DVDVR Message Board

UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor (10/6/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

DlPHY7CU0AALejX.jpg?1534976059

UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor 
October 6, 2018
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Lightweight Championship: Khabib Nurmagomedov © (155) vs. Conor McGregor (154.5) (first defense) - Nurmagomedov, SUB (neck crank), R3 (4:04)
Tony Ferguson (155) vs. Anthony Pettis (156) - Ferguson, TKO (retirement), R2 (5:00)
Ovince St. Preux (205.5) vs. Dominick Reyes (204.5) - Reyes, DEC (unanimous)
Derrick Lewis (265.5) vs. Alexander Volkov (251) - Lewis, KO (punches), R3 (4:49)
Michelle Waterson (115) vs. Felice Herrig (115.5) - Waterson, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Sergio Pettis (125) vs. Jussier Formiga (125.5) - Formiga, DEC (unanimous)
Vicente Luque (170.5) vs. Jalin Turner (169.5) - Luque, KO (punches), R1 (3:52)
Aspen Ladd (134.5) vs. Tonya Evinger (136) - Ladd, TKO (punches), R1 (3:26)
Scott Holtzman (155.5) vs. Alan Patrick (155.5) - Holtzman, KO (elbows), R3 (3:42)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Lina Länsberg (135.5) vs. Yana Kunitskaya (134.5) - Kunitskaya, DEC (unanimous)
Gray Maynard (156) vs. Nik Lentz (156) - Lentz, TKO (head kick and punches), R2 (1:19)
Ryan LaFlare (171) vs. Tony Martin (171) - Martin, KO (head kick and punches), R3 (1:00)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Aspen Ladd
Performance of the Night: Derrick Lewis
Fight of the Night: Tony Ferguson vs. Anthony Pettis

Attendance: 20,034
Gate: $17.2 million
Buyrate: 2.4 million

Cancelled Bouts:
Sean O'Malley vs. José Alberto Quiñónez - O'Malley Flagged for a Potential USADA Doping Violation

Did something happen to the main event?

EDIT:

Oh the O'Malley thing. I understand the USADA policy change, but it seems to have a lot of holes in logic. It will cause a lot of speculation if someone gets pulled or if someone is suddenly just not fighting for a long while because these rulings take forever and a half to get resolved. 

14 minutes ago, twiztor said:

it would be funny if somehow Khabib/Conor doesn't happen, so Ferguson/Pettis gets promoted to main event status, and they just "un-strip" Ferguson of his LW title.

They wouldn't do that. They would put one of those guys in the spot of whoever dropped out and put either Gray Maynard or Lentz in the spot of the main event replacement.

If Conor is still in the main event, technically, it would more or less un stripping McGregor if anything. 

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I missed that Gray Maynard was fighting. He's had quite the fall since he lost to Frankie Edgar in the rubber fight.

Granted it was against a bantamweight, he didn't look all that bad against Teruto Ishihara. I think the Lentz fight is going to be more reflective of where he is truly at though. He's not just gonna be able to take him down and dominate him from top control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

*video*

I mean... We've seen Conor wilt under pressure and fold before. I just don't see Conor surviving a round of Khalabeeb smothering him, much less possibly 5. Khalabeeb has been rocked once in his career and still dominated that Johnson fight. Conor has more power than anybody Nurmagomedov has faced and anything can happen but I gotta go with the smasher of #1 bullshit on this one. Conor's only hope is Khalabeeb runs with that "Ali" defence he showed against Al Iaquinta and catches him early.

But I guess "I don't get the game." lolschaub. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I mean... We've seen Conor wilt under pressure and fold before. I just don't see Conor surviving a round of Khalabeeb smothering him, much less possibly 5. Khalabeeb has been rocked once in his career and still dominated that Johnson fight. Conor has more power than anybody Nurmagomedov has faced and anything can happen but I gotta go with the smasher of #1 bullshit on this one. Conor's only hope is Khalabeeb runs with that "Ali" defence he showed against Al Iaquinta and catches him early.

But I guess "I don't get the game." lolschaub. 

Khabib had basically zero time to prepare for Iaquinta. It's not like Tony Ferguson and Al Iaquinta have the same exact style. He also had to prep for Max Holloway, another guy who doesn't fight like Al Iaquinta. If he didn't have the time, his team didn't have time to prepare. More than likely he was just winging based off what little info they gather in 24 hours. So I give him leeway on that performance. I gave that same leeway with Jones having to fight OSP on two weeks notice. In those ten rounds combined, at no point were those dudes going to lose to vastly inferior opponents. Win tonight and look better the next time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freddie Odom said:

After viewing the individual statistics of both Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor, I believe the chances of Khabib winning are higher

If you link a VPN site for the purpose of piracy again, you will get reported. Thanks.

Can't wait for the USADA ruling on O'Malley's positive ostarine results.

I forgot Lewis was even on this card. He and Volkov have to have a better fight than Lewis' last, right? 

Lastly, I swooned for Michelle Waterson's impressions at the end there. That was great.

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He and Volkov have to have a better fight than Lewis' last, right?

If Derrick's back is acting up and he doesn't end it inside a round or so, I don't see him having a good performance against Volkov. I don't know the ceiling on Volkov yet, but I don't activity as being his issue besides that Timothy Johnson fight. If you saw that fight, you would ask how the hell did this guy get on a UFC PPV main card. However, he has been better each time out. With Derrick...man...you might see three or four different versions of Derrick Lewis in one fight because he is very unconventional. He is the most athletic unathletic athlete in the history of the UFC.

• Like 1

I'm not sure he'll have anything for Volkov. Volkov's a tall guy who fights long and controls distance. Lewis is four inches shorter, and he's not a guy with explosive closing speed or much in the way of lateral movement. So never mind a round or so, if Lewis hasn't done anything devastating in the first sixty, ninety seconds of the first round, he's likely not getting anything done all night. Now Volkov's figured himself out, he's a horrible style match up for an awful lot of Heavyweights. Before he'd figured himself out, he was a more boring Stefan Struve. But Volkov uses his natural gifts in ways Struve seems unable to.