DVDVR Message Board

2018 WON Hall of Fame Ballot

RIPPA

When we did the New Japan '80s ballot, BT vs. TM was voted #173 out of 175 in the polling. His only other matches on the set were a European Rounds match with Liger, a tag with Owen against Liger and Takada, and a match from '80 against Fujinami (if him and "Tony Rocco" are the same person). That's not a good look. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

When we did the New Japan '80s ballot, BT vs. TM was voted #173 out of 175 in the polling. His only other matches on the set were a European Rounds match with Liger, a tag with Owen against Liger and Takada, and a match from '80 against Fujinami (if him and "Tony Rocco" are the same person). That's not a good look. 

It's likely not a look shared by Dave or the general WON ballot-holders though.

19 hours ago, OSJ said:

Re: Kobashi, this is probably close to exactly what went down: (Dave and John D. Williams are writing down the initial class on their flight back to Cali from wherever it was they went.) Dave: "Okay, I've got Kobashi, that's a no-brainer." JDW: "Nah, he doesn't belong in the initial class!" Dave: "Sure he does, he was really the number two guy behind Jumbo and helped solidify Misawa in the top spot." JDW: "His selling was goofy and I already told you that I'm paying for the pizza when we get home." Dave: "Do you have an eraser?"

I'm half tempted to run that by John and see how accurate it is ;)

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2018 at 4:10 AM, AxB said:

Some of us are in our 40s, and Ultimate Warrior was the overpushed talentless moron we hated when we were sixteen, seventeen years old.

Some of us are older than that and Ultimate Warrior was the overpushed talentless moron we hated when we were trying to explain to friends why we watched pro wrestling this idiot would come on tv  and two hours of the sublime story-telling of Misawa/Kawada would be wasted by this talentless fuck getting blown up running to the ring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am more excited about the idea that OSJ sent his ballot to Dave in that big of font

No, I sent it in as an attachment in Times New Roman 12pt. 

58 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Some of us are older than that and Ultimate Warrior was the overpushed talentless moron we hated when we were trying to explain to friends why we watched pro wrestling this idiot would come on tv  and two hours of the sublime story-telling of Misawa/Kawada would be wasted by this talentless fuck getting blown up running to the ring.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, OSJ said:

Some (one?) of us has just entered his 60s and we thought the Bladerunners were musclebound oafs, the Dingo Warrior was embarrassingly bad when you considered how long he'd been working and who he'd been working with, and the Ultimate Warrior  was the worst Intercontinental Champion ever and when you consider who he won the belt from that's a pretty low bar to slither under. And the thing is, we weren't wrong about any of it.

You know you've posted something great when OSJ replies to it twice.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AxB said:

You know you've posted something great when OSJ replies to it twice.

My Warrior hatred can never be contained in a single post. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I will probably have to create a separate thread when it officially comes out but for those that care - Meltzer said the WON HOF issue will be out next week and there are 7 new people

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will probably have to create a separate thread when it officially comes out but for those that care - Meltzer said the WON HOF issue will be out next week and there are 7 new people

Who will be wrestling’s Harold Baines? 

• Like 2

So, shall we post idle speculation here, or will you create a new thread? Seven inductees is a big class, I'm going to guess that both Taue and Akiyama go in this year, Villano III is a no-brainer, and I think Yohe and I have done enough pimping for Enrique Torres and Bearcat Wright to go in. I wouldn't be surprised to see three or four other lucha candidates go in, it's a pretty strong list. If this happens I'll be really pleased. On the other hand,  I could see a bunch of goofs voting for Kenny Omega, even if Dave himself has said it's far too early. 

45 minutes ago, OSJ said:

So, shall we post idle speculation here, or will you create a new thread? Seven inductees is a big class, I'm going to guess that both Taue and Akiyama go in this year, Villano III is a no-brainer, and I think Yohe and I have done enough pimping for Enrique Torres and Bearcat Wright to go in. I wouldn't be surprised to see three or four other lucha candidates go in, it's a pretty strong list. If this happens I'll be really pleased. On the other hand,  I could see a bunch of goofs voting for Kenny Omega, even if Dave himself has said it's far too early. 

I am not making another thread so here is fine

Omega and Naito are definitely going in this year because that's the way it works now

V3 SHOULD get the death bump

I also fully expect a really really old guy that Dave puts in because Yohe told him too

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not making another thread so here is fine

Omega and Naito are definitely going in this year because that's the way it works now

V3 SHOULD get the death bump

I also fully expect a really really old guy that Dave puts in because Yohe told him too

Yeah, I can see those choices. Naito is one of my favorite current wrestlers, but no way does he belong in yet. V3 is a no-brainer both due to discussion I've seen and the death bump. 

As far as really old guys, Yohe and I have spent most of the year pimping really old dead guys. To whit, Enrique Torres and Bearcat Wright. I'll not be surprised to see one or both go in. I really wish that Dave would create a message board or e-mail list for the voters to discuss candidates. The only way that the lucha logjam gets broken up is if we voters can discuss and agree on a candidate or two. Without that discourse the voting is so fragmented that no one gets in, which is a damn shame.

The Folks who just missed

Los Misioneros de la Muerte (needed 6 more votes)

Jun Akiyama (needed 9 more votes)

Villano 3 (needed 9 more votes)

Ultimo Guerrero (needed 9 more votes)

As far as I can tell that is everyone who missed by single digit votes

And to prep for next year

Less than 10% of votes from region and dropped from next year’s ballot:

Samoa Joe, Paul Jones, Horst Hoffman, Ed Francis, Johnny Barend, Ruben Juarez, Universo 2000, Vampiro, Steve Rickard

Dropped from next year’s ballot due to the 15 year/50% rule:

Kiyoshi Tamura, Blue Panther, Red Bastien, Johnny “Wrestling II” Walker, John Tolos, Cien Caras

Added to the ballot next year:

Jose Lothario, Dick Slater, Morris Sigel, Bob Caudle, Matt & Jeff Hardy, Valiant Brothers, George Kidd, Tomohiro Ishii, James Melby, Stephanie McMahon, Volador Jr., Grand Wizard

Will be dropped next year if not inducted or 50%:

Don Owen, Jun Akiyama, Villano III