DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] OCT 3, 2018 TV (Spoilers - Taped 9/20)

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

ECIII would benefit from a call up at this point.  He's treading water in NXT and hasn't found his footing at all. Vince would love him, let him join the bloated Raw mid-card so I never have to see him again.  

I would trade EC3 to the main roster for Tony Nese in nxt. I'd put EC3 on Smackdown and at least give him a fighting chance. On Raw, he'd be in the middle of breaking up a Roman/Braun brawl in no time.

If NXT is getting a second hour, I'd mix in the 205 roster because they deserve to work in front of a crowd that will appreciate what they do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Which is why, despite her backstory being face leaning with her military service, Lacey is cast as a heel who cooks unflavored steaks for HER MAN.

Lacey needs to cook unflavored steaks for a real manly man.

The thing bout EC3 is that he isn’t really all that good. His matches are fine. The layout of the match against Lars was really good. The agents put together something that was NXT TV main event worthy. 

But he should have looked more desperate. Or cocksure. Or really anything. There was no emotion when he was ramming Lars into the ring steps. There was no real anything from him at all in the match as a face. Lars did a good job as a snarling monster. But EC3 gave nothing.

Maybe he is a good heel. The character is more of a natural heel, but he came in as a recognizable character from another promotion using the same gimmick from before. That is one of the downsides of the whole “Can you believe it’s him???” debut. Fans know who this person is and there is no wriggle room to develop the act, not unless the person really dives into a role like Bobby Roode. He is trapped getting a “I know this guy!!!” pop. 

If he came in as someone with a new name introduced that way he could have time to develop a fresh act. It could be the same rich playboy act. But just something unique to where he is now.

Lars on the other hand is such a throwback to an era where he would be kicking the shit out of Jimmy Valiant for Paul Jones or leading Devastation Inc. in World Class.  He just looks so THICK (while not crazy tall), he dwarfed EC3 despite the other dude being a large muscle head.  The lighting on his entrance is on point and adds to his presentation as a monster.  Hitting the flying headbutt as the finish this time will add to his matches going forward as it adds a reason WHY he goes for it.  I don't think he's hit it yet so it now adds that wrinkle.  It also looked like murder.

Neese and Gargano was such a cookie cutter 'good match' formula thing that no one will remember in 2 months.  Gargano kicking out of false finishes like John Cena only makes sense when your gimmick is John Cena.  Johnny is a scrawny little cruiserweight and going back and forth with Neese is a demonstration of not having any thought behind it other than getting their shit in.  This failed to tell the redemption story Johnny is supposed to be on.  He did nothing different, learned nothing and changed nothing about how he should be perceived to the audience.  He has good matches and okay, what else?    

The story is Johnny Gargano doing what he does best to get back on track. He's Johnny Wrestling, so he had to outwrestle Tony Nese (not Neese) who is just as capable a wrestle as Gargano. When Gargano stoops to Tomasso Ciampa's level of violence or lets Velveteen Dream get in his head, he makes costly mistakes. In your words, he's a "scrawny cruiserweight", so he shouldn't display heart and a no quit attitude? Only John Cena can have a never give up attitude? So, when anybody that isn't John Cena is down for the pin, they shouldn't show any fighting spirit or have a will to win? That's a strange viewpoint. To me, it seems you're too caught up on Gargano being "a scrawny cruiserweight" and you don't like the style of match Nese and Gargano had.

Your opening sentence tells what style and timeframe you prefer. That's fine. I like some of that as well. I don't really care for Jimmy Valiant, but I very much enjoyed Devestation Inc. in WCCW.

• Like 1

Nikki needs to make an appearance on that Purge TV show or her own WWE horror movie. She is a terrifying ball of crazy and it is fantastic.

Enjoyed Evans/LeRae. I think Evans is coming along fine and really dug the finish of LeRae getting fired up and losing her cool(which plays into Gargano's story as well) and getting KO'd. Evans really put over being in a fight after getting pummeled in the corner with the disheveled hair and smeared lipstick.

Speaking of fights the EC3/Sullivan match was quite the slaughter. I agree that EC3 has a better chance as a heel and on the main roster. He tried to bring it here, but fired up righteous babyface just doesn't seem to be his natural wheelhouse. Lars continues to look pretty great and bumps and sells well for a monster.

Forgotten Sons with a solid squash. I want to see them throw down with Lorcan/Burch aka "Justa Coupla Blokes" so they can just beat the crap out of each other.

Gargano/Nese was fine and it was fun to watch Nese do his thing in front of a more appreciative crowd, but I agree that it was a bit more of a GYSI showcase than a furthering of Gargano's story.

• 1 month later...

It is stunning to me that Lars Sullivan isn't on the main roster.   I mean I am not saying he is ready for the main roster but he is 100 times more prepared than Braun was when he debuted.  What helped Braun is that he was the 3rd man in a group and can be hidden.