DVDVR Message Board

Crown Jewel - 11/2/18 from null, null

John from Cincinnati

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Y'know, I take a very dim view of people being chopped to bits by insane barbarians from jerkwater countries. That said, the idea of VKM leaving a KSA consulate in several briefcases is strangely comforting. 

I picture Vince and co. getting whacked looking something like this.

NSFW, or for any of board members that might have their youngins near by

Spoiler

• Like 5

On one hand, it's pretty terrible they're going to go ahead with the show because of the rise in tensions. On the other hand, running the show pisses off people like Bix, who decided to muse whether PROGRESS and Evolve should be judged for their WWE relationship and all the dudes on Twitter trolling Snickers and Fox with "I wonder if you guys are okay with this" tags. 

So, pretty ambivalent overall.*

*if you haven't watched the PBS Frontline on Iran and Saudi Arabia and their decades old proxy-war, I highly recommend it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

On one hand, it's pretty terrible they're going to go ahead with the show because of the rise in tensions. On the other hand, running the show pisses off people like Bix, who decided to muse whether PROGRESS and Evolve should be judged for their WWE relationship and all the dudes on Twitter trolling Snickers and Fox with "I wonder if you guys are okay with this" tags. 

So, pretty ambivalent over all.*

*if you haven't watched the PBS Frontline on Iran and Saudi Arabia and their decades old proxy-war, I highly recommend it. 

Positive is companies are learning how worthless Twitter is and why its users should be ignored. 

• Like 1

Well I’ve already been wrong at least twice in this thread because of how fast things move nowadays, but now that the freaking president is in full on defense of Saudi Arabia I’d say this show is definitely happening as planned. Perhaps wwe will quietly try to back out of the deal before the next show though. Even if it’s just a few days of bad negative publicity, I can’t see how’d they’d want to go through with it every 6 months for the next decade (of course $$$$ would be the answer). 

10 hours ago, matt925 said:

Well I’ve already been wrong at least twice in this thread because of how fast things move nowadays, but now that the freaking president is in full on defense of Saudi Arabia I’d say this show is definitely happening as planned. Perhaps wwe will quietly try to back out of the deal before the next show though. Even if it’s just a few days of bad negative publicity, I can’t see how’d they’d want to go through with it every 6 months for the next decade (of course $$$$ would be the answer). 

Oh, I disagree. In fact, I think it’s very likely that a lot of the companies  that pulled out over this end up quietly going back in when this dies down in six months. It tends to be the nature of how the world works.

Sad to say, but no one has any illusions what Saudi Arabia is. The issue isn’t what they did; it’s that they got caught doing it.  They’re already in the process of scapegoating officials and everyone will be back parroting the ‘regime of change’ line again and the Saudis will go about disappearing their dissidents in less obvious ways.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hagan said:

They’re already in the process of scapegoating officials and everyone will be back parroting the ‘regime of change’ line again and the Saudis will go about disappearing their dissidents in less obvious ways.

They need to stick to the classics. Need to dispose of tiny pieces of something without tipping you hand? Maybe hide your crimes behind a Rita Hayworth poster.

• Haha 1

The newest spin that is being spewed by JBL and now Randy Orton (almost word for word by everyone) is that we need to be there to slowly bring change to the country.    I guarantee you that if change ever does occur in Saudi Arabia in the next 5 - 30 years  Vince will take a small bit of credit for it.    It is like the WWE wants to be for Saudi Arabia what David Hasselhoff is to Germany 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

The newest spin that is being spewed by JBL and now Randy Orton (almost word for word by everyone) is that we need to be there to slowly bring change to the country.    I guarantee you that if change ever does occur in Saudi Arabia in the next 5 - 30 years  Vince will take a small bit of credit for it.    It is like the WWE wants to be for Saudi Arabia what David Hasselhoff is to Germany 

Bruce Springsteen would be a more appropriate comparison of what they might want to claim:

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Effect change by not bringing the women.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

The newest spin that is being spewed by JBL and now Randy Orton (almost word for word by everyone) is that we need to be there to slowly bring change to the country. 

Unless WWE does a big pro-freedom-of-the-press angle on this show, I don't see this line getting anyone back on WWE's side here. I want to laugh at this being the best their PR team could come up with, but I guess they can't fall back on "we need to entertain the children and hardworking families" when the entire floor section across from the hard camera is a garish set-up for the entire royal family.

Well here is close to rock bottom.  Fox Business has pulled out of their Future business Initiative conference scheduled in Saudi Arabia.  Yes on the day the business version of Fox News of all people pulls out the WWE is selling tickets today for the show.    

On a related note, Herr Trump last night talked up that Montana* Congressman who beat up a Guardian reporter who dared ask him questions at an inopportune time about health care policy. This was just a week or so after his Saudi owners chopped up a critic.

Linda McMahon works for Trump. The WWE isn’t jumping ship until Trump gives his approval. 

(I use * because the dude is a rich kid from the landed gentry suburbs of Philadelphia who got even wealthier and moved out west to play cowboy.)