DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL - WEEK FOUR

Dolfan in NYC

God damn, how the hell are the Dolphins 3-0?   Up next we have... oh.  Well, this was nice while it lasted.  Coincidentally, I cannot remember the last time a team with a losing record was an over a touchdown favorite against an undefeated team. 

In other news, I have awesome friends. My buddy picked this up on a trip to the CDMX:

Spoiler

Enjoy your week!

• Like 3

The Minnesota Vikings informed Everson Griffen and his agent last week that the star defensive end would not be allowed back to the team until he underwent a mental health evaluation, according to a police incident report obtained by ESPN's Courtney Cronin.

Leslie Pico, the Vikings' executive director of player development, told police in Minnetrista, Minnesota, that team management sent Griffen and his agent the letter on Thursday, two days before an alleged incident involving Griffen at a Minneapolis hotel.

According to the incident report, Pico told police that Griffen had been "explosive, screaming and yelling" at the team facility and that he had been struggling in recent weeks.

Even though the Vikings want Griffen to undergo the mental health evaluation, Pico told police that Griffen has not done or said anything that led the team to believe that he is a danger to himself or others.

Griffen is being evaluated at a Minneapolis-area hospital, a league source told ESPN's Josina Anderson earlier Tuesday. The source said Griffen is "getting assistance on personal matters" and that the league is "comfortable he has a good support system around him."

Pico also told police that he intended to meet with Griffen on Saturday at Hotel Ivy, where Griffen had been staying. According to a separate incident report obtained earlier Tuesday by ESPN, authorities from the Minneapolis Police Department were called Saturday to Hotel Ivy because an individual was threatening to shoot someone if he wasn't allowed in his room.

Though his name was redacted from the incident report, sources told Cronin that the individual in question at the hotel is Griffen.

Pico told police that upon meeting Griffen at the hotel that the defensive forgot why he wanted to speak to him and did not want to talk to him anymore.

Griffen did not practice last week and was listed as having a knee injury. The Vikings ruled him out of Sunday's game against the Bills because of the injury, and coach Mike Zimmer said after the game that Griffen was not in attendance because he was dealing with a personal matter.

Sources told ESPN's Josina Anderson that a number of Vikings players and coaches were not aware of Saturday's incident, even at game time on Sunday.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said Monday night in a statement that the team was "currently focused on Everson's well-being and providing the appropriate support for him and his family."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24794154/everson-griffen-barred-minnesota-vikings-ordered-undergo-mental-health-evaluation

• Sad 1

One of the recurring moments of the Dan LeBatard radio show is he always asks current and former NFL players to name the one teammate that they are terrified of, and every single one of them has an answer.  This Everson Griffen story reminds me of the fact that pretty much every team in the league has at least one player who is legitimately psychotic and no one cares if they can play.  Trevor Price, who played at 6'6" and 295 lbs. called in yesterday to talk about playing with Darryl Gardner (also 6'6" and 295 lbs.).  He pretty much said everyone on the team was so terrified of Gardner that everyone would turn to the wall and not look him in the eye when he walked past them in the hallway.  Gardner's only friend on the team was an unnamed player who was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic.  

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Griffen stuff is getting sadder and sadder (and more terrifying honestly)

https://deadspin.com/police-report-vikings-everson-griffen-jumped-out-of-an-1829304717

And even more terrifying than that...

https://deadspin.com/report-vikings-lineman-everson-griffen-threatened-to-s-1829286469

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Who is your #1 NFL psychopath?  I'm all in on Charles Haley.

I almost made a Charles Haley post instead of a John Matuszak post so yeah he's definitely up there.

Haley's #1 in 49er history at minimum to be sure (although Lott gets honorable mention for that time he chose amputation over surgery that would cause him to miss games.  And Aldon Smith did his damnedest to live up to the Haley standard and if he fell short it was for lack of time before they gave up on him and certainly not lack of effort on his part)

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I almost made a Charles Haley post instead of a John Matuszak post so yeah he's definitely up there.

