DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] September 19, 2018 TV Show

ChesterCopperpot

Holy crap. Richochet is my favorite wrestler. Pete Dunne is my favorite wrestler. All of the stars.

Was this at the same taping as that epic Dream/Gargano match? If so, why weren’t people raving that they got to see one of the all-time single best nights of wrestling?

This was  A Song of Fire & Ice and ended the only way that it possibly could have. Omega/Okada be damned, this was epic poetry in the ring. NXT has had technically better matches, but when you factor in the backstory of mat-based British Strong Style against Ricochet's aerial assault and how they played perfectly off each other, it just doesn't get any better than this. NA MOTY and maybe MOTY period, I'm going to have to calm down and re-watch it with a more critical eye, but as of this moment a million, bazillion stars.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Amazing match between Pete Dunne and Ricochet. Really like how Dunne works a body part, the manipulations he puts into them. 2018 is the best year in NXT history and we've still got more of it to come.

That's a hell of a bold statement, thing is, I don't think that you're wrong.

• Like 2

I love the interference from Undisputed Era was just enough to cause the double DQ, but not enough to detract from what was a great match. Get in, do your damage, and hightail it out. Plus, we know where it's going to lead, and it's going to be awesome.

At some point in the next year, I'd love to see UE holding all the men's titles like they were the Horsemen with the World, US, and tag titles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turk128 said:

Yeah, that was pretty amazing.

For a second I thought Tyson Kidd had made a comeback when Humberto Carrillo came out!

Ditto.

The women's tag gets a full WCW Worldwide point from me.  I really liked how the heels worked good heat without popping the crowd with spots and just mauled the spunky babyfaces.  Can you tell I cannot remember either how to spell anyone's name or what their names are?

The Ricochet/Dunn match ran a very fine line of Ricochet is selling his hand and wrist in transitions but its not effecting his offense in any way BUT also it really shouldn't effect his agility spots other than supporting him spring boarding which I buy just fine.

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

Ditto.

The women's tag gets a full WCW Worldwide point from me.  I really liked how the heels worked good heat without popping the crowd with spots and just mauled the spunky babyfaces.  Can you tell I cannot remember either how to spell anyone's name or what their names are?

It was Dakota Kai & Deonna Purrazzo vs. Lacey Evans & Aliyah.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:21 AM, Goodear said:

The women's tag gets a full WCW Worldwide point from me.  I really liked how the heels worked good heat without popping the crowd with spots and just mauled the spunky babyfaces.  

This. I went to the show in Detroit a couple weekends ago and that was the first thing that stood out to me: The heels wrestled like heels. There were hardly any big spots in the first half of the show, but the matches got heat and the character work was over. It was such a simple, stripped down approach that I wish I saw more of. Then, towards the end of the show, when the big spots happened, it seemed they got more of a reaction. That show RULED. The only thing that stopped it from being more fun than the last time they came through was the fact that I was dead tired from not getting enough sleep the night before. I'm not used to matinees and I sleep in too late. 

• Like 1

NXT has really done a great job with a lot of its heels not doing anything flashy at all. I remember when heel Corey Graves was getting a push pre-condition that included a win over Sami Zayn (that may have come via knockout). A lot of people were crapping on Graces for being boring but then it sorta hit a lot of people at once that... oh,  crap, he isn’t giving any fans any reason to like him and that’s really awesome. Elias was in that same formula, too. Bobby Roode also had a lot of that but was oozing in a lot of shtick.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 5:27 PM, keith_h said:

Did Meltzer rate Dunne/Ricochet yet?

4 1/2 and he said it would have been higher "with a real finish"

EDIT

Here is the full quote

I gave it ****½ and it would have been higher with a real finish, and perhaps a lot higher with a strong build to a finish with a real climax. It was pretty much like being near the level of a classic match, but without the intensity of build to the finish because there was a non-finish and it came out of where. It’s too bad they had to take one for the angle, because this was on par with some of the best NXT matches but the nature of the finish was that the most important aspect of the match, the build to the finish and the finish, weren’t there

• Like 1