DVDVR Message Board

CMLL 85th Anniversario Show

goodhelmet

I am in MexicoCity right now, super amped after the show. I love this city. The atmosphere was the wildest I had ever experienced. It was so fucking surreal.  I have no idea how it came across on TV but this is how the matches came across live... 

La Jarochita, Marcela and Princesa Sujey vs. Dalys la Caribeña, La Maligna and Reyna Isis
Six-woman "Lucha Libre rules" tag team match

Super fun opener!!! The first 2 falls were supwr crisp amd everything looked great live. 3rd fsll was a bit spotty but still fun. Crowd is a real rudo crowd... cheering for the rudas!!!

2Ángel de Oro, Audaz and Niebla Roja vs. La Peste Negra (Negro Casas, El Felino) and Mephisto

Six-man "Lucha Libre rules" tag team match

Negro Casas is so over.  Insanely over. Match fell off the rails after the 1st fall but it was so much fun listening to the crowdlose their shit for Casas.... and I joined them. 

3Atlantis, Místico and El Soberano vs. La Sangre Dinamita (El Cuatrero, Forastero and Sansón)

Atlantis is slow. This Rudo team is awesome. Segunda caida was amazing with non stop spots and dives . Atlantis fought over the rail right in front of us. After 2nd fall... insane new Jack level dive off top of stage. 3rd fall was awesome as well. 0ne little flub but they recovered.  INSANE atmosphere amd the rudos were great. Mistico is so hated by this crowd. Match of the night so far. 

4Los Guerreros Lagunero(Gran Guerrero, Euforia and Último Guerrero) vs. Klan Kaoz (Ciber the Main Man, The Chris and Sharlie Rockstar

Six-man "Lucha Libre rules" tag team match for the CMLL World Trios Championship

Crowd loved Ultimo. First technico they cheered. They don't like the CL4N. They are calling Cibernetico... Ciber-Puto and chanting "Culeros". I'll be honest. I wasn't watching the match. I was criwd watching.  Ultimo Guerrero was OVER and treated like a legend. 

5Carístico, El Hijo de L.A. Parkand L.A. Park vs. Diamante Azul and Los Lucha Bros(King Phoenix and Penta el 0M)

I was shocked at the tepid response to LA Parks entrance. My Mexican friend told me people are angry with him for not doing the Rush match.  First fall was fun but not blowaway great. The crowd brawling to start Segunda Caida was Awesome live. Those LA Park belt shots were the sickest sounds I have ever heard at a wrestling match.  2nd fall was going great but there was a botch setting up a HUGE dive outside.  Good fall with an anti climactic ending. Third fall was the fall of the night so far with false finishes, Parks dive, big moves, nasty crowd shots. The crowd is throwing money in the ring!!!! All six guys gave a bow as the crowd gave them a stsnding ovation and chanted ESTO ES LUCHA!!!

6Matt Taven and Volador Jr.vs Rush and Bárbaro Cavernario

Best two-out-of-three falls tag team Lucha de Apuestas, hair vs. hair match

Rush and Volador had amazing back to back entrances.  Matt Taven is a Kendall Windham circa 1986 looking mother fucker. Right away, Barbaro does a splash off the top of the stage.  So much action and chaos in the first fall.  
2nd fall, not as hot as the first. This had more posturing and shtick with a hot finish.  
3rd fall was one of the most intense feelings I have had as a wrestling fan. Every move and dive had the crowd on the edge of their seat. This was so amazing as a live experience. This was missing blood but it was pretty nuts. Have no idea how it came across on TV but it was the best live experience I have ever had at a wrestling show.  Now for the haircutting... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I thought the finish to the main event was a little lame, but I was so happy to see Cavernario have his moment. As goodhelmet said, just one of the best atmospheres to watch wrestling in (crowd seemed even hotter than last year, tho I dunno if that's just recency) and a very fun show overall.

Also want to echo that Mexico City is just an absolutely wonderful city and if you have any interest in tasty food or art (or tree-lined streets or mezcal or specialty coffee or etc) scheduling a vacation that just happens to coincide with a major lucha show is something I couldn't recommend more strongly.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 6:00 AM, Archibald said:

How the attendance looked? Many empty seats?

I attended this show and Hell In A Cell. 

For Hell in a Cell, the rafters were packed and there were tons of empty seats on the floor and bottom bowl. 

