DVDVR Message Board

WWE Evolution - 10/28/2018

Dolfan in NYC

This is the new thread for the all-female PPV coming in a month.  

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Nikki Bella

LAST WOMAN STANDING MATCH FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Becky Lynch (c) vs. Charlotte

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Kairi Sane (c) vs. Shayna Bazsler

FOR THE NXT UK WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: TBD (spoilers) vs. TBD

FINALS OF THE 2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC: Io Shirai vs. Toni Storm

#1 CONTENDER BATTLE ROYALE: *Everyone else*

Alexa Bliss/Mickie James vs. Trish Stratus/Lita

The Riott Squad vs. Sasha Banks/Bayley/Nattie

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’ve not been paying much attention to the UK stuff. That particular champ is news to me. Has that been airing and I just haven’t noticed? 

Nope - none of it has aired and might never air.

So technically that is a spoiler too

Charlotte Flair on why she'd rather wrestle Becky at Evolution than face Trish or Lita:

“I don’t... it’s not that I don’t dream about wrestling Trish or Lita but with the current storyline with Becky Lynch and I being so heated, it means that much more. It’s not like, 'oh there’s just this match that’s going to be thrown out on the card because it would be exciting'. What makes it exciting is the storyline behind it. You see these two best friends competing for the top place, and then Becky evolving. So it’s not that I wouldn’t want to but it’s all about the story.”

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/9/23/17894352/charlotte-becky-lynch-wwe-evolution

• Like 4

If they had any sense, they would announce a Charlotte vs. Becky I Quit match. Have it be their version of Flair vs. Funk in 89. 

On my twitter feed I saw this tweet by this woman who is a huge women's wrestling fan and shes all "they announced 50 women from the past, present and future will be there..but they haven't said what they'll be doing". I didn't really have the heart to respond by being there it means we'll see say Lei Lani Kai in the crowd for a couple of seconds or Wendy Richter and Madusa backstage in a wacky segment with Asuka and Naomi. 

• Like 3

On 9/27/2018 at 4:32 AM, Phantom Lord said:

If they had any sense, they would announce a Charlotte vs. Becky I Quit match. Have it be their version of Flair vs. Funk in 89. 

On my twitter feed I saw this tweet by this woman who is a huge women's wrestling fan and shes all "they announced 50 women from the past, present and future will be there..but they haven't said what they'll be doing". I didn't really have the heart to respond by being there it means we'll see say Lei Lani Kai in the crowd for a couple of seconds or Wendy Richter and Madusa backstage in a wacky segment with Asuka and Naomi. 

They still might do an I Quit. The most logical booking is a no-contest in Melbourne this weekend, then a heated stipulation match for Evolution. (Which I would say officially ends the feud, but then they're already doing a cage match at Starrcade and a match on the MSG Boxing Day show, so at the very least this is going to be a long house-show programme.)

Also, an interesting ad from Raw tonight:

6 hours ago, Jamal said:

It's crazy that this is happening in just a few weeks and it feels like we still know nothing lol 

I'm sure most of the people in the company don't know anything. This quote comes from Lita about how she found out about her match with Mickie at the PPV.

“We were told a while ago that there was going to be an all-women pay-per-view and they were still getting it together, but they asked if I’d be interested in being a part of it in some capacity – and I told them to count me in. That’s pretty much all the conversation was. I didn’t know if I’d be doing commentary or even just being invited to attend to support the women. And then I found out when you all did that Mickie James would be my opponent and I would not just be a part of Evolution but I’d actually be in the ring. That’s when you just hold your breath and go with it.” 

Yeah, this is all ready shaping up to be bad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I'm sure most of the people in the company don't know anything. This quote comes from Lita about how she found out about her match with Mickie at the PPV.

I hope there isn't going to be a Lita moonsault. She might break Mickie's face.

• Like 1

The best use of Lita would have been have her come out, wave to the crowd, say something about how she's proud be a part of the show and the evolution of women's wrestling, then leave.

If I wanted to drink myself into a stupor, I'd play the Evolution drinking game. Take a shot everytime evolution is uttered throughout the show.

They've barely mentioned this event in weeks.  Remember the first couple weeks after the initial announcement it's all they talked about.  I'm beginning to think they want to quickly sweep this under the rug but we'll see.  Maybe it's because they have spent so much time on the Australia show.  Still,   no real story lines or announcements other than Alexa/Trish being announced on social media and it's less than a month away.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

On the bright side, if Lita is wrestling, she prob isnt part of the broadcast team. 

Honestly, I think she would be fine with Cole or Graves. She was better than JR last year during the MYC. That said Beth pretty good so I'm happy she is doing it instead.

42 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They've barely mentioned this event in weeks.  Remember the first couple weeks after the initial announcement it's all they talked about.  I'm beginning to think they want to quickly sweep this under the rug but we'll see.  Maybe it's because they have spent so much time on the Australia show.  Still,   no real story lines or announcements other than Alexa/Trish being announced on social media and it's less than a month away.  

Pretty sure they have mentioned it every week. The focus has just been on SSD recently. I expect after that we will see bigger build up for Evolution. They have been treating this as a regular ppv in terms of build.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Aren't they trying to sell tickets to this though? Last I heard it wasn't selling likely because nobody knows what it will look like 

They're sabotaging the show, so Vince can say, "See, I told you. Broads don't draw money. They need to stay in the kitchen, damn it! ...and why are they allowed to vote anyway? Now, let's focus on something more important, all that Saudi I'm making!".

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I agree in general, but Charlotte/Becky has gotten so much build that its been functioning as SDL's main-event programme of late.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:01 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is the new thread for the all-female PPV coming in a month.  

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Ronda Rousey (c) vs. TBD

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Becky Lynch (c) vs. TBD

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Kairi Sane (c) vs. TBD

FOR THE NXT UK WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: TBD (spoilers) vs. TBD

FINALS OF THE 2018 MAE YOUNG CLASSIC:

Alexa Bliss vs. Trish Stratus

Lita vs. Mickie James

If its true tickets are not selling fast. Maybe not announcing one title match has something to do with it. 

Though it might be doing the women a favor, by giving them an excuse for bombing. I don't think women's wrestling has nearly the fanbase WWE or people online thinks it does. 

15 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Oh wow. That's crazy

On 9/24/2018 at 8:14 PM, RIShane said:

Charlotte Flair on why she'd rather wrestle Becky at Evolution than face Trish or Lita:

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/9/23/17894352/charlotte-becky-lynch-wwe-evolution

I feel like such a cynic, but I feel like if there is anything that will get Charlotte in the offices bad books it will be questioning "dream matches"... 

The problem with running this show is that 90% of the women are presented as mid-carders at best, and they haven't done anything to change that perception in the build-up to the show. So, you're banking on the novelty of the event, and the idea that there are a large amount of people clamouring for the women to get a chance, and who are willing to support a poorly booked show as a sign of good will. And the only two returning stars who really mean anything are Trish and Lita. While they were both very popular, neither were ever presented as main event attractions. So what you have is a show of midcarders, boosted by the appearance of a couple of popular midcarders from the past.

If you substitute the women for men of comparative star power/popularity/level of push, what would that card look like? I don't think it would be too inspiring, but I think fans would be more confident about the match quality at least.