DVDVR Message Board

WWE Evolution - 10/28/2018

Dolfan in NYC

I fucking loved this show. Everything from top to bottom was really enjoyable. I thought the lightning and atmosphere was great. We got different and better camera work than what we're used to. 

Becky vs Charlotte was amazing and felt like a proper end to the feud. It doesn't feel like we get that a lot these days in WWE. 

My ONLY complaint has to do with editing in boos during the Becky video package. She got cheered like crazy. Stop fucking trying to portray Becky as a hell you dopes. Stop fighting against your audience all the time. 

• Like 7

qggmc8bre1v11.jpg

The only one's I can't find are the Bellas, which a) shitty kayfabe or b) going to earn them a world of shit for not celebrating with everyone else.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say c) I just can't see them

6 hours ago, RIShane said:

It seems like judging from that post-match shot (and from the Raw preview) that we're getting Ronda/Nia at Survivor Series. Not sure what they're doing for Becky's SDL title just yet.

In a just world where racist hillbilly Road Dogg isn't writing for racist hillbilly Vince McMahon, it would be Becky/Asuka.

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Am I the only one who saw Meiko in the crowd and got a little pissed they could bring her in for that, but not at least give her some sort of match?

I was more disappointed than pissed. The MYC competitors showing up to watch the final is par for course.

You have to feel good for Becky given all that she's been through, both before she made it to the company and since she's gotten there. I didn't see everything but I did see some and that that felt like her night in a lot of ways. I don't think it's going to matter in six months, but on October 28, 2018, she was a star. She was able to own being a star. She was able to revel in it. She was able to take pride in it. I think people will look back on this PPV in years to come due to the novelty of it, at least now and again, and what's going to stand out is her standing in the ring during the introductions, chin pointed, eyes focused, with the crowd chanting for her and Becky owning it completely.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You have to feel good for Becky given all that she's been through, both before she made it to the company and since she's gotten there. I didn't see everything but I did see some and that that felt like her night in a lot of ways. I don't think it's going to matter in six months, but on October 28, 2018, she was a star. She was able to own being a star. She was able to revel in it. She was able to take pride in it. I think people will look back on this PPV in years to come due to the novelty of it, at least now and again, and what's going to stand out is her standing in the ring during the introductions, chin pointed, eyes focused, with the crowd chanting for her and Becky owning it completely.

Well put. I'm chuffed for Becky Lynch.

Becky Lynch never won the NXT Women's Championship, became the first WWE Smackdown Live Women's Champion at Backlash 2016. From then till SummerSlam this year, Lynch remained over despite not getting the backing/pushes she merited. Testament to Straight Fire and the fans connections.

Becky Balboa got the biggest reaction at SummerSlam beating on Charlotte Flair after the match, defeated her to become champion at Hell in a Cell. Becky just won't be booed as Lynch is so likeable. THAT line to Edge was brutal. I'd say Savage Becky is the best thing going in WWE today. 

#TeamLassKicker.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Really? I though McCool didn't look that great during the RR. She looked better during her time as a regular and tonight's show.

Yeah Michelle looked off to me at RR. Tonight was more on par with what she was doing on the main roster, which was good stuff IMO.

I wouldn't mind if this is the last we see of the Bellas for a while. Brie is a terrible at all things wrestling. You don't have to be Lance Storm, Austin Aries, or any other wrestler with their backwards "unless you've done it, you can't critique" mindset to see that.

While Nikki is solid in the ring, I feel like she was on offense far too long in this match. I would have had this match before Becky/Charlotte, with it being closer to Ronda/Alexa. I did like Ronda's post-match shout-out to Roman about kicking leukemia's ass.

Charlotte and Becky deserved to close the show. The majority of the crowd would have still gone home happy, but WWE doesn't care about sending the crowds home happy anymore anyway. That's clear when they do non-finishes in ppv main events. 

I don't care if it was by nefarious means, I am so glad Shayna is the nxt women's champion again. It just feels right. I wouldn't mind a feud between Shayna and the other two Horsewomen that aren't Ronda vs. Kairi, Io Shirai, and Meiko Satomura. If Meiko doesn't stick around for a little while, you could always put Nikki Cross in that spot to re-kindle the Shayna/Nikki rivalry. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I thought Michelle McCool was going to do the Faith Breaker...I mean Styles Clash when she had someone in position to last night. 

