DVDVR Message Board

A Good Walk Spoiled

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Aside from the hilarity of the quote, WOW, there is zero doubt that that is John Daly's kid.   

Hahahaha - I had the exact same thought after looking at that pic.  

He could also be Larry Zbyszko's.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Westwood has confirmed that he has requested his release from the PGA Tour and European Tour as to be able to play in the first LIV Golf Invitational event

• Sad 1

It looks like Sergio Garcia is also jumping

Sergio Garcia's frustration over a ruling on a lost ball in the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship on Thursday might have caused him to reveal where he's soon headed.

After driving his tee shot on the 10th hole into a hazard at TPC Potomac in Potomac, Maryland, Garcia became frustrated with a PGA Tour rules official, who assessed him a penalty for taking too much time while trying to find his ball. Players are allotted three minutes to find lost balls once they arrive at the vicinity of where it landed. Garcia argued that he hadn't yet started searching until he crossed a river.

"You want me to swim through the river?" Garcia asked the rules official. "I wasn't looking for the ball there. I was looking for the ball once I got onto this side. Does that make sense?"

After losing the argument, Garcia, from Spain, waved his hand in disgust and said, "I can't wait to leave this tour. ... I can't wait to get out of here, my friend."

After walking through the waist-high grass a little longer, Garcia said, "A couple of more weeks, I don't have to deal with you anymore."

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dustin Johnson has agreed to a $125M deal to join the Saudi golf tour.  

I mean jfc an eighth of a billion dollars?   No wonder gas is like $7 a gallon. 

• Sad 1

On 6/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Dustin Johnson has agreed to a $125M deal to join the Saudi golf tour.  

And it just got trumped

Phil Mickelson is officially going to the LIV Tour. He deal is $200 million

I guess my usual caveat about the NY Post applies here - but they are good about knowing about the slimy underbelly of sports

EDIT - I should clarify. Mickelson is officially playing on the LIV - that has been officially announced.

The NY Post is saying its $200 million contract

• Sad 1

So the only thing that is stopping the inevitable death of the PGA Tour is that Tiger I thought said he wanted nothing to do with the LIV tour.   I am sure with more money that will change.  Plus I don't know if 2011 Tiger Woods would have the same feelings as 2022 Tiger Woods

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So the only thing that is stopping the inevitable death of the PGA Tour is that Tiger I thought said he wanted nothing to do with the LIV tour.   I am sure with more money that will change.  Plus I don't know if 2011 Tiger Woods would have the same feelings as 2022 Tiger Woods

Well Greg Norman said Tiger turned down a high 8 figure offer that was close to a billion dollars so it looks like Tiger might be the one person who is in the position to turn down the money.

BTW - the showdown with the PGA Tour is officially on as Dustin Johnson has officially resigned from the PGA Tour (Kevin Na did so a few days ago but Na isn't on the level DJ is)

Well it doesn't really affect his ability to play the Majors - DJ will now be ineligible to play the Ryder Cup

I'm not a golf person but I find the entire situation fascinating, as I did with the Euro Football Super League debacle. I find myself in the position where I can't really take a side too strongly. I don't agree with the PGA Tour threatening to ban people for playing for LIV, that's unprecedented and possibly illegal, and as a general rule I am against companies (or groups?) treating contractors like employees. It may be their right to do, no one knows for sure, but I think it sets a bad image as they are presenting themselves as the golf dictators rather than a non-profit organization. The PGA Tour has let players play for Saudi Arabia before (and in China, which is no better than Saudi Arabia with human rights issues) so its not a moral issue, they see the LIV Tour as a threat and want to hoard the best players for their own league. Which, understandable, but a little dirty.

On the flip side, of course its hard to feel any sympathy for players accepting millions of dollars directly from the Saudi Arabia government. Lots of companies work with Saudi Arabia, and we use gas from them, but there is a difference between that and taking a 200 million dollar check directly from the government. I'm not necessarily judging them, if Saudi Arabia offered me 200 mil to manage an IT Project I'd probably be on a plane tomorrow, but they certainly aren't going to get any sympathy either as they know exactly what they are doing.

Either way its an intriguing situation, I generally enjoy when monopolies get shaken up or at least poked, the Saudi factor makes it more icky for sure but curious to see where it goes over the next couple years.

• Like 2

I will give Mickelson credit for at least being brutally honest of why he is doing it.   He is a terrible gambler and he will literally do anything to either feed it or solve it.  He isn't playing this bullshit mental gymnastics trying to convince people that the Saudi government isn't that bad or that murdering reporters is "just a mistake"  

Patrick Reed and Bryson DeChambeau reportedly jumping, shit is getting real. They must be cutting more giant checks to players to just show up. I wonder if the LIV Tour fails for whatever reason if the PGA Tour will take everyone back with no issue or will be difficult about it.