DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/13/19

RIPPA

According to MLB.com, the Yankees weren't that high on Long, eventhough Long is closer to the majors than Stowers, who made his pro debut with Class A Short-Season Everett last year. 

In other Yankees news, they signed RHP Danny Farquhar to a minor league deal. On April 20, 2018 Farquhar who was pitching for the White Sox against Houston, collapsed in the home dugout. Farquhar suffered a brain hemorrhage caused by a ruptured aneurysm. Most likely, he ends up at AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Whether Farquhar makes the majors or remains at AAA, it's a nice story that he's been given the opportunity to continue playing pro ball.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'd like to imagine the 2 GMs were discussing this deal when all of a sudden Jerry DiPoto's voice came on the line: "Did somebody say trade?"

You say trade three times to make DiPotoJuice appear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will never not refer to the Blue Jays park as the Skydome. Same with the White Sox and Comiskey Park.

I don't think I've ever called where the Indians play anything other than the Jake. It will always be the Jake to me.

As for the White Sox, that place is such a dump that it deservedly gets mocked for whatever it's named, whether is US Cellular or Guaranteed Rate Field. Guaranteed Rate Field is one of the most low rent piece of shit names for a ballpark that I can think of. I never even heard of Guaranteed Rate until they bought the naming rights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I don't think I've ever called where the Indians play anything other than the Jake. It will always be the Jake to me.

As for the White Sox, that place is such a dump that it deservedly gets mocked for whatever it's named, whether is US Cellular or Guaranteed Rate Field. Guaranteed Rate Field is one of the most low rent piece of shit names for a ballpark that I can think of. I never even heard of Guaranteed Rate until they bought the naming rights.

The Jake by the Lake. How could I forget that one?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will never not refer to the Blue Jays park as the Skydome. Same with the White Sox and Comiskey Park.

The Tigers still play in Tiger Stadium for me, too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Nick Markakis is returning to the Braves

1 year, $4 million with a $6 million option for 2020

Smart move by the Braves. I remember his original 4 year deal with them was questioned by a lot of baseball writers and fans because the Braves started to dismantle. Markakis was the perfect player to help transition from a losing, rebuilding club to a division winner. I would have loved to have him on the Yankees while he was with Baltimore. This is a steal if he comes anywhere close to what he's already done with the Braves.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

This has nothing to do with naming rights, but I spent a week in Chicago this past summer and went to a Cubs-Padres game at Wrigley, a White Sox-Royals game at the Sox park, and three Chicago Dogs minor league games in Rosemont.  I must have met as many actual Dogs fans than White Sox fans.  Guaranteed Rate Field that afternoon was pretty much a place where a Cardinals fan like me could meet fans of the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Brewers, and even an occasional Royals fan, take in a major league game for cheap, and no matter what our differences were, at least we could say we weren't White Sox fans.  I also had a great root beer float at the Sox game, so they have that going for them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

If Markakis can go until he's 40, he could turn into the guy who ruins 3000 hits as a HOF benchmark.

At least until the "Whatever the Today's Game Is Called in 10 Years" Committee bollockses that up.

Would it be any worse than Hall of Famer Harold Baines?

• Like 1

To the surprise of no one - the Ms have given Ichiro a minor league deal

He will be in ST and at a minimum will play in the two games in Japan.

Beyond that - who knows

Pollock to LAD. 4 @ $55MM with a player option for a 5th year or a team buyout of $5MM. Potential opt out after 3 years if he meets a specific number of PAs. So Puig gets dealt and they replace him with a lesser player at the same money that Puig got in his reneg to avoid arbitration with CIN. I have really admired how the Dodger FO has operated thus far since their installation, but they continually make moves that I don't quite understand. Those moves continue to pay dividends mostly, so I just shut the fuck up and let it all play out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

About sums up my feelings...

Lockout 2021, here we come. 

Not that I disagree, but what are these "myriad justifications" that are referred to? There certainly hasn't been anything made public about their intent on Harper. If Pollock is a replacement for what appears to be the imminent trade of Baby Joc, and Harper still lands in LA, then all this talk means nothing. On the other hand, if Pollock is the player they get and his salary then allows them to be in on one or both of Realmuto/Kluber, then that is also a real solid game plan . As I said earlier, it's way less of a headache for me to just let them make whatever moves and see how it all works out. I don't think the rest of the West is doing anything to keep up with LAD, even though the Dodgers appear to be standing still at this point.

They didn't make a huge deal at the deadline in 2017 when people said they should have, lost the WS. They made the blockbuster in 2018, still lost the WS. At this point, I'm not sure that any plan that doesn't involve signing every marquee FA would make fans happy.

Edited by grilledcheese
spelling

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

About sums up my feelings...

Lockout 2021, here we come. 

This is just me but one reason the Dodgers might have done that is that Pollack gets $55 mil for 4 years while signing Harper would literally cost more than what like 1/3rd of all NHL teams are valued at according to Forbes.

• Like 1