DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2018

Dolfan in NYC

That Superclásico documentary is the best football documentary ever. An absolute must watch for any football fan.

Copa Libertadores is easily my favorite competition. The quality on the pitch isn't comparable to the Champions League, but the passion on the pitch far exceeds the passion on the pitch of the Champions League.

The Copa Libertadores and it's chaos is as close to pro-wrestling as football can get. 

45 from 51 and we're best price 11/4 to win the title. Mid-table sides not holding their own this year, an interesting phenomenon.

It was almost more cruel letting United think they were getting something out of this game. But they looked fucking mediocre. Hard to imagine the Mourinho experiment isn't in its death throes.

13 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

45 from 51 and we're best price 11/4 to win the title. Mid-table sides not holding their own this year, an interesting phenomenon.

It was almost more cruel letting United think they were getting something out of this game. But they looked fucking mediocre. Hard to imagine the Mourinho experiment isn't in its death throes.

I think as long as they're still in the Champions League they'll have The Chosen One poisoning the well.

I was originally worried drawing Juve, but they recently lost to Young Boys and United and struggled against Valencia.

On the other hand, Atleti against Brugge and Valladolid this past weekend and lost to Dortmund.

I'm just hoping everyone is healthy by then as there's a ton of players currently dealing with injuries.

That Lazio/Sevilla pairing from the Europa League is tasty.  I can see the winner of that tie winning the entire tournament.

5 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Might not be in it much longer

If we knock off the vile Qatari blood money FC I would almost consider this season a success.

New MLS playoff format 

Under the new plan, seven teams–up one from six–in each of the two conferences (which will each have 12 teams in 2019) will make the playoffs, with the respective No. 1 seeds earning first-round byes. The remaining six-teams in each conference will play one-game elimination matches, with the higher seed hosting. 

MLS is altering its playoff format
MLS

The three survivors in the east and west will join the top seeds in the conference semifinals, which also will be one-off matches hosted by the higher seeds. The same goes for the conference finals and MLS Cup. The away-goal tiebreaker is now a thing of the past in MLS.

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

I was originally worried drawing Juve, but they recently lost to Young Boys and United and struggled against Valencia.

On the other hand, Atleti against Brugge and Valladolid this past weekend and lost to Dortmund.

I'm just hoping everyone is healthy by then as there's a ton of players currently dealing with injuries.

That Lazio/Sevilla pairing from the Europa League is tasty.  I can see the winner of that tie winning the entire tournament.

Didn't Juve start their B team in that game only to bring on the likes of Dybala in the 2nd? 

48 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Didn't Juve start their B team in that game only to bring on the likes of Dybala in the 2nd? 

No. It had Cristiano, Mandžukić, Pjanić, Douglas Costa, etc. in the starting 11 with some guys playing different roles -- i.e., Cuadrado at LB.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

New MLS playoff format 

Thanks a whole fucking lot MLS for not being smart enough to do this before last season and completely and totally fucking us over with your idiocy. Best season in the history of the league and we got absolutely zero advantage as a reward. Fucking idiots.

MLS needs to adopt the pro/reg system with all these new clubs being created.

It would motivate a lot of players to actually put forward some effort if there was a risk of being relegated for being at the bottom of the table.

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

MLS needs to adopt the pro/reg system with all these new clubs being created.

It would motivate a lot of players to actually put forward some effort if there was a risk of being relegated for being at the bottom of the table.

You are aware people have paid hundreds of millions of dollars for franchises and you expect the league to adopt a system where they can get kicked out of the league??? Promotion/Relegation is literally impossible to implement in this country and all talk of it is complete and total fantasy.

• Like 1