DVDVR Message Board

Crown Jewel - 11/2/18 from null, null

John from Cincinnati

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Our friends north of the border could explain better than me but have I already seen folks musing that all the Canadian wrestlers might have issues being allowed to work the show since the relationship between Canada and the Saudis has gone to shit.

Not sure if it'll affect this show, but I'll offer a quick recap:

• Canada's foreign minister issued statements last month denouncing the imprisonment of female activists 
  • KSA fired back, ordering Canada's ambassador to leave the country, imposed sanctions, restricting commercial air travel to Canada, and ordered Saudi students in Canada to return home
  • Things got weird when a Saudi youth group known for posting pro-government Tweets dropped this since-deleted image (draw your own conclusions):infographic-ksa.jpg 
  • Things have cooled slightly since then. My understanding is some Saudi med students are being allowed to remain in Canada.

Only posting since it was brought up and airing grievances about the KSA seems to be a big part of these threads. 

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

• Things got weird when a Saudi youth group known for posting pro-government Tweets dropped this since-deleted image (draw your own conclusions):infographic-ksa.jpg 

Well, there's certainly nothing subtle about that. I hope the group that tweeted that is tracked and arrested for terroristic threats.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Well, there's certainly nothing subtle about that. I hope the group that tweeted that is tracked and arrested for terroristic threats.

The most recent government response I could find is from last month's articles on the matter:

Upon deleting the photo, Infographic_KSA released a statement insisting the plane was meant to represent the return of our ambassador. My eyes rolled back further than Taker's. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's not like it'd be a particularly hard corporate speech from Hunter.

"So in order for the company to make X amount of money, which impacts our bottom line and everyone who works here, we need to do Y. We don't like it. It's not about you as a talent. It's a cultural thing. Different cultures feel differently about things and we have to respect that. We think you're doing great, but you'll have to sit this one out. Go get ready for the next one. Again, you're doing great." 

If your boss tells you that. what do you say? Maybe that it's hypocritical or that it sucks. And your boss will nod his head and agree, but just chalk it off to business and that'll be the end of it. At least he praised the hell out of you in the process, right? 

I'm fairly certain neither of them would lose any sleep in the process. 

Maybe it sucks that we're in a world where that's the case, but there you go.

The problem with that logic is would the same opinion be had if it was financially prudent for them to avoid using black wrestlers in certain areas? If they had an openly gay male wrestler, would they leave him off this show for the same reasons?

If anything, all these Saudi shows are doing is making it quite clear the women’s “revolution” and related marketing with Rousey etc are just a cynical attempt to cash in on equality branding and nothing else.

• Like 4

On 9/17/2018 at 9:56 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's rather fucked up that shows scheduled in two progressive countries, Sweden and Norway are rescheduled for 2019 for another show in a country considered one of the worst of the worst in terms of human rights.

WWE runs regularly in a place that's on Amnesty International's top 10 human rights violators. Y'know, America. China, the EU and Australia is on that list too.

I get your point. Expecting a corporation to put ethical values over a profit margin is just a fool's errand, though.

1 hour ago, Thunder Down Under said:

The problem with that logic is would the same opinion be had if it was financially prudent for them to avoid using black wrestlers in certain areas? If they had an openly gay male wrestler, would they leave him off this show for the same reasons?

If anything, all these Saudi shows are doing is making it quite clear the women’s “revolution” and related marketing with Rousey etc are just a cynical attempt to cash in on equality branding and nothing else.

Of course they would, but we knew that and so does everyone working there. Look at the Hogan thing and how that was handled. Most massive, publicly traded companies are going to make similar profit calculations if they can get away with them though.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:52 PM, hammerva said:

Do you think Renee Young didn't even question why she wasn't going to be commentary for this show and just knew?  save herself the trouble of the WWE trying to explain why Coachman or Saxton has to replace her for a major show.  I mean if they get all pissy about woman on pictures promoting a wrestling show imagine how the horror of one actually talking ?

I'm pretty positive they asked for "The announced with the Cowboy hat and the announcer with the crowd" anyway... 

2 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The only thing I'm interested about is whether or not there's going to be a random sumo wrestler that shows up again.

That's obviously what this meeting was about. WWE wants Fallah Bahh to fill its sumo quota.

Impact Wrestling officials Ed Nordholm and Scott D'Amore met with several high ranking WWE executives last week at WWE HQ in Stamford, CT, PWInsider.com has confirmed with several WWE sources. Vince McMahon was not involved in the meeting we are told, but members of Triple H's team were in attendance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/19/2018 at 8:15 PM, Matt D said:

Of course they would, but we knew that and so does everyone working there. Look at the Hogan thing and how that was handled. Most massive, publicly traded companies are going to make similar profit calculations if they can get away with them though.

Most massively traded public companies do not broadcast their core product live and direct from there, whilst at the same time professing to be such an inclusive and progressive company. By continuing to put themselves in situations where this can be an issue, they risk losing their new found credibility in the wider media world.

Sami Zyan’s injury really bailed them out of what could’ve been an extremely uncomfortable situation 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thunder Down Under said:

Most massively traded public companies do not broadcast their core product live and direct from there, whilst at the same time professing to be such an inclusive and progressive company. By continuing to put themselves in situations where this can be an issue, they risk losing their new found credibility in the wider media world.

Sami Zyan’s injury really bailed them out of what could’ve been an extremely uncomfortable situation 

He wasn't injured during GRR. He was just held off the show and WWE released a statement about respecting local culture and that was it. 

3 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think he means this time around.

And I countered by wondering why this time is any more awkward than the last when they got away with it without the tiniest hitch and made a mega bazillion dollars on TV deals between then and now despite whatever?

Past crowd reactions they didn't want, the only "setback" they had all year was the Moolah thing. That and Vince looking like a doofus for selling stock too early.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm sure this has been posited before but it's highly likely the entire female staff gets a bonus check in the mail whenever they pull this shit. Might as well hedge their bets and keep people happy, you know. 

Actually they only got that check after people complained about the fact that they weren't going to get it. And as many have said this time around WWE will point to Elevation has the counter to the paycheck.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm sure this has been posited before but it's highly likely the entire female staff gets a bonus check in the mail whenever they pull this shit. Might as well hedge their bets and keep people happy, you know. 

Does that mean the rest of the roster can expect bonus check for not appearing at Evolution? #equalrights

• Like 1

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Does that mean the rest of the roster can expect bonus check for not appearing at Evolution? #equalrights

I would hope this year it's Canadian men that get a bonus if they can't go to the show.  But even with Evolution I'd still give the women a bonus.  Of course it'd be best to not do the Riyadh show and cancel the stupid deal but that's asking for too much.

Yeah, I'm going to try and not post in here after this.  Every post will in some way have me bitching about this 10-year deal so no sense going overboard with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...