Haley's #1 in 49er history at minimum to be sure (although Lott gets honorable mention for that time he chose amputation over surgery that would cause him to miss games)

I don't think Ronnie Lott is a psychopath, he's one of those dudes who is too competitive.  Charles Haley jerked off in the middle of film sessions...that's a psychopath.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I imagine Lawrence Taylor would be fairly high on anyone's list.

I'd imagine he's more Ronnie Lott than Charles Haley, but he added a bunch of "substances" on top of his hyper-competitiveness.  With that said, I've read enough about the 70s Raiders and 90s Cowboys and fell like I have a good understanding about just how crazy some of those dudes are.  I've read just about nothing on the 80s Giants, so I've only got the suitable for television LT stories...who knows what the fuck he was like on a day to day basis.   

LT was the crazy

I mean Parcells was crazy but in that genius kinda crazy way

The Giants didn't get the Dave Meggett and Mark Ingrams type psychopaths until the 2nd Super Bowl

If I was plotting this on a chart - LT is in between Lott and Haley... probably closer to Haley when you factor all the shit he (LT) was on (and his probable CTE)

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

LT was the crazy

I mean Parcells was crazy but in that genius kinda crazy way

The Giants didn't get the Dave Meggett and Mark Ingrams type psychopaths until the 2nd Super Bowl

If I was plotting this on a chart - LT is in between Lott and Haley... probably closer to Haley when you factor all the shit he (LT) was on (and his probable CTE)

Is there a "Boys Will be Boys" type book on the Giants from that era?  I'm pretty sure I'd read a book like that for every team in NFL history.  Seriously, I remember my high school football team had its fair share of crazy, I can only imagine what some of these random NFL teams have going on in their locker rooms.  

We had this dude Steve, who was a Freshman but was came onto the team as the starting varsity fullback.  I remember we were all goofing off after practice and this kid Avery made a joke about Steve.  Mind you, we were all laughing and joking, and no one was taking it seriously.  Steve, slammed Avery's face into the counter, then started elbowing him in the back of the head.  We pull Steve off of him, which was not easy for about 6 football players, and Avery is obviously hurt and we have to figure out what we are going to do.  On one hand Avery was a starting cornerback, the back up quarterback, and just a generally good dude...but Steve is fucking crazy.  So the next day we were going to go and tell the coaches what happened, but Steve got himself arrested the night before and was eventually expelled from school.  The next time I saw Steve he was at the mall going to find this dude at his job so he can beat him up for snitching on him.  

Quoting @Tabe from last week's thread

Incidentally, the "full weight on the quarterback" rule has apparently been in place since 1995.  Just got new emphasis this year.

They actually changed one word in the rule. It was a prohibition against violently and unnecessarily throwing a quarterback down and landing with all your weight on him. 

They changed the "and" to "or" so now just landing with your weight on him is a flag, regardless of the violence and/or necessity of the take down.

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They actually changed one word in the rule. It was a prohibition against violently and unnecessarily throwing a quarterback down and landing with all your weight on him. 

They changed the "and" to "or" so now just landing with your weight on him is a flag, regardless of the violence and/or necessity of the take down.

That is a massive distinction as well.  There have been a couple of flags that were legitimately a choice between making a tackle or committing a penalty.  I read something over the summer about how these rule changes take place, and one of the things that stood out is that no players are ever involved.  So, a bunch of dudes with no real expertise about how the physicality of the game works are telling the players how to play.  The article was mostly focused on the helmet lowering rule, which surprisingly hasn't been a problem, but it was really apparent that none of the people who made the rule even thought about whether or not what they were asking was possible.  They are pretty much asking these guys to defy gravity, which is impossible.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The word got changed at some point but it doesn't appear to have been this season.  The NFL has a listing of all the rule changes for 2018 and that one is not in there.  Instead it's listed as a "point of emphasis".

Either way, the way it's being called right now is not good.  They definitely need to reevaluate how much protection quarterbacks are given and just what miracles they expect defensive players to be able to perform.