DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

Vice was 66% and was still nominated for a bunch of awards.

What happened was transparent. As you can see it has the "certified" tag which is because it was at 79% after 170 or so reviews. 

This is a certain group of U.S. critics that want to make a dumb political statement, instead of grouping together and trying to do something about gun violence and mental health and using their platform that way... 

They are telling us that you cannot make movies anymore with sensitive material.

In the U.K. and the rest of Europe the movie is close to 90%.. not too hard to see what happened.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

9 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

Aw, despite WW and Aquaman showing that DC movies can be well received and make tons of money, Niners is still hurt that no one likes the shallow Snyder movies.

Who said anything about Snyder in I don't know, years? That's something you are obsessing on. 

What was your point about box office, in relation to Joker? The movie has a confirmed budget of $64M. It will be fine I'm sure.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is a certain group of U.S. critics that want to make a dumb political statement, instead of grouping together and trying to do something about gun violence and mental health and using their platform that way... 

They are telling us that you cannot make movies anymore with sensitive material.

Or maybe they think the movie handles "sensitive material" in the laziest way possible and isn't up to the conversation it thinks it's having. I've seen a few reviews and articles suggesting just that.

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Or maybe they think the movie handles "sensitive material" in the laziest way possible and isn't up to the conversation it thinks it's having. I've seen a few reviews and articles suggesting just that.

They are in the minority, the average rating is still 7.5 which speaks to all the 5/5 and A ratings is has received on there. For every person who said that there are 2 giving it a high score. Calm down ?

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm plenty calm. I'm not the one here frantically dismissing criticism as political. Is that you, Todd? 

If you want to choose to be blind to the politics surrounding the film then that's cool, I didn't have it in me to go around in circles today lol.

I mean is this what you're referring to? 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/10/joaquin-phoenix-cover-story

“Go try to be funny nowadays with this woke culture,” he says. “There were articles written about why comedies don’t work anymore—I’ll tell you why, because all the fucking funny guys are like, ‘Fuck this shit, because I don’t want to offend you.’ It’s hard to argue with 30 million people on Twitter. You just can’t do it, right? So you just go, ‘I’m out.’ I’m out, and you know what? With all my comedies—I think that what comedies in general all have in common—is they’re irreverent. So I go, ‘How do I do something irreverent, but fuck comedy? Oh I know, let’s take the comic book movie universe and turn it on its head with this.’ And so that’s really where that came from.”

I mean, exaggeration maybe, but I've heard other comedians express similar sentiments, including Jerry Seinfeld. Seems like Phillips hit a nerve or two with those comments.

Edited by TheVileOne

Forgive me if I roll my eyes when dinosaurs and the creative force behind three Hangover movies want to lecture me about how hard it is to be funny. Those hacks can go cry into their millions. 

If the PC police were all that threatening, surely they’d have gotten Bