DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/13/19

RIPPA

... I actually don't hate this for the Mets? 

Cano for the "in terminal decline" talk is still one of the best 2nd basemen in baseball, and they have him at a good contract with the Mariners covering so much. They also get one of the best closers in the game. And if they don't contend, they can probably trade both at the deadline for more then they gave up, cause Cano with just remaining money left is back to a strongly positive asset.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Remember - the Mariners had just moved Cano to 1st.

I am assuming he goes back to 2nd but he at least started to figure out 1st

Part of the reason for this whole thing is supposedly that Cano is upset that he lost the 2B job to Dee Gordon and was unhappy being a utility infielder. He wants to be the all time home run leader among 2B so he wants to keep playing there. 

Cano has waived his no trade clause, so the only thing left is the physicals. The deal is expected to be officially announced sometime monday. Cano, Diaz and 20 million bucks for Kelenic, Dunn, Bautista, Bruce and Swarzak. I... don't hate this. If Bruce and Swarzak can get back to 2017 form, both can be flipped at the deadline. This means after this year, the albatross contracts of both Cano and Felix Hernandez will be off the books. 

10 hours ago, elizium said:

Felix Hernandez not being any good anymore is super depressing.

It really is. He was so much fun to watch. Problem is, he still tries to be the same Felix he was 5+ years ago and there's just too many miles on that arm. He needs to adjust his style and focus more on control but he either hasn't thought of that, hasn't been told that or just refuses to do it. 

• Like 2

It's JP Crawford AND Carlos Santana

Plus the Ms might be giving up a 2nd player.

Basically - a deal is agreed upon but the details aren't final plus Jean Segura (as the link mentions) still hasn't waived his no trade and of course his agent is teasing he might not

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's JP Crawford AND Carlos Santana

Plus the Ms might be giving up a 2nd player.

Basically - a deal is agreed upon but the details aren't final plus Jean Segura (as the link mentions) still hasn't waived his no trade and of course his agent is teasing he might not

Deal is official.

Phillies get: Segura, Juan Nicasio, and James Pazos

Mariners get: JP Crawford and Carlos Santana

No money exchanged in deal.

I didn't mind the Zunino trade, and I don't hate the Cano/Diaz trade near as much as most folks up here but this one.... god what the hell was he thinking? I know Crawford was a pretty highly regarded prospect going into last season but nothing I saw of him impressed me at all. Unless they're planning on signing a stopgap veteran to play SS for a year while Crawford plays in AAA. 

So in an interview - Brian Cashman said when talking with Seattle about the James Paxton trade (which now seems forever ago) - he was told that Seattle considered three players off limits. Cashman then said "well one of those players just got traded to the Mets"

Obviously he was talking about Edwin Diaz

Then Jeff Wilpon just gave an interview where he said the Mets insisted on Diaz because "they wanted to block him from being traded to the Phillies"

So yeah...

• Haha 2

Aaron's number was retired by a team in the city that his best numbers were put up in, and by a team that had nothing else going for it due to the fact that at that point, they didn't really have a history yet. Now, that second point holds partially true, because the Mets are dogshit, but Mays' best years came in San Francisco, and the idea that because he spent 130 mediocre (at best) games in that uni should not necessitate the retirement of said number.

Besides, wasn't #24 issued to Rickey when he was with NYM? Or is that okay because Rickey is the player he is, and doesn't tarnish the legacy of Mays as a player?

I don't particularly care either way, but I think it's an interesting thing to talk about.

Kelvin Torve, bench player, wore 24 in 1990 for the Mets before Rickey did, so yeah, I don't get what people are bitching about Cano wearing 24 on a team that hasn't retired 24.

• Thanks 1

Just heard it on the Michael Kay Show, Patrick Corbin is signing with Washington for 6 yr/$140 mil.

Yankees wouldn't go beyond 5 years. Time for Cashman to hurry up and re-sign JA Happ and/or get Cleveland back on the phone for Kluber, Carrasco, or Bauer.

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Kelvin Torve, bench player, wore 24 in 1990 for the Mets before Rickey did, so yeah, I don't get what people are bitching about Cano wearing 24 on a team that hasn't retired 24.

Because Pete posted basically clickbait bullshit

I eagerly await the Chargers retiring Johnny Unitas' number

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

6 years, $140 million guaranteed

The Nats can have him

Yeah, I'm not upset over this. Corbin is a good pitcher, but he's not that good. I'd consider giving Jacob deGrom that contract, but he's already 30. Perhaps Syndergaard because he's only 26. 

Cards get Paul Goldschmidt

The Diamondbacks have announced the deal. They’ll receive right-hander Luke Weaver, catcher Carson Kelly, minor league infielder Andy Young and a Competitive Balance Round B draft selection in 2019 in exchange for the final season of Goldschmidt’s control.