DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

Holiday weekend, probably a bunch of people aren't around.   

Aquaman was a fuckton of fun.    About as perfect a representation of Arthur's story as there has been.  Patrick Wilson was terrific as Orm/Ocean Master.  And Black Manta was wonderful. 

As soon as the credits ran, my thought was (and I mean this in the best way possible), "That movie sure was directed by a Fast & Furious director."

• Like 3

AQUAMAN was certainly visually exciting, and it boggles the mind that they went HAM on the nerdy stuff for Aquaman of all things, but I was somewhat disappointed.

It felt like they were striving to do a Marvel movie, but then Marvel put out Spider-Verse the week before, changing the dynamic completely.

Sony put out Spider-Verse, not Marvel. 

And remember, Sony was absolutely trying to do something different with their last two movies (Venom, S-V) because frankly, they were on the verge of having to sell back the Spider IP to Marvel for pennies on the dollar.  And now that they have two legit hits, they are in a much better position. 

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sony put out Spider-Verse, not Marvel. 

Marvel Entertainment should get an "in association with" production credit along with Sony and Columbia Pictures, but Disney / Marvel Studios should not.

10 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Oh nerds

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

I'm She-Hulk wearing a Captain America costume.  Combining my two favorite characters.

KbG_w1ck_400x400.jpg

Pot kettle black, geek.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

People criticise Marvel movies for being formulaic (which some of them are), but DC's biggest successes have come from aping said formula. But it's about how you operate within it, and staying with conventions so that it's shocking when they're broken. In terms of plot and pacing, Black Panther would fit right in with Phase One, but in terms of what it has to say about the World, you can see why they wanted to build some mainstream brand loyalty before saying something certain people might reject. Although why anyone would go out of their way to avoid offending bigots (who delight in causing offence) I don't know. 

Wonder Woman is kind of the same deal. It's a formulaic Superhero origin story that did great business because a) Women and little Girls finally had a lead character to identify with, b) DC fans finally had a good movie that got it's main character right, and c) Gal Gadot seems nice. 

• Like 1

I think WONDER WOMAN shares a lot more DNA with Nolan's Batman films than Marvel films.  And AQUAMAN has largely succeeded in charming audiences by embracing the high fantasy aspects of its story in a manner that goes way beyond what Marvel has traditionally been willing to do with its films (same could be said for WW).  Marvel seems to always want to maintain this veneer of "plausibility" so as not to frighten off the squares.  Aquaman is just like, "Here's a bunch of wild shit with no rational explanation, deal with it."   In one film, they created a more expansive fantasy world than the THOR series managed in three.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think WONDER WOMAN shares a lot more DNA with Nolan's Batman films than Marvel films.  And AQUAMAN has largely succeeded in charming audiences by embracing the high fantasy aspects of its story in a manner that goes way beyond what Marvel has traditionally been willing to do with its films (same could be said for WW).  Marvel seems to always want to maintain this veneer of "plausibility" so as not to frighten off the squares.  Aquaman is just like, "Here's a bunch of wild shit with no rational explanation, deal with it."   In one film, they created a more expansive fantasy world than the THOR series managed in three.

Movie with talking raccoon and tree says otherwise 

22 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Movie with talking raccoon and tree says otherwise 

GOTG is probably the one series of Marvel's that comes close to what DC has done with WW and Aquaman, but even said talking raccoon and tree are filtered through the lens of sci-fi.  They're aliens, and therefore "plausible."  (Just as the Asgardians were rendered aliens instead of gods to make them "plausible.")

It is completely implausible that there are 7 kingdoms of fish people residing here on Earth with us, or that the Greek gods are, in fact, real, godly beings that exist among us.  DC doesn't sweat it.

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

GOTG is probably the one series of Marvel's that comes close to what DC has done with WW and Aquaman, but even said talking raccoon and tree are filtered through the lens of sci-fi.  They're aliens, and therefore "plausible."  (Just as the Asgardians were rendered aliens instead of gods to make them "plausible.")

It is completely implausible that there are 7 kingdoms of fish people residing here on Earth with us, or that the Greek gods are, in fact, real, godly beings that exist among us.  DC doesn't sweat it.

Except Marvel did all that first...

Plus a whole society of hidden wizards who can bend reality.

This was nothing like a Marvel movie to me and it's breaking out globally because Wan is a genius.  It felt more like an old school action/adventure romp from sea to sea touching down in all corners of the globe like Indy or National Treasure.  The world building was immense.  

I've never seen action sequences like this.   What Wan did with the underwater scenes was amazing and that TRENCH scene wow..   he went in his horror bag on that one.  

Then there was the tracking shots with the Aquaman,  Mera and Black Manta in Italy.  

Third act was ridiculous in a good way.  

Yeah,  this didn't feel like any comic book movie before it.   I enjoyed Momoa/Heard,  script could have been better but they had charisma. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They're about to be blown away by man who talks to fish.  I love them all though. 

I doubt it. 

All DC is really doing at the end of the day is copying from the Marvel playbook anyway, except they didn't do it as well. Not to mention after royally screwing both Batman v Superman and Justice League. Those are unforgivable sins IMO. 

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I doubt it. 

All DC is really doing at the end of the day is copying from the Marvel playbook anyway, 

:lol:    Wan is a better director than anyone from the MCU minus maybe the Russos.  I don't doubt Aquaman.  We will see.  Again,  I don't know why it's a crime to like both.  I will defend DC more because people shit on it even when it's undeserved. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

:lol:    Wan is a better director than anyone from the MCU minus maybe the Russos.  I don't doubt Aquaman.  We will see.  Again,  I don't know why it's a crime to like both.  I will defend DC more because people shit on it even when it's undeserved. 

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion, but I think Ryan Coogler might want to have a word. 

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Except Marvel did all that first...

Plus a whole society of hidden wizards who can bend reality.

They didn’t do any of those things first.

I would also say the world building in DOCTOR STRANGE was rather meager.  It was very low fantasy.  They made the same mistake with that property that they made with the early THOR movies.  By not committing all the way, they made it all seem small.  Hopefully they’ll rectify that in the next one.