DVDVR Message Board

A Good Walk Spoiled

Dolfan in NYC

I'm glad he was honest about the current state of his game and health.  It could be rough for the U.S. team.  Tiger gone, Kuchar may be out because of injury, Dufner may be unavailable to be a captain's pick due to injury, and Dustin Johnson is doing lines off of other players wives.  Furyk played well enough down the stretch that he made the team on merit which is bad because he's absolutely terrible in the Ryder Cup and one of the main reasons the U.S. lost last time.  And the U.S. has a bunch of Ryder Cup rookies.  The only good news is Fowler is playing amazing and Phil has managed to peak at just the right time.  I think guys like Reed and Spieth will be fun to watch though.  Reed seems to have a mentality suited to the Ryder Cup.  The Europeans look really really tough. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Watson will be making his picks next week after this tournament. I think you have to go with Mahan at this point and I like Snedeker also. For the other pick I like Keegan Bradley. He hasn't been playing that great but I think he's a must in that format. Will be interesting to see how this last tournament shakes out. I actually would put Bradley on no matter what and if someone like Kevin Na or Ryan Moore played great this week I'd move them ahead of Snedeker.

Poulter

Westwood

Stephen Gallacher.

the first two - agree 100%.

Poults is your go to man for a point. Westwood has been sinking putts like they're on rails recently.

Gallacher. Must admit i dont know much about the dude. Could be good if paired with someone like poults or mcilroy.

• 2 weeks later...

The morning fourball was decent.  Americans dominated the last few matches and Poulter/McIlroy were really fortunate to get a halve out of that last match.  

And then the foursomes...good lord the Americans were terrible, not to mention a really questionable decision to sit Mickelson/Bradley.  I just can't see the reasoning behind having a dog like Furyk and someone so vanilla as Mahan out there and then having Mickelson/Bradley sitting on the bench.  

So 10-6 Europe and I can't see the singles going that well for the Americans.  Furyk has been typical Furyk and Fowler, Walker, and Kuchar have been really disappointing.  Some key points to me were Fowler/Walker not getting that full point against McIlroy/Poulter that it seemed like they should have, not having Mickelson/Bradley out there in the afternoon, and also Spieth/Reed absolutely laying down at the end of their match with Kaymer/Rose.  They were 2up with 7 to play and just choked coming in.  They were lucky to get the half point because Rose putted pretty poorly.  

The course looks awesome though and the crowd seems amazing.  Would be a great event to be at live. 

That shot to win the cup outright though...

god DAMN.

On balance I thought it was a fair result. It wasnt the fact that the USA were bad at foursomes, it's just that the Euros were mind bendingly awesome at it. 

Victor Dubuisson is a future megastar. He and GMac had a great relationship even before the start of the tournament.

And god bless Bubba and Tom for being the only two people on stage who were actually singing the anthem at the flag recession, and not looking like dejected school children being forced to sit up at the front of the assembly. Faces like smacked arses, the rest of them.

Phil certainly was sour grapes.  I definitely believe that Watson made some bad calls as far as who was playing with who and who is playing or sitting but you can't say that in public like Phil did.  It's not like Phil has some stellar Ryder Cup record either.  It's a frame of mind that the Europeans have that the American side always seems to fail to grasp.  The American team flew over to Scotland on a jet as a team...except for Phil.  He traveled separate.  So him doing that isn't all that surprising.  Some people would think that it's all on the players and ultimately it is but if you play golf you know how much of the game is mental.  So if you have a captain that isn't fostering the right environment for the team and is keeping them in the dark, you can't expect the best results.  I mean, they told Reed and Spieth on day one that if they played well in the morning that they'd be playing in the afternoon.  Well, they won 5&4 and still sat out the afternoon.  And some of the pairings were just odd. 

Patrick Reed and Jordan Spieth definitely have a bright Ryder Cup future even if Spieth hasn't figured out how to not give matches away yet.  He obviously cares and is a competitor.  I fully expect the guy to get over the hump. 

Poor Rickie Fowler.  Nobody had a chance against McIlroy this week but Fowler has to elevate his game if he's expected to be the guy to contend with the top player in the world. 

GMac is going to end up going down as one of the all time Ryder Cup greats.  Dude just knows how to play this format and absolutely gets up for it.  Same with Justin Rose.   

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shit, his body has very little to do with his fall at this point regardless of whether he's taken anything in his career. It's all mental. If his head was right and he was confident in his swing, he'd be playing right now.

So a back surgery and four on one knee has nothing to do with his body?