DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 137: Santos vs. Anders (9/22/2018) - São Paulo, Brazil (Ginásio do Ibirapuera)

Elsalvajeloco

No joke. There were some violent finishes tonight and those two Yankee doodle football players took way, way too much damage. I can't believe I watched 7 hours of UFC today. It didn't feel like it and sure I had other shit going on but still... 7 hours. 

• Like 2

Brazilian shows always feel the longest. I also didn't help that they start half past instead of the top of the hour. When you're also trying to watch football and the football games also delay the fights, you get thrown off easily. It was a still good show even with some sloppy fights, but I think it would best to trim one fight off the card at least for next year. I know it's harder when you only go to a certain market two or three times a year, but I think it would benefit the viewers who want to see the majority of the card. I know the ESPN shows for Top Rank are only 3 or 4 fights at most, but I think having only four or five fights on the prelims for ESPN+ makes it seem tolerable. Usually, it's all decent to good prospects. So if one card has to inherit the fat from the another card (ex. random heavyweight fight w/ guys who seem like UFC no hopers), it would probably be best to beef up that particular undercard around it.

Renan Barao's MMA record prior to USADA testing: 32-2-0 (1NC).

Renan Barao's MMA record since USADA testing started: 1-5.

Do you think he might maybe have been having a little help? Also, see with guys who miss weight. If you've got a situation where, for argument's sake one guy is new and he's on a $5000 to show, $5000 to win deal, but his opponent is an established veteran making $20,000 to show and $20,000 to win. And the veteran misses weight, so giving up 30% of his purse to his opponent. 30% of $20,000, is $6000. The new guy's loss bonus* is now bigger than his win bonus, in the extreme short term (obviously beating an established vet would boost your asking price on your next deal, but a lot of those indy guys live hand to mouth and paycheck to paycheck). Would the company up someone's win bonus in this situation, to prevent incentivising failure?

* No loss bonus could ever be as big as Mark Coleman's, in the Takada fight.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Renan Barao's MMA record prior to USADA testing: 32-2-0 (1NC).

Renan Barao's MMA record since USADA testing started: 1-5.

Do you think he might maybe have been having a little help? Also, see with guys who miss weight. If you've got a situation where, for argument's sake one guy is new and he's on a $5000 to show, $5000 to win deal, but his opponent is an established veteran making $20,000 to show and $20,000 to win. And the veteran misses weight, so giving up 30% of his purse to his opponent. 30% of $20,000, is $6000. The new guy's loss bonus* is now bigger than his win bonus, in the extreme short term (obviously beating an established vet would boost your asking price on your next deal, but a lot of those indy guys live hand to mouth and paycheck to paycheck). Would the company up someone's win bonus in this situation, to prevent incentivising failure?

* No loss bonus could ever be as big as Mark Coleman's, in the Takada fight.

He should not be fighting at 135. People were bringing up Do Bronx wanting to go back to featherweight, but Renan Barao either is on the verge of death getting down to 135 or he has exactly six minutes of fighting in him before he fades. Barao doesn't want to be a small featherweight and I get that, but that's only way he stays in the UFC. 

He missed weight by seven pounds. He's getting moved up in weight whether he likes it or not, assuming they keep him. Going 1-5 isn't the best way to stay in the UFC, unless you're some kind of super money draw.

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

He missed weight by seven pounds. He's getting moved up in weight whether he likes it or not

That's not always the case. If he fought in the states, there would be pressure to do that. California made the Sterling fight a catchweight fight. CABMMA really hasn't told people to move up in weight. If your job is on the line in your next fight, you probably need to fight at your optimum weight. Now whether he does that or not...up to him. He fought three prospects who fight at bantamweight in three consecutive fights and lost to all of them.