DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/13/19

RIPPA

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I figured McCutchen would be a target for Theo, but maybe not at that price.

Although if that's how much they're spending for Cutch, maybe the Phillies are out of the hunt for Harper.

Considering all reports were that they were signing both Harper and Machado - I don't think cost is the issue

The details of Patrick Corbin's deal came out

Corbin’s deal includes a $2.5MM signing bonus, per Heyman, and the following yearly salaries: $12.5MM in 2019, $19MM in 2020, $24MM in 2021, $23MM in 2022, $24MM in 2023 and $35MM in 2024.

35 fucking million dollars in 2024.

Have fun with that Washington

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If only the Yankees would do the same with Jacoby Ellsbury. 

According to NBC Sports, the Oakland A's may be interested in Troy Tulowitzki. For the league minimum, he's worth a gamble. 

Yanks are lucky Ellsbury is content to pretend to be injured and collect his money.  Tulo is delusional thinking he is still an everyday starter

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 8:15 AM, RIPPA said:

The Mets, Yanks and Marlins are supposedly working on some sort of three way dance that would end up with J.T. Realmuto on the Mets (Thor going somewhere is the only other name rumored about)

Somehow Dolfan is gonna blame me

Thor would go to the Bronx in a deal sure to delight the Mets' fanbase. They'd also force him to get a haircut, which would render him useless since it's the source of his manly strength.

According to CBS Sports and MLB Network, the Yankees are re-signing JA Happ to a two year deal with an option for a third year.

Once Happ is in place, that should speed up the Sonny Gray trade talks. If I'm Cashman, I'd try offering Gray and two lower level prospects to Cincy for 2B Scooter Gennett. Then, you slide Gleyber to his natural position at SS.

One more free agent starter to cross off the list. Lance Lynn signs with the Rangers. 3 yrs/30 mil

The Reds acquire Tanner Roark from Washington for RHP Tanner Rainey.

The Angels have agreed to a 1 yr/2.5 mil deal with 1B Justin Bour.

I was honestly hoping the Yankees would sign Bour and have a lefty/righty platoon with Bour and Luke Voit. I hope Voit can be the answer, but I would have felt a lot better about Voit and Bour at first than Voit and Greg Bird. I'm well past the point of believing Bird will ever be a productive, everyday first baseman.

It's a three way deal with the Rays also involved.

The Dodgers add reliever Joe Kelly. 3 yr/25 mil. 

Jeurys Familia is going back to the Mets. 3 yr/30 mil

I've been sick at home all week, so I've had nothing to do except follow the hot stove. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dipoto can't stop, won't stop

EDIT - Apparently the Indians would be getting Carlos Santana back

The man is in a hospital bed and doing these deals. While I like this trade for the Ms, there's no telling if the the guy even suits up as a Mariner the Dipoto seems obsessive/compulsive about doing deals. I have no fucking clue what the roster is going to look like on opening day, (nor do I think does Dipoto).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was reported the Rays are or have been interested in Encarnacion, so it's possible he ends up getting dealt again. Of course, they've also been linked to another former Mariner, Nelson Cruz.

These non-stop trades which ultimately don't seem to serve any purpose other than making a deal for the sake of making a deal have me wondering if Dipoto is clinically insane or at least suffering from OCD. Just when you think they are doing a deal to dump salary, he makes another deal that negates any savings from the first transaction. I seriously have no idea what the endgame to these antics is. 

The Padres have signed 2B Ian Kinsler to 2 yr/8 mil deal.

The White Sox signed C James McCann for 1 yr/2.5 mil. The Sox have also acquired 1B/DH Yonder Alonso from Cleveland in exchange for minor league OF Alex Call. Alonso just happens to be Manny Machado's brother-in-law. Not a bad recruiting tool on the part of Sox GM, Rick Hahn.

The White Sox acquired Yonder Alonso from the Indians

Smarter folks than mean are stating that Cleveland did this mostly to free up the money to be able to keep Trevor Bauer and Corey Kluber

On 12/13/2018 at 5:28 PM, OSJ said:

These non-stop trades which ultimately don't seem to serve any purpose other than making a deal for the sake of making a deal have me wondering if Dipoto is clinically insane or at least suffering from OCD. Just when you think they are doing a deal to dump salary, he makes another deal that negates any savings from the first transaction. I seriously have no idea what the endgame to these antics is. 

Quoting from MLB trade rumors: 

Beyond the players involved in the trade, a reported $5MM will go to the Mariners from the Rays. Seattle, meanwhile, will send a reported $6MM on to the Indians and will also acquire the Cleveland org’s competitive balance pick in next year’s draft. It’s a Round B choice that currently sits at No. 77 — though the exact order of next year’s draft will be altered slightly by the compensation and draft penalization for teams signing players who have rejected qualifying offers. Regardless, the Mariners have likely added a top 80 selection to their slate of picks next summer.

Needless to say, there are some varying considerations at play here. Cash is king with regard to the notable veteran sluggers, who are certainly the most recognizable players in this deal. Encarnacion is owed $24MM through the 2019 campaign (including a buyout on a club option), while Santana’s deal promises him $35MM through 2020 (also with an option buyout).

It’s far from clear that Encarnacion will remain in Seattle when all is said and done. To the contrary, in fact, he may well go to Tampa Bay in a separate swap, per Scott Miller of Bleacher Report (via Twitter), though Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times emphasizes there’s nothing “in place or lined up” in that regard (Twitter link). With the M’s looking to shed payroll and boost their talent reserves, they’ll surely be willing to spin off Encarnacion — to the Rays or another rival — if there’s a favorable offer. After all, the organization already acquired and dumped Santana this winter.

Both Encarnacion and Santana will be looking to recover from relative down seasons. The former, 35, slashed .246/.336/.474 with 32 home runs last year, still a productive campaign but not to his usual standards. He’s seen mostly as a DH at this stage of his career, but can still line up at first base on at least a part-time basis. The 32-year-old Santana, meanwhile, turned in a .229/.352/.414 batting line and swatted 24 long balls in 679 plate appearances with the Phillies, who signed him after out-bidding the Indians but soured on the fit this winter. He’s regarded as a solid performer at first and still draws walks at an impressive clip; in 2018, in fact, he took 110 free passes while going down 93 times on strikes.

Working out the math for Seattle, the team will end up sending out $1MM while paring $11MM in obligations, resulting in a net savings of $10MM. They’ll only have one year of Encarnacion to deal along elsewhere, but they’ll also pick up the draft selection for their trouble.