DVDVR Message Board

Crown Jewel - 11/2/18 from null, null

John from Cincinnati

They are pot committed.  I would safely say that all of the equipment has been moved over already and is in the process of being setup.  The cynic in me says they just pay a few extra millions to some PR firms to mitigate any damage.  Suppress stories in the media and online.  Damage control stuff because this is the way the world works.

Most of all, keep Linda's name out of the press and as far away from this as possible.

Some of you guys are forgetting something very important, this was a journalist who was murdered. Whether they write for print media, are on radio or TV, this was one of their own, (journalists, in case anyone isn't following me), this isn't going away, not by a long fucking shot. The fact that he was a long-time US resident and WaPo columnist is secondary (though it will be seen to be so important that the Orange Shit-gibbon can't ignore it), the main thing is he was a JOURNALIST and his brothers and sisters in the press of dozens of countries are not going to let go of this. Oh, and lest I forget...

Fuck Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Short of the GOP itself, WWE is probably the most virulently pro-Trump entity in America right now. As long as the adminstration's line is "yeah, but look at all this money" you can bet WWE will follow suit. The only thing Vince and Donald hate more than losing money is admitting they did something wrong, and Vince is actually the more insulated of the two.

I dunno about that. WWE has went to a lot of trouble not to mention Dear Leader on TV or online. They support him, but they are not public about it. 

For a company that star fucks like WWE, not mentioning the president is in their HOF is very telling. 

8 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Does anyone remember when the biggest international crime I was abetting by watching WWE was them not pushing Bad News Barrett?

Ah, the good old days... Oh, btw:

Fuck Saudi Arabia!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rick said:

It's funny, the Saudi regime has made efforts to appear moderately progressive in recent times despite it's obvious nepotistic dictatorship that has arbitrary law dressed up as Sharia, the Sauds and the McMahons are a match made in heaven. 

More like the match made in hell. I hope Jake and the Undertaker have a cobra in a box for the Saudi royal family.

In case anyone didn't get the memo, fuck Saudi Arabia.

• Like 4

WWE should just stay the fuck out of the middle east. The Australia show was a nice change of pace. We have the Wembley fucking stadium that would sell 100 thousand paid which would be cheaper to run given it's recent sale. Isn't India still in their world expansion plans? China? 

500 million is a lot of cash, I get it, but fuck. 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2018 at 4:22 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Well, I have to confess: a lot more is happening than I expected last night/this morning, nationally.

Well when Trump pretty much dismissed the journalist as not being born here I thought that was the end of it but Congress has stepped up (which was also unexpected).

1) Fuck Saudi Arabia. 

2) I think the US and US media and US politicians has long overestimated Saudi Arabia's real impact on the world. I used to write about the energy industry professionally. Our "dependence on foreign oil" was always not nearly what it seemed. Saudi Arabia was usually our second biggest oil partner trailing Canada. Often times, Mexico would sometimes surpass Saudi Arabia in terms of how much oil was sent over here. And we have always produced a lot of oil on our own, too. Saudi Arabia has the ability to dictate OPEC's price point by how much supply it can issue, but even that's sort of a joke considering members of OPEC don't ever really adhere to OPEC's rules. 

The Saudi's influence in the world has just shrunk the past few years because of the huge shale oil boom in the United States. No one 10-15 years ago would have ever thought the US would become an oil exporter. We are now. The more our oil companies produce oil onshore, the more Saudi Arabia becomes even more of a backwards backwater. And oil is also becoming less important by the day as we move away from it as an energy/transportation fuel source. 

MBS, their current ruler, is a wannabe reformer who says the right things and has issued edicts that allow for such great human rights advances as "letting women drive" and "letting people watch movies." There is a restless Saudi population faced with all sorts of demographic and economic issues. There's a good chance that the KSA faces a major uprising at some point in time. It's a messy situation and not one good for the world. 

3) I was a journalist until the day before Trump's election, which is when I moved into public relations. I still more think of myself as a "journalist who works in public relations" than anything else. We are a tight-knit tribe. I worked for mostly shitty community newspapers before I ended up in wonky niche financial journalism. But along the way I worked with and met a lot of people who have actually had success in more mainstream publications. I worked for a wing of ThomsonReuters for a few years. Right now, a few TR journalists are being held in a jail cell in Myanmar, which is governed by someone who won the Noble Peace Prize a few years ago. I had dinner once with a reporter at the Philly Inquirer who was really good friends with Daniel Pearl. If you spend more than two years in a newsroom, chances are you are six degrees away from someone well-known.

This is to say that it's really fucking laughable to me that our government is so concerned about what happened to this one journalist. Obviously, we have a current president who does everything short of ordering his supporters/followers/cretins to physically attack CNN personalities at his death marches. There is a shirt spotted at these events that says "Tree. Rope. Journalist." A Montana congressional candidate beat the crap out of a Guardian reporter and was elected after wards. It's not like the last moderate Democrat we had in office was friendly to the press -- see Obama and the Espionage Act. 

This is all a long version of saying that the administration gives zero shits about any of this. They're being asked questions about it right now. They'll say the right things and use it to say "see, we stick up for the press!" in the coming weeks before the election season right before they turn right back into damning the entire industry and openly discussing whether or not the press in this country should be licensed. 

4) All of this is to say that the WWE is going to have this event. This is going to cease to be a big story by Tuesday. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Greg: I don't think that you could be more wrong. This isn't going away by this coming Tuesday. the following Tuesday or Tuesday a month from now. Congress and the Senate have a hold of it now as does the world press. I respect your qualifications and opinion, but you are dead wrong. This is a fucking snowball rolling downhill and it will end very badly for the Saudi regime. 

BTW: Fuck Saudi Arabia.

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Greg: I don't think that you could be more wrong. This isn't going away by this coming Tuesday. the following Tuesday or Tuesday a month from now. Congress and the Senate have a hold of it now as does the world press. I respect your qualifications and opinion, but you are dead wrong. This is a fucking snowball rolling downhill and it will end very badly for the Saudi regime. 

BTW: Fuck Saudi Arabia.

The NYT just ran a piece two weeks ago about how the president and his family committed nine figures worth of tax fraud and it got gobbled up by Kavanaugh.

We are one school shooting away from us forgetting this ever happened. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Let's revisit this in a week and see who's correct. I would agree with you EXCEPT for the legs that this story has internationally, the international press is not going to let go of this, nor is the US media.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Crown Jewel removed from wwe.com calendar:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/crown-jewel-removed-wwecom-calendar-267876

Didn't expect WWE to budge, stubborn fucks. 

Fuck Saudi Arabia.

No,  nobody expected this..   If they truly are canceling this show or at least moving it to a different location then you have to give them a little credit,  I'm shocked. 

• Like 1