DVDVR Message Board

2018 NFL - WEEK THREE

Dolfan in NYC

This reminds me of when I was a kid and Young was out for an indefinite period of time and then Rice got hurt and he couldn't come back until the last week of the season and then he got hurt again.  I think it was 1997 because the 49ers torched the Broncos the week Rice came back and then the Broncos went on to win the Super Bowl that year. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This reminds me of when I was a kid and Young was out for an indefinite period of time and then Rice got hurt and he couldn't come back until the last week of the season and then he got hurt again.  I think it was 1997 because the 49ers torched the Broncos the week Rice came back and then the Broncos went on to win the Super Bowl that year. 

because Warren Sapp was always Dirty As Hell, yes.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is that the year Rice rushed back from injury then broke his kneecap his first game back?

Yes.

And they had Owens and Still Giving A Shit JJ Stokes [and rookie Pretty Fly For A White Guy Ed McCaffery] and the last year of Brent Jones so they were actually doing quite fine without him

55 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looks like Jimmy tore his ACL.  So he's done.  On the bright side the niners can get out of this contract in 2 years and he only counts as $20 million towards the cap next season.  They will have tons of space to consider someone else or draft a guy.  

This season is over though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's because Rodgers broke his collarbone last year. It's fucking dumb, but there you go.

Yeah, if people don't spend all offseason pissing and moaning about what was a perfectly legal hit on Aaron Rodgers by Anthony Barr, we don't have to deal with any of this bullshit.

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of Trubisky, HE FUCKING SUUUUUCKS. Previous series AZ blitzed and Mitch ran back a bunch of yards like a QB in Tecmo Bowl.

This series he fumbled while scrambling. That's it. Ball wasn't ripped out or punched. Mitch just coughed it up. 

It looks like their defense has finally gotten things rolling, but the offense cannot score to save their lives today.

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

My dad's a Raider/Niner fan like me but it was actually seeing Mike McCarthy screaming at the ref over the Clay Matthews penalty that inspired his latest Old Man Creative Protest idea.

When the refs start jobbing you out on defense, you stop sending a defense out there (save for one token guy who can stand or better yet kneel on the goal line), tell the refs "I'm not letting my guys get injured for nothing.  Since you've decided we're not allowed to compete, we won't.  Fuck You."

[The offense counterpart is to start punting on first down, for the sake of completionism]

Embarrass the league into change, since there's no in-game recourse for bad penalty calls, the only other option is protest.

Can't run any highlights from the game if one team refuses to play.

The Packers almost did this with the meaningless extra point after the Fail Mary in Seattle, and they totally should have.

I was actually talking about the bullshit that meant we couldn't watch the ATl-NO overtime. :) The question is, how long until a defensive player figures he's going to get nailed anyway, so why not get his $$$ worth and REALLY go after a QB?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I was actually talking about the bullshit that meant we couldn't watch the ATl-NO overtime. :) The question is, how long until a defensive player figures he's going to get nailed anyway, so why not get his $$$ worth and REALLY go after a QB?

Especially in a playoff game.  Especially with a role player who a team can afford to lose to ejection.  How long before someone does the math and figures out*

15 Yards + Our 5th Best Lineman

- their star starting QB they literally can't win without?

= we won that tradeoff and the game

Baseball teams put in their shittiest reliever when they want to throw at a guy.  Hockey teams keep a goon on staff.  If Football teams don't already have this position on the down low they're going to develop it soon.

* = SPOILER:  they've already figured it out.  It just comes down to teams being bold enough to be unsubtle/flagrant about it now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man you thought Andrew Luck got shit on for not throwing the hail mary.  Arizona is bringing in Josh Rosen late in the 4th quarter needing a score to win.  I mean Bradford has sucked but seriously why now do you debut him

LOOOOOOOOL

GG WP

11 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Especially in a playoff game.  Especially with a role player who a team can afford to lose to ejection.  How long before someone does the math and figures out*

15 Yards + Our 5th Best Lineman

- their star starting QB they literally can't win without?

= we won that tradeoff and the game

Baseball teams put in their shittiest reliever when they want to throw at a guy.  Hockey teams keep a goon on staff.  If Football teams don't already have this position on the down low they're going to develop it soon.

* = SPOILER:  they've already figured it out.  It just comes down to teams being bold enough to be unsubtle/flagrant about it now.

This was a legal hit in 1985 as Eric Hipple was inbounds. But nowadays, why not get your money's worth with a hit like this:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

Bears barely win a road game in Arizona, due to horrendous offense and great defense.  This seems to ring a bell.......

All we need is a guy who can return kicks for TDs every week and we'll be in the SuperBowl.

• Haha 1