DVDVR Message Board

Scenes for Analysis (Max: 5 minutes)

Liam

I have been tasked by my school with running a Film Studies GCSE as enrichment.

Pupils have to complete a micro-analysis of a scene from a film of their choice, which involves them looking at two out of cinematography, editing, sound and mise-en-scene. The scene analysed must be no longer than five minutes long.

We can do this as a class though, where we discuss several options, and then they choose the one they want to develop further.

Any recommendations?.

Plus points:

- 15 rated or under (due to the age of the pupils)

- Clip available on Youtube

- Not too, too far into the film (this allows me to potentially show the film up to the scene, to give context).

Two I might use. Need about 5 or so.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for suggestions.

One more addendum to my original post - pupils from a south London school. Their context is incredibly limited, as is their interest to some extent. Needs to be stuff that will engage apathetic teens >_>

I had to write a similar paper last year; from the teacher's options, I ended up going with the "I Want Candy" music video part from Marie Antoinette.  I dunno if my essay contained anything which wasn't me just taking the wildest blind guesses about what might symbolize what, but at least the teacher liked it.  

The shower scene makes me think that there's plenty of Hitchcock which would qualify pretty well for this sort of thing.  Despite the split-second precision he did everything with, his technique usually tends to be relatively simple and easy to analyze.  If you want to err on the side of not boring the apathetic children, then you could go with something rather slam-bangy like the cropdusting scene from North by Northwest.  

Wait, what does 15 rated mean?

I was wondering that myself.  Doesn't seem to have a clear Hollywood equivalent.  Seems like 15-rated hovers back and forth between a hard PG-13 and a soft R.  Which makes me wonder if my next suggestion of "the elevator scene from Drive" is appropriate.  

We used to (still do?) have PG15 in Canada. I assume it's similar. So Tarantino is right out.

Kinda lame, I know, but what about the UP montage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjAFMNkCDo

Better option: the long take from near the end of CHILDREN OF MEN:

(Car scene is closer to the begging and also awesome. Actually, any segment of CHILDREN OF MEN).