I hate the nepotism that comes along with Michelle McCool. There was no reason for her to have five eliminations in the rumble and no reason for her lasting as long as she did in the battle royal, other than not wanting to piss off her husband. I might catch heat from the board from this, that's fine because I'm pretty sure I have heat with the non-Seinfeld fans anyway, but McCool looks dangerously skinny. To me, she looks anorexic. I find Taker's preference for malnourished, haggish looking blondes a bit off-putting.

• Like 2

Not only was this top to bottom a great show with lots of great ringwork, but I have to echo what a lot of others are saying about the production aspect-- much more NXT like with the lighting etc. and I really liked the unique stage. Even though it was only three damn giant screens mashed together, it was still much more aesthetically pleasing to me than the one normally used, and helped the show seem like something different and special. Funny to see people elsewhere who usually bitch about it writing about how it felt like just a house show and WWE must view the women as lesser because they "didn't even bother" to bring the big Raw/SD set.

Really great show and so well laid out. First two matches set the tone and then every match after that got better and better, peaking with Becky and Charlotte, and then they end the night with trademark WWE gaga and a feel good moment. And the presentation was great. And it didn’t take all night!

This has a good chance of being my favourite main roster card of the year.

• Like 3

Couple things since I see it being brought up a few times here.   Sasha has done that same dive over the ropes a million times,  most notably during her match with Bayley at NXT Brooklyn.  This time it did not look good but the spot was always for The Squad to catch her and dump her into the guardrail.  

Sasha was great (as was everyone else) during that match, she was good on offense,  she was fantastic with her bumping for the Riotts,  so to pick her apart because one move looked bad is insane.  Charlotte missed a moonsault. Alicia Fox mistimed a run-in. Brie jumped on the shoulders of Ronda.  There were many other instances were something didn't look great..   and that's on any show men or women.  

For some of you and you know who you are to constantly pick at Sasha, it sounds personal.  Her resume speaks for itself. She's done more than enough, she is allowed to make a mistake.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To tie into the Becky heel/face thing - this video reminded me

In those pre-PPV videos, Becky talked about having a hit list of all the people who turned on her. So that plays into the challenge everyone on all the rosters thing.

So she at least seems to be playing the character more as a loaner/tweener (even if the WWE really wants to portray her as traditional heel - editing in all those boos really worked out for them ?)

Jesus man. She's not a car. She's not a possession. She's a successful, talented, strong, beautiful woman. I'd expect better from an admin.

Yes, I know you meant loner.

• Haha 2

@Niners Fan in CT ''A million times'' isn't the one time I've ever seen her do it years ago. She completely screwed up the dive, tilting over the ropes like Kane would exit the ring in the attitude era. The silver lining was it made the job of catching her way easier for the Riott squad girls. The throw into the guard rail (that weren't protected last night. which was odd) looked stiff as hell.  

She's a solid base worker, really good in fact. But repetitively does stupid shit. It's like she watched Io Shirai fly around, got momentarily inspired and then crashed and burned because she isn't naturally a flyer. There's an element of the Will Ospreay about her, pushing the limits when the limits don't need to be pushed.

• Like 1

I'm praying they strap the rocket to Becky and give her a long run like to Mania at the earliest. I was worried they were gonna give the strap back to Charolette cuz how they've been booking it as Becky running away from Charolette at every turn and Charolette chasing that pin but we are save at least for another day.

I don't know where Charolette vs Becky is going it's probably going to end with Charolette pinning Becky for Becky for the belt at the Royal Rumble but it shouldn't.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

She completely screwed up the dive

She hits them (the one over the ropes and the one through the ropes) more often than not. She likely had a better hit rate than Billy Kidman.  Charlotte has overshot her moonsault many times but it's Sasha that receives more online criticism than any other female performer.  I don't buy that these people are worried about her safety,  if she wants to continue doing them then allow her to.  Many of the criticisms are cover for "I don't like her, she didn't sign my autograph when I sat outside her hotel."   

Did the show sell out on the secondary market? The lighting was really weird for a WWE show. It looked like the lighting Impact was using for TV tapings two years back 

They put Ronda/Nikki on youtube and it was really bad. Nikki has some things she does well, but she has little self awareness. She should be working evenly on the mat with Ronda. Nia seems to have been Ronda's best opponent so far because visually, you can buy her beating her down. 

This needed Nikki cheating like hell with pro wrestling tropes to stay even. But Nikki thinks she is Bull Nakano or something. 

• Like 1