DVDVR Message Board

Lost/Missing/Unfinished albums

Brian Fowler

On 9/19/2018 at 12:53 PM, Curt McGirt said:

How about best lost/missing albums that were finally found?

Two that existed in incomplete bootlegs for years that got real releases, Sabbath related

In 1996 Tony Iommi and Glenn Hughes get back together, record some shit, Ozzy reunion finally happens, project gets dropped. It was bootlegged under the unimaginative name The Eighth Star. In 2004, they finally finish it. Completely new drums (the original drummer was convicted of attempted rape) a few reworked songs, one song that never leaked. Given the even more unimaginative title of 1996 DEP Sessions. They then did a new album together, Fused. These are both solid releases, and honestly they make Black Sabbath's The Seventh Star better in retrospect, as it stands much better as the first album in the Iommi/Hughes trilogy than the 12th Sabs album.

Of course, immediately after recording Seventh Star, Glenn was fired a few dates into the tour. Cocaine useage and bad performances. Ray Gillen replaced him. With an incredibly unstable lineup, Tony leads them into recording a new album. Bob Daisley left to return to Gary Moore's band immediately after finishing the bass tracks. Then Eric Singer kinda quit as the band collapsed. Somehow they finished the album. Then Ray quit (eventually Ray and Eric hooked up with Jake E. Lee for the awesome and underrated Badlands.) Tony didn't want to bring out a different singer than who was on the album again, so he hired Tony the Cat Martin to redo the vocals. That version was released as The Eternal Idol. A good chunk of the original version leaked and was often paired with some Seventh Star live material as a bootleg, but the quality was bad. Then the Black Sabbath deluxe editions started coming out. Seventh Star's second disc featured a full Hammersmith Gillen concert. Then Idol got a deluxe and disc two was the complete Ray Gillen album (minus the one instrumental track) in really good quality.

Those Sabbath deluxe editions are really weird by the way. They cover the first three Ozzy albums, all three Dio albums, Born Again with Ian Gillan, and then Star and Idol. Also Past Lives completely the same as the original release and Live Evil restored to the original two disc version instead of the slightly shortened one disc that cut most of the stage banter. I get why Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes, Cross Purposes Live and Forbidden were skipped, different label*. But why the other five original lineup albums didn't get the deluxe treatment when you know damn well they'd have outsold those last three studio ones, is beyond me.

*Tony is currently remixing Forbidden and this will hopefully mean the out of print Martin era will finally be reissued.

I forgot to mention Sketches for My Sweetheart, the Drunk by Jeff Buckley. I think it classifies as an unfinished album, since he was still working on it when he died. Hell, his mother added the Sketches for part since it’s just an outline of the vision Jeff had for the album.

I was going to bring up the shelved Deftones album, Eros. 

I seriously doubt the material Soundgarden was working on for the follow up to King Animal will ever be released.

There is also Korn's cover album, Korn Kovers, which was originally set to be released in April 2005.

There was talk of an instrumental ALL record around the early 2000's. It was supposed to be ALL meets Mahavishnu Orchestra with a Miles Davis' Second Great Quintet influence on the songwriting. I was REALLY REALLY stoked for it, but for a lot of reasons, it never came together. Supposedly, some stuff was tracked, but it'll likely never see the light of day. 

Fugazi's sessions with Steve Albini for the In On the Killtaker were a minor legend for a while, but that's easily available despite never being officially released. It's cool to hear, but I can see why they shelved it. Albini's approach doesn't really work for Fugazi and the songs weren't fully formed yet. 

Haha! It's not completely out of the realm for them, though. If you've ever heard their song "Birds," that was probably going to be the gist of it, just with a lot more improvisation and soloing. Bill Stevenson has also done a few interviews talking about being really into the era of jazz from Miles' Four and More through Mahavishnu's Birds of Fire. 

It's widely available but U2 by Negativeland comes to mind. I remember buying a bootleg cassette tape of it in the 90's and it's hysterical with the insane Casey Cassum outtakes. They got sued by Island Records, owners of the letter U and the numeral 2. Same tape had a never released Das Dammen song "Tragical History Tour" which was essentially a cover of "Magical Mystery Tour" with the first two words changed. They were sued by Michael Jackson, owner of The Beatles.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Das Damen's Magical Mystery Tour cover was called "Song For Michael Jackson to $ell"

Tragical History Tour was part of The Ruttles All You Need Is Cash

Correct, been about 20+ years since I bought it and had forgot the exact title.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was going to bring up the shelved Deftones album, Eros. 

There is a rumor going on that Deftones will perform songs they haven't played since Chi passed away at the Dia De Los Deftones show this weekend in San Diego at Petco In The Park.

Chino is a pretty emotional guy, so I'll believe that when I hear it.  The band hasn't played Battle Axe since Chi passed away and they rarely play Elite , Bloody Cape, Teething, When Girls Telephone Boys, or any of the songs where Chi really threw down.  

They only play the older Greatest Hits tracks like Change, Hole In The Earth, and My Own Summer because they're expected to play them.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:31 AM, J.T. said:

There is a rumor going on that Deftones will perform songs they haven't played since Chi passed away at the Dia De Los Deftones show this weekend in San Diego at Petco In The Park.

Chino is a pretty emotional guy, so I'll believe that when I hear it.  The band hasn't played Battle Axe since Chi passed away and they rarely play Elite , Bloody Cape, Teething, When Girls Telephone Boys, or any of the songs where Chi really threw down.  

They only play the older Greatest Hits tracks like Change, Hole In The Earth, and My Own Summer because they're expected to play them.

I'm glad I've seen the Deftones three times while Chi was alive. My favorite Deftones albums will always be Adrenaline and Around the Fur.

I saw them once in 99, and it was honestly terrible. I wish it hadn't been, cause I've always liked them, but it was just a bad performance. You could feel the energy just draining out of the crowd (to the point Rob Zombie was lecturing the crowd about not living up to being Detroit when he came on stage next)

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 1:45 AM, Brian Fowler said:

There's also the 00's Black Sabbath studio album that they started work on, and Ozzy's label forced him to stop until he delivered a solo album, and then they never got back to. AFAIK, 13 was done from scratch with nothing from those sessions.

I want to hear that stuff so bad. I was hoping 13 would at least include a studio version of Scary Dreams (I've been wearing out that bootleg for like 18 years now). In the end, I did love 13 though. Not as much as The Devil You Know but with Iommi being ill and the Bill Ward drama and Ozzy being Ozzy, I thought it was a good note to go out on. 

If anything, at least I got to see Ozzy live with Zakk in 2001 in sort of a butterfly effect kind of way because of this since it was during the recording of Down to Earth that he parted ways w Joe Holmes. 

Really wanna catch them on this No More Tours 2 but tickets are insanely expensive and both mine and my girlfriend's cars just died so I'm just giving Uber all my money right now