DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/13/19

RIPPA

SF has entered the Bryce Harper sweeps as they brought him in to talk.  

SF is also bad, and also has like a quarter of a zillion dollars in an old af roster. (I legitimately did not know Evan Longoria was still in the league.) So, it's probably not happening.

Also - now this is coming from Jim Bowden so take it for what it is - but JT Realmuto will be traded to the Phillies

One of the winter’s biggest storylines has finally drawn to a close, as the Phillies and Marlins have agreed to a deal that will send star catcher J.T. Realmuto to Philadelphia, according to Jim Bowden of The Athletic (Twitter links). A four-player package will go to Miami in return, headlined by young backstop Jorge Alfaro and top pitching prospect Sixto Sanchez. Southpaw Will Stewart is one of the other pieces in the deal. The Marlins also acquire an international signing slot, per ESPN.com’s Jeff Passan (via Twitter).

If this is actually happening - then Marlins fans should probably be wearing some loose fitting clothing for the next couple of days

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Yup - no strategy in AL games.

None at all

There is strategy but there is significantly less, and don't even try to tell me I'm wrong. Part of the game that interests me is the debates on bench management and when do you take your starter out in a game if he has an at bat in the next inning. The AL game just doesn't have that element to it.

So the Phillies (barring a Machado/Harper deal) lineup should look something like this right now, right?

C Realmuto

1B Hoskins

2B Hernandez

SS Segura

3B Franco/Kingery

OF McCutchen, Herrera, Altherr

Boy if they could swing deals to get both Harper and Machado they'd have one hell of a lineup top to bottom

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also - now this is coming from Jim Bowden so take it for what it is - but JT Realmuto will be traded to the Phillies

If this is actually happening - then Marlins fans should probably be wearing some loose fitting clothing for the next couple of days

Sixto was the big hold up. Miami was making sure he was part of the deal and Philly was leaking to anyone with a Twitter account that the Marlins were being unreasonable with this demand.  

Sucks they had to give up the best catcher in baseball, but it looks like Jeter got a haul for him.   I will give this trade one (1) out of one Happy Magikarp:

c9e5310136e6c8aeb60492170aa8096de6e94757

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

There is strategy but there is significantly less, and don't even try to tell me I'm wrong. Part of the game that interests me is the debates on bench management and when do you take your starter out in a game if he has an at bat in the next inning. The AL game just doesn't have that element to it.

I am in a foul mode so originally I was going to just write "You are wrong" to be a dick.

However...

I disagree with you 100% but if you are going to drop "don't even bother telling me I am wrong" then it's not worth the conversation

26 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Damnit, another of my heroes gone. RIP Frank.

I knew of him but was never too familiar with him as I didn't really get into baseball until 89-90. I just looked up his stats and good god was he Mr. Consistency. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am in a foul mode so originally I was going to just write "You are wrong" to be a dick.

However...

I disagree with you 100% but if you are going to drop "don't even bother telling me I am wrong" then it's not worth the conversation

Yeah, that wasn't the best statement on my part, my apologies. Probably should be sleeping at this point.

But I do think there is some serious strategy involved in the Non DH part of the game that getting rid of just feels wrong to me at a core level. 6th inning, your down 2-1, your pitcher only has 70 pitches on his arm, but you have runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out, and he is coming to the plate. Do you pinch hit? How good at hitting is your pitcher? Are you in a good position to Double Switch? How good is your bullpen, and who is fresh at that moment? Who are the hitters coming up next inning? How valuable is your lead off hitter since he would be the obvious double switch candidate to move the pitchers spot down? All of those things factor into that one decision, and I LOVE the level of thought you have to put in to get to that decision. The AL has stuff like that but never to that extreme in most situations.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh stop with the kill the sport nonsense

Partly its just because they won't stop this tinkering. The sport, as it is, is fine. I do find it funny that the goal is to reduce game times, then adding the DH to the NL would do the opposite. If they lower the mound, you might as well have them pitch underhand. . .Now they should think about raising it again, that would help with the game times.   

Just now, Kuetsar said:

Partly its just because they won't stop this tinkering. The sport, as it is, is fine. I do find it funny that the goal is to reduce game times, then adding the DH to the NL would do the opposite. If they lower the mound, you might as well have them pitch underhand. . .Now they should think about raising it again, that would help with the game times.   

Are you bothered when every other sport makes changes every year?

That isn't meant to be an asshole question

But if the answer is No - then why is it you are bothered when it happens in baseball but not football (for example)

• Thanks 1

The real solution to shorter games is of course the one thing they likely would not do: cut the 2:30 commercial breaks by a minute or 90 seconds. 

Im surprised the DH was not implemented before now, once the leagues were no longer separate entities. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Are you bothered when every other sport makes changes every year?

That isn't meant to be an asshole question

But if the answer is No - then why is it you are bothered when it happens in baseball but not football (for example)

I think the thing is here when was the last time a league made that sizable of a change? The closest I can think of is the NHL making the 2 line pass legal, and that was almost always viewed as a stupid rule to begin with. With the NBA I would guess it would be putting in the 3 point line? Also, generally when the NFL changes a rule they end up looking like idiots for it from my experience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

The real solution to shorter games is of course the one thing they likely would not do: cut the 2:30 commercial breaks by a minute or 90 seconds. 

Fucking BINGO.

I find it pretty ridiculous that in this crusade to shorten the game, they don't want to budge at all on the length brought on by their insistence to sell commercials. I totally understand why, I just think it's dumb.

I don't want the DH in the NL either, but I have been very aware that the time of the NL as a separate rulebook is coming to an end. Lowering the mound is going to have the opposite effect on game times, I would think, as eliminating some of the advantage that a pitcher has will lead to higher scoring affairs.

I am pretty happy with the game today, and while some of the changes proposed will not be my favorite things, I don't have any fears that the sanctity of the game has been ruined or anything. I'm all for the league doing whatever they can to get more eyes on the baller-ass players residing in the Bigs currently, and if that means that there is a change that I am not entirely comfortable with, I am willing to at least give it a go-round to see if it changes my enjoyment of the game.

I will say I find Our dear commishes obsession with shortening games as frustrating as possible. How he thinks that is the problem with baseball instead of the sports complete inability to market its stars is absurd.

Things are going to be so fucked when we get to the next labor union thingamabob. There will be a strike, and we will lose a full season, and they are going to implement a LOT of changes when they come back.

• Like 2