DVDVR Message Board

I Never Liked Gene Colan: Fixed because I'm a Dope

Johnny Sorrow

10 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

John Romita Jr. is just the guy I don't "get" now.  I used to think it was because he drew lips weird and seemed to be trying to ape the worst parts of 80s Miller but even when that stuff changes, I still don't like it.  So of course, he gets to illustrate a bunch of huge crossovers from both companies (his art actively killed World War Hulk for me and I was FUCKING HYPED going into it).  I love his dad's work so much.

First name I thought of when i saw this thread (for current-ish guys, anyway).   Yeah, JRJR kills a lot of books for me.  Dear God, I wish someone else had drawn Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run.

To be honest, I don't get a lot of "classic" writers and artists.  I've never liked Sal Buscema even a little.  Didn't dig Joe Staton's art for a long time.  Didn't like Kirby when I was a kid (though i've come around on him in a big way).  There's a long list of Golden/Silver Age creators i just can't get into.

Speaking of recent-ish names, Tim Sale doesn't do much for me.  I want to like him because he's doing something different, but I really don't.

• Like 1

I think as a kid, I wasn't huge on Kirby, actually. When you're a kid, you're going to focus more on faces and aestheticism than panel layout and action and dynamism and whatever else. It's past Johnny's mark, but I absolutely hated Adam Pollina as a kid (and I loved Tony Daniel, who I certainly haven't been impressed with as an adult). 

I think Bill Sienkiewicz had a real effect on me, even as I picked up New Mutants 18-31 (or whatever). The Demon Bear saga legit freaked me out as a kid and there was something so powerful and "off" to how he drew Legion's first appearances just as how he made the Shadow King's possession of Karma all the more grotesque. So I appreciated it to a degree but I was also unnerved by it all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Player One said:

Speaking of recent-ish names, Tim Sale doesn't do much for me.  I want to like him because he's doing something different, but I really don't.

I am the same with Sale. I rarely fully dig his work. Just so you know we are both dead to Fowler.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I am the same with Sale. I rarely fully dig his work. Just so you know we are both dead to Fowler.

You are correct. Sale is so fucking good.

Of course, when I was kid JRjr was my first favorite artist.