For Anniversario, there were no empty seats in the bottom area of the arena. Arena Mexico has a unique setup where there is only one entrance to the rafters. You will see the bowl fill up from one side to the other and in the end, there was only a section or two not filled up right next to the left side of the stage. A near sellout but not quite. 

On 9/15/2018 at 8:10 AM, Pete said:

A show report without any of the results or finishes is a new one. ?

I did this on purpose. I wanted to give match reactions and observations of the atmosphere without giving away any spoilers. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 2:32 PM, maciej said:

I thought the finish to the main event was a little lame, but I was so happy to see Cavernario have his moment. As goodhelmet said, just one of the best atmospheres to watch wrestling in (crowd seemed even hotter than last year, tho I dunno if that's just recency) and a very fun show overall.

Also want to echo that Mexico City is just an absolutely wonderful city and if you have any interest in tasty food or art (or tree-lined streets or mezcal or specialty coffee or etc) scheduling a vacation that just happens to coincide with a major lucha show is something I couldn't recommend more strongly.

I have been all over the US (and Toronto) and this is one of my favorite cities. It's not a question of IF I will go back but WHEN. Everything was affordable... the hotel, the plane tickets, the CMLL tickets, the bootlegs on the streets, the lucha masks. I would do this trip again over any Wrestlemania trip in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sp=nmt4&u=http://polvora.com.mx/2018/09/15/cmll-85-aniversario-resultados-y-analisis/&xid=17259,15700022,15700122,15700124,15700149,15700186,15700191,15700201,15700214&usg=ALkJrhgReEuaTajsUjnaUgQiTGR4uGKFPQ

My friend Ricardo did a show review. First, he discusses his thoughts on the matches. Then he discusses the reactions of his foreigner friends (me and my friend Hassan). Pretty great read through Google Translate!

https://audioboom.com/posts/7009760-wrestlenomics-radio-cmll-anniversary-talk-with-live-report-from-will-from-texas-goodhelmet

Here is a link to a podcast reaction show I did with mookieghana on his Wrestlenomics podcast. 

I only caught the main but I did without being spoiled:

I liked the first two falls a lot. Cavernario title/apuesta matches tend to have extra wrinkles in them in the first couple of falls instead of the minimalism you often get and I was taken in by the reverse in the primera. The segunda had the rudo beatdown/antics and the comeback and 90% of the time I prefer those two elements to all out back and forth action. The tercera lost me at first because it was a bit too much of that back and forth action with nothing having any meaningful impct. Plus I can't take Taven's goofy extra-rotation offense seriously. Eventually though, it settled down to the rudos gaining control, and they got me back into it. In fact, when it seemed like was down to one-on-one at the end I was totally up to a bunch of cumulative-selling based near-falls and all of Volador's stupid destroyer-out-of-the-corner bullshit. Therefore, the finish was disappointing. If the story was that it was driven by miscommunication, they didn't get that over well enough in the moment with body language or what have you. If it was anything else, then Taven's struggle throughout the match makes absolutely no sense. 

Anyway, it'll lead to more people paying more for more tickets later and revenge and what have you, which is the point of pro wrestling, but in the moment, I was disappointed.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:22 AM, goodhelmet said:

I have been all over the US (and Toronto) and this is one of my favorite cities. It's not a question of IF I will go back but WHEN. Everything was affordable... the hotel, the plane tickets, the CMLL tickets, the bootlegs on the streets, the lucha masks. I would do this trip again over any Wrestlemania trip in a heartbeat. 

You sound just like me after my first trip... haha I was slightly nervous since you hear all the bad things about Mexico but everything went smoothly and in all my trips since I've never felt in danger. A lovely city where you dollar goes a long way. And as you also pointed out... nothing like Arena Mexico. Just an amazing atmosphere when the building fills up. Crowd is there to have a good time + see their favorites win or the guys they hate lose... not chant dumb shit or interpret body language to break down the psychology of a match.

Toronto is cool too. ;)

• Like 1

I might should add, as this is turning into the Let's All Go To Mexico City thread, that this year I went to the Sunday show as well because I was still there and I figured why not, and while it was a completely different vibe, the arena was like a third full, and the matches weren't as big, it was still very, very fun. We actually got a match with Soberano, Niebla Roja, & Angel de Oro vs. Cuatrero, Forastero, and Mascara Año 2000 that would have stood out on a Friday and like $20 gets you a ticket close enough to the action that if Soberano gets rudely tossed over the barriers you might get to hang out next to him for a second:

Spoiler

PKEkYui.jpg

• Like 5