DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/13/19

RIPPA

As thrilled as I am to see him leave the NL West, seeing him in STL doesn't really make me jump for joy. I would have loved to have seen him land in the AL. 

Now with Goldy gone, that Greinke deal has to be coming next, right? He has a some outrageous no-trade covering I think 15 teams in the league, but I still figure they offload him and that giant contract.

• Like 1

Almost $17 million per year for Nathan Eovaldi. That's almost a certainty to blow up in Boston's face. 

For JA Happ, I think 3/39 or 3/40 mil would get it done for the Yankees. It's more than I'd want to see them spend on a 36 y/o pitcher, but the market has been set. Either that or try to trade for Kluber, Carrasco, or Bauer. For any of three, the Yankees would probably have to give up Estevan Florial. For Kluber, it's probably Florial and Andujar.

Nothing has been done about the bullpen. Zach Britton is probably going to get a closer job elsewhere, although I'd like the Yankees to keep him. There's no reason to dick around with David Robertson. I feel him slipping away, and I have a bad feeling, to Boston. 

According to SB Nation, the Phillies have set their sights on Dallas Keuchel.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:15 PM, RIPPA said:

Because Pete posted basically clickbait bullshit

I eagerly await the Chargers retiring Johnny Unitas' number

This is where I remind everyone that my Whalers retired Pie MacKenzie's #19 despite only playing a few months for the team.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

This is where I remind everyone that my Whalers retired Pie MacKenzie's #19 despite only playing a few months for the team.

I am wholly unfamiliar with anything hockey related, so I had to look it up. This dude never played for Hartford, but he played 2 1/2 seasons for them when they were in the WHA as the New England Whalers.  His wiki makes reference to it being a PR ploy to try to appease Bruins fans and maybe get them to switch allegiances.

So, a meaningless gesture, and likely the kind of thing that shouldn't have been done, much like the idea that NYM should retire 24.

EDIT - I read this after it posted, and I feel like I am coming off like a total dick. That is not my intent, please don't take it that way.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jonathan Schoop to Minnesota,  1/7.5

The also signed Ronald Torreyes so they are going with the "Quantity over Quality" method of infielders

35 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I am wholly unfamiliar with anything hockey related, so I had to look it up. This dude never played for Hartford, but he played 2 1/2 seasons for them when they were in the WHA as the New England Whalers.  His wiki makes reference to it being a PR ploy to try to appease Bruins fans and maybe get them to switch allegiances.

So, a meaningless gesture, and likely the kind of thing that shouldn't have been done, much like the idea that NYM should retire 24.

EDIT - I read this after it posted, and I feel like I am coming off like a total dick. That is not my intent, please don't take it that way.

OK that was actually longer than I thought he was a Whaler. Think his number was actualy retired in the first NHL season and in one of the first games at the Civic Center (the Whalers spent the last half season in the WHA and first half of the first NHL season in Springfield owing to the Civic Center roof collapse). Terrible Ted Green probably deserved it more as the captain of the team that won the inaugural WHA championship in 1972.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:47 AM, BrianS81177 said:

It really is. He was so much fun to watch. Problem is, he still tries to be the same Felix he was 5+ years ago and there's just too many miles on that arm. He needs to adjust his style and focus more on control but he either hasn't thought of that, hasn't been told that or just refuses to do it. 

Frank Tanana needs to sit Felix down and tell him how you can re-invent yourself as a pitcher and stay dominant. For those of you too young to remember, Frank Tanana went from a fucking flamethrower to winning by craft, guile, and location after he threw his arm out in what was maybe his sixth or seventh season. Anyway, a bunch of friends and I were going to go to a game and see what the Kingdome was like (my God what an awful place that was for baseball), and there were two Angels games coming up the starters would be Nolan Ryan on Saturday and Frank Tanana starting Friday night (now keep in mind this is the late 1970s and Friday night is not for baseball games, it's for drinking and raising hell, and  looking for women who like guys who like drinking and raising hell). We got tickets for the Friday game because there was no way in the world that we were going to miss a chance to see Frank Tanana pitching, that's how good he was. Nolan Fucking Ryan was their number two guy. Anyway, Frank blew his arm out not long thereafter and had to change from throwing fire to throwing unhittable offspeed breaking stuff that drove batters crazy, you could always get a piece of the ball but not enough to get a decent hit out of it, you would either hit a feeble pop-up or ground out. That's what Felix needs to do, re-invent himself before it's too late.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Frank Tanana needs to sit Felix down and tell him how you can re-invent yourself as a pitcher and stay dominant. For those of you too young to remember, Frank Tanana went from a fucking flamethrower to winning by craft, guile, and location after he threw his arm out in what was maybe his sixth or seventh season. Anyway, a bunch of friends and I were going to go to a game and see what the Kingdome was like (my God what an awful place that was for baseball), and there were two Angels games coming up the starters would be Nolan Ryan on Saturday and Frank Tanana starting Friday night (now keep in mind this is the late 1970s and Friday night is not for baseball games, it's for drinking and raising hell, and  looking for women who like guys who like drinking and raising hell). We got tickets for the Friday game because there was no way in the world that we were going to miss a chance to see Frank Tanana pitching, that's how good he was. Nolan Fucking Ryan was their number two guy. Anyway, Frank blew his arm out not long thereafter and had to change from throwing fire to throwing unhittable offspeed breaking stuff that drove batters crazy, you could always get a piece of the ball but not enough to get a decent hit out of it, you would either hit a feeble pop-up or ground out. That's what Felix needs to do, re-invent himself before it's too late.

That would be Frank "I threw a shutout on the last day of the season to win the division in '87" Tanana. Loved watching him pitch. He struck out a ton of guys on 85 mph fastballs on the inside corner. 

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's too late

I'm pretty sure that you're right (damn it to hell). Fucking Mariners... At least with Jerry whatshisface making bizarre trades on a daily basis Seattle fans will have a team of fresh faces to watch underperform, so I guess that's something. Thank God I'm a Braves fan.

The Mets, Yanks and Marlins are supposedly working on some sort of three way dance that would end up with J.T. Realmuto on the Mets (Thor going somewhere is the only other name rumored about)

Somehow Dolfan is gonna blame me

• Like 1