DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/13/19

RIPPA

On 10/15/2018 at 1:21 PM, Tabe said:

The good news is that those cards would have cost you about $0.000002 - combined - to acquire.

I'm still not sure which would have been a bigger waste of money, that or the $300 I spent for an autographed Goudey Chuck Klein card. (Which wound up getting stolen, that's what I get for having it in a plastic slab that weighed about half a pound.) If I'd just kept it in a normal top-loader like my '57 Williams and '66-'68 Mantles and Mays cards, no one would have thought to screw with it.

The Marlins stockpiling of International Bonus money appears to be paying off as reports are that all the Victors (Victor Victor Mesa and Victor Mesa Jr) will be signing with Miami

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Angels have decided that Brad Ausmus is the man to continue wasting Mike Trout’s peak years

Why wouldn't you? The guy had three (current and future) Cy Youngs at the top of his rotation, Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, and JD Martinez and couldn't win a playoff game. Sounds like the right man for the job. 

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I hadnt heard his name as one of the choices before.

They kept saying there was one unknown candidate.  Guess he was it.  Interesting background.  Played for the Expos, was close to Vladdy Sr in his time in the minors.  They are comparing him to Gibbons in personality without being scared of that analytics witchcraft

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I would have bet on Sandy Alomar Jr. as the choice, given he ticked so many boxes. 

I guess grabbing Tampa Rays coaches is at the top of the list.  Interesting reading people complain about the hire after they complained the last few weeks that Eric Wedge would probably be the next manager.  I'm sure if they hired Sandy the fans would complain about more Cleveland people coming to Toronto

7 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I guess grabbing Tampa Rays coaches is at the top of the list.  Interesting reading people complain about the hire after they complained the last few weeks that Eric Wedge would probably be the next manager.  I'm sure if they hired Sandy the fans would complain about more Cleveland people coming to Toronto

Id have thought people would just assume Robbie would become part of the coaching staff. 

Weakening Tampa is smart since the Jay's have to pass them before trying to butt heads with NY and Boston for the division.  

Per most reports - it appears that the Mets are going with Brodie Van Wagenen as GM

Here is the blurb trade rumors wrote a few days ago

Van Wagenen would be the most outside-the-box hire the Mets could make, having no prior experience as an executive with a Major League club. The 44-year-old directly represents numerous Mets players, though, including Yoenis Cespedes and Jacob deGrom, so owners Fred and Jeff Wilpon undoubtedly have a longstanding familiarity with him. Agencies are continually becoming increasingly versed in analytics as they seek to make the best possible cases for their clients, though certainly there’d be an enormous difference between heading up an agency (even one of the game’s larger agencies) and running a baseball operations department while simultaneously addressing the media as the face of the team’s leadership.

Van Wagenen interviewed on Monday. While the New York Post’s Mike Puma has previously reported that the Mets plan on making all of the finalists available to the media after the coming wave of secondary interviews, that did not come to pass in this case owing to Van Wagenen’s still-existing agency obligations.

The Mets did release a statement from Van Wagenen, who says his “conversations with the Mets continue to be organic.” He sought to walk a fine line in his comments, concluding by writing, somewhat awkwardly: “As Jeff and Fred [Wilpon] continue their search for a new head of baseball operations, the players, fans and entire organization will be motivated to have a leader with the skills and commitment to win. If the Wilpons believe I am that person, we will have that conversation.”

As Puma writes, the obvious tension between Van Wagenen’s current role as a significant agent and his consideration for this important role with the Mets is a significant concern for some on the player side of the labor divide. Clearly, it creates a tricky situation even during the interview process. Van Wagenen would need to step away from CAA and transfer representation of his clients to others in the agency were he to ultimately take the Mets’ job.

Since the season ended - a lot of news happened yesterday (since MLB wants folks to wait till the World Series is over)

- As announced extensions for Bob Melvin, Billy Beane and David Frost. Melvin's deal takes him through 2021 and he will get $3.5 million a year

- Giants announced their are picking up the options on Madison Bumgarner ($12 million) and Pablo Sandoval (the Red Sox have to pay almost all of it so sure why not)

- D-Backs picked up Paul Goldschmidt's $14.5 million option. There is still talk they will trade him this offseason

- Sean Doolittle had his $6 million option picked up by the Nats

- Elvis Andrus is not opting out of his deal with the Rangers

- White Sox did not pick up James Shields' option. I am SHOCKED by this. SHOCKED I say.

This is possibly the new Miami Marlins logo:

Also, Sandy Gaston has signed with Tampa Bay.   Miami was the heavy favorite to land him, but per Jeter "we ran out of money" after signing the Mesa brothers. 

Well, at least he's honest. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is possibly the new Miami Marlins logo:

Also, Sandy Gaston has signed with Tampa Bay.   Miami was the heavy favorite to land him, but per Jeter "we ran out of money" after signing the Mesa brothers. 

Well, at least he's honest. 

I for one am happy the Marlin will be back on their logo. The original logo was great, the one they replaced it with pretty much sucked. Wish they had brought back the old colors while they were at it. Oh well.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, RIPPA said:

Per most reports - it appears that the Mets are going with Brodie Van Wagenen as GM

Here is the blurb trade rumors wrote a few days ago

So, it's official - the Mets went with Van Wagenen as GM.  Every one of his former clients should sue him for breach of fiduciary duty.  This is all kinds of shady.  And HAS to be a pay cut on top of it for Van Wagenen.

• Like 1