DVDVR Message Board

Crown Jewel - 11/2/18 from null, null

John from Cincinnati

I think you have a bit of nerve justifying snarkiness for the 'futurecrime' of accusing people of 'virtue signalling' when you have very tediously, & incorrectly, accused me of whataboutery. 

It does not apply to the comparison and analysis of two similar issues in terms such as why some are given more social prominence than others - https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Whataboutism

China is obviously really nice to journalists lol.

I'm not saying that people are being hypocrities as such, & I accept it's natural to be influenced by high-profile things such as this. I am just suggesting that under a more considered analysis the distinctions between their dealings in Saudi Arabia and their dealings in China largely fall away.

• Like 1

Thread closed for an hour. 

And here's everyone's reminder.  Stay on scope.  

I think the mods are being extra generous with hand-waving away the No Politics rule in this thread because of the subject matter and how wrapped up it is.  

Also, EVERYONE KNOWS YOU HATE THE KSA.   Everyone's said Fuck Saudi Arabia.  We get it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

If Roman Reigns comes out tonight and says he's a proud American who refuses to wrestle in Saudi Arabia, does that make him the biggest babyface in the company? 

Vince playing 4-D chess right now.

Actually if it was Roman the crowd would probably face-turn the Saudis. Which in a way would make Vince the first 5D chess champion.

7 hours ago, Brysynner said:

They should have a YouTube video up on Wednesday with Corbin and Paige announcing the rest of the World Cup roster. Also of note is Rey Rey vs. Mr. Nakamerica on Tuesday (in DC). I'm quite interested in seeing how DC reacts to Crown Jewel promos.

They've announced Rollins/McIntyre and Ambrose/Ziggler tonight for World Cup Qualifiers so I'd guess they will add one more tomorrow for the final spot along with Rey/Nakamura.

19 hours ago, Black Angel said:

I wouldn't want to go either. I'll be damned if some cat do a drive-by on me riding a camel. Fuck Saudi Arabia. And fuck that dude(pause) Lawrence while we're at it.

Need to clarify. The Lawrence I'm referring to is Lawrence of Arabia. Mainly due to what happened in my Eng 4 class back in 12th grade(which I'm 98% over). But if any here is named Lawrence l offended or just offended in general, I'm sorry.

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

With the Fox deal, does WWE really need the Saudi money?

The Fox deal is a ton of money, but it's "only" 3.9 million dollars per show. This deal is somewhere between $20 and $50 million per show. On the low end, they are getting nearly 20% as much money for two shows as for the whole year from Fox. High-end it's just shy of 50%.

So, while, yeah, $205 million a year is way more money, it'd be hard to argue that the KSA blood money isn't pretty fucking significant.

I mean, clearly, they should never gave taken the deal, but corporate interests/unfettered capitalism, continuous growth, blah blah blah.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

"I want to set the record straight. I thought the cop I accidentally dismembered with a bone saw and then snuck out of the embassy in tiny boxes was a prostitute."

aE66pyg.png

From one of the more right leaning sites, the Washington Examiner

Saudis claim 'rogue killers' got Jamal Khashoggi; they might as well say a dog ate him

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/saudis-claim-rogue-killers-got-jamal-khashoggi-they-might-as-well-say-a-dog-ate-him

Welcome to the world we live in.  Fear mongering rules.

In reality, we process lower amounts of Saudi crude oil than you expect because it is too sour for most of our refineries.  Our refineries are made to process crude from Texas, Canada, and Mexico where the crude oil is sweet.  Saudi and most MIddle Eastern crude requires extra handling to convert into gasoline and other products.

Sour crude gets a lower price on the world market because it requires extra handling.  The WTI (West Texas Intermediate) price is for sweet crude oil.

The words sweet and sour are oil terminology.  Sweet crude is easy to process and pours close to water.  Sour crude is thick and pours like molasses.  The reason why the Canadian pipeline was so important is that Canadian crude is easy to process and our refineries are setup to handle this type of crude oil.  

Here is an od article:

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444802/where-does-america-get-oil-you-may-be-surprised

gr-oilprod-300.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Black Angel said:

Need to clarify. The Lawrence I'm referring to is Lawrence of Arabia. Mainly due to what happened in my Eng 4 class back in 12th grade(which I'm 98% over). But if any here is named Lawrence l offended or just offended in general, I'm sorry.

Did anyone really not know you were referring to Lawrence of Arabia?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I'd rather go back to complaining about the weekly guest hosts then have to keep talking about this. This whole story is just leaving a real bad taste in my mouth, especially when wrestling already has a scummy history. 

and it's going to keep getting scummier

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Did anyone really not know you were referring to Lawrence of Arabia?

When I made that joke at lunch mostly everyone got it except that one guy who works the mailroom who responded with, "This is why society is so divided with racism like that." Which prompted, "You've never read Lawrence of Arabia?" Which in turn got this dry answer "I don't read books." Which got a low groan over the break room.

40 minutes ago, Black Angel said:

When I made that joke at lunch mostly everyone got it except that one guy who works the mailroom who responded with, "This is why society is so divided with racism like that." Which prompted, "You've never read Lawrence of Arabia?" Which in turn got this dry answer "I don't read books." Which got a low groan over the break room.

I don't know the guy in your mailroom, yet I hate him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Found it interesting that in every instance of them promoting the Crown Jewel PPV tonight on RAW, they never once mentioned Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia is getting the Chris Benoit treatment. They're not mentioning it again.

• Like 3