DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] OCT 10, 2018 TV (Spoilers - Taped 9/20)

RIPPA

Spoiler

Week 3

- Tomasso Ciampa walks out. He says there's always one that tries to break away from the back, and get attention. He says the Velveteen Dream has his attention. Velveteen Dream comes out, calling Ciampa an angry, little bald man and questions Ciampa calling himself the greatest sports entertainer. Ciampa says the title is saying that Dream may not be "tough enough". Nikki Cross comes out. She keeps saying "I know" while slapping the mic away from Ciampa as Velveteen Dream leaves. 

- Keith Lee def. Kona Reeves

- NXT North American Championship: Ricochet (c) def. Pete Dunne and Adam Cole in a Triple Threat match

(Note: this was the last match filmed but should be airing in this spot)

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Brysynner said:

I figure Alicia Fox isn't long for WWE (she's got to be the longest employed female employee not named McMahon) but I want to see Crazy Foxy interact with Nikki Cross

They would be the best of friends and/or the worst of enemies. The important thing is the eventual tag team that should totally win tag gold.

1 hour ago, droneking said:

He didn't say his name, but Ohno mentioned Regal's bromance with his "shiny new toy," so Ohno vs. Riddle at Takeover?

I'd like Ohno going after both Matt Riddle and Keith Lee, so we could get the Kings of Wrestling vs. Lee and Riddle.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

They would be the best of friends and/or the worst of enemies. The important thing is the eventual tag team that should totally win tag gold.

They should be polar opposites of each other. Every time Nikki's bubbly and happy, Foxy is sad/angry and when Nikki is sad/angry, Foxy is bubbly and happy

• Like 1

I'm concerned Lee's character is a pose and a catchphrase and not much else.  And what's worse, its a shell of a heel character.  "Bask in my glory" is way too similar to Charlotte's "Genetically Superior" or Apollo Crews' "All too easy" in that its presumptuous and arrogant.  Now while you can be arrogant as a face, you need to have a personality to back it up and Lee may not have that personality.  Compare that to Kona Reeves who is able to revel in being an arrogant sack of crap who has a 'pretty (ugly) boy' gimmick.  While he goes to his taunt too frequently at this point, I think he gets over his character more effectively.  I would freely admit I think Reeves has a lower ceiling but he worked more to his potential here.

My take away from the main event is that Adam Cole has a real problem in the WWE tier based psychology in that he's not really, really good at anything.  So when he goes into a match with two guys that feel better than him at everything (than saying Bay Bay) we get left with the question of how he could feasibly win without using backup (and can I just say having him not have the Undisputed Era show up in the last 2 big matches has been a misstep?) .  His best skill is striking and Dunn hits better.  He's clearly outclassed everywhere else and this is against cruiserweights so I don't have any idea how he is going to compete (from a narrative standpoint) anywhere but 205 Live.  Other things of note is that Ricochet doesn't have good punches and Pete Dunn may be getting a little too cute with the finger work if its not going to matter in the match really.  It also is a bit hard to work that in a triple threat in my humbles.

Solid points about Keith but at least unlike Charlotte or Apollo he came up with his phrase and has been rolling with it for quite awhile.   I get what you're saying about his arrogance as a face which I agree but when he eventually turns heel it's going to wonderful.  And I don't know if you saw much of Cole from ROH but his best skill has never been anything related to the actual wrestling.  It was always his mouth and the dickhead antics that got him this far and he's excelled at it.   Even if he didn't have UE help him he still works great as the shit-stirrer and possible spoiler in a multi-man match.

• Like 1

'Bask in my glory' also works a lot better when Lee's tossing huge dudes around like they're nothing and following it up with some insane flip he shouldn't be able to do. If you're just catching him now in NXT, you don't really know what he's capable of and that makes his arrogance look unfounded. But it's founded. It's founded as hell.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 12:48 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Solid points about Keith but at least unlike Charlotte or Apollo he came up with his phrase and has been rolling with it for quite awhile. 

Crews was using "Too Easy" back in his Dragon Gate days as well.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It is obvious where the progression of Keith Lee should be.  The prodigy of Mark Henry.  He has the power of Mark Henry and you can definitely use his charisma to keep the Sexual Chocolate gimmick alive.   Hell make Henry like Tony Atlas was in ECW for Mark until Tony was more known for his goofy laugh and feet obsession