DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2018

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So there's a very good Twitter account that's only job is to show us the insane amount of mascots currently in Japan.   So, for today's tweet:

Incredible.

You know, Raheem Sterling should really learn not to antagonise racists by picking up a football and smiling.

I also don't think the whole being a young, rich, successful black man helps matters either so maybe he should tone that down a little. He brings it all on himself, he really does...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a crazy Libertadores final second leg.

Pipa puts Boca up 1-0 and then Prato equalized, Barrios got sent off and it all feel apart for Boca from there.

And Gago pulled a Steven Gerrard, feel on his face and got injured leaving Boca down to 9 men.

Great game regardless of the result.

On 12/8/2018 at 4:17 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

This is crazy

Well Man City losing and Liverpool going top was an interesting turn of events. Obviously the Champions League hasn't really gone as hoped (though it's still in our hands at Anfield), but 13-3-0 is a pretty fabulous start in the League. My wish for Liverpool this season was modest - have a chance of winning the title come Christmas. It looks like we're gonna do that at least, but obviously Man City remain the favourites. They're gonna have to earn it though by the looks of things.

I would like to see the Red Bulls do something smart and target guys on River and Boca who are good but not the top European league targets. Offer good money and the idea they won't have to deal with the lunacy and violence and get to live in NYC as a bonus.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I would like to see the Red Bulls do something smart and target guys on River and Boca who are good but not the top European league targets. Offer good money and the idea they won't have to deal with the lunacy and violence and get to live in NYC as a bonus.

That's what I've been saying MLS should be doing for years. Recruit the hell out of South America and find young talent like Atlanta did and bring them in for a few years to later flip to Europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Agreed. I think MLS should follow the Atlante lead and start looking at CONMEBOL clubs for quality proven South American players.

I would love to see Darío Benedetto, Nahitan Nández or Juan Fernando Quintero stateside if no European clubs make moves for them.

Pipa is 28, but he's proven he's a quality striker and I think he would do great in Serie A for a club like Roma.

Nández is young and is a Radja Nainggolan esque type midfielder that would thrive in Italy, too. His vision, passing and sliding tackles would make him a starter for Inter, for example in a heart beat. He would be an absolute beast in MLS.

Quintero has played in Europe for a while and has been pretty great since the World Cup where he was fantastic for Colombia. I know there was rumors Madrid would take him up once the World Cup wrapped up, but he ended up in Argentina with River. I think his performance since subbing in today may have earned him some offers from European clubs again.

I know a lot of the younger South American talent doesn't want to go to MLS, aside of Ezequiel Barco, Pity Martinez and a handful of others as they see a move to MLS as the end of their chances of ever going to Europe, but I know a lot of them are also tired of playing for free when the clubs can't pay them so the MLS clubs should might as well try and pick some of these players up.

Liga MX has done a good job of scouring CONMEBOL nations for their international signings for years. Pipa Benedetto had a successful stint with Club America, but went back to Argentina. 

Jose Saturnino Cardozo had a long and successful career with Toluca from Paraguay. This is the market inefficiency that MLS should be looking at. Maybe that is what they need to finally win a Concacaf Champions League.

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

There is really no reason to hang around in the South American leagues if you don't have to.

copa.jpg

Every South American players dream is to win the Copa Libertadores. That's why South American players who go to Europe end up returning to South America to play a season or two before hanging them up. To them the Libertadores is one of the biggest achievements they could accomplish career wise, second to the World Cup and on par with the Copa América, but yes, bigger than the Champions League.

Also, I mentioned previously -- a lot of the young South American players feel going to MLS would kill their momentum of eventually going to Europe, so they prefer staying in South American where the competition if much better and their chances of eventually playing in Europe are much higher.

Miguel Almirón going to Arsenal and others possibly following suite could change that, however.

Brother got ball, it was unfortunate but I don't see that as a straight red.

Alisson is a wonderful, handsome man. Koulibaly looked like a statue against Mo in the box and what the fuck was Ospina doing overplaying the pass so badly? Mane had some sitters missed and Salah had a couple of relatively easy chances go awry, so it was way more tense than it should've been at the end when Milik got in free. But who fucking cares? Reds are through after most had written them off after the last two matches.

Image result for craig flip off

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Brother got ball, it was unfortunate but I don't see that as a straight red.

It was a studs up tackle.

That's an immediate yellow at the least. He got lucky it wasn't a straight red.

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Koulibaly looked like a statue against Mo in the box...

Yeah, Mo did what Mbappé couldn't which is quite amazing.

Sorry @Oyaji.

Also, CSKA beat Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabéu.

Given it was a reserve side of Madrid and they already won their group, they still got whistled by their fans.