is it that they don't want to have two relatively empty divisions that they don't do up an atomweight division for Waterson? Though populating a 105 lb division would be a hell of a lot easier than 145.

I think 105 is coming eventually and that will be it for all the weight classes. And compared to female boxing in the Olympics, which is only 112 (Flyweight), 132 (Lightweight), and 165 (Super Middleweight),  the UFC would then make anyone who actually has talent capable of fighting for them. Kayla Harrison would piledrive any of those girls on this current season of TUF,  and I like Pannie Kianzad since she's a fun fighter to watch. If you get dominated by gangly, non athletic Tonya Evinger in the grappling department, let me tell who you don't wanna see...Kayla Harrison. That's why I don't see them abandoning featherweight for the women. She has a ton of star potential. A ton. I could see them dropping 145 in exchange for 105 if Cyborg dips after the Nunes fight and Harrison rocks with PFL until just inevitably run out of money. However, I see them appeasing Cyborg somehow especially if she beats Nunes and they can always bring 145 back when they do sign Harrison. So basically, atomweight needs to really produce talent. It can't just be some girls in Rizin, a few girls in Invicta, and Seo Hee Ham. They're invested in Waterson but not to the point where they need hold to compete for a belt. If she can just win every other fight, she's good. Therefore, atomweight needs a Harrison or Cyborg type to justify the division. Without a legitimate dominant superstar, time will go on with just strawweight being the lowest it goes.

DozPCpdU8AIWlKA.jpg:large

Based on this picture and Drake being the absolute biggest fair-weather fan celeb, something tells me Cormier is going to be devastated when he sees Drake root for Jon Jones. He's going to be so pissed, he's going to have the UFC production team edit out Drake's verse in his entrance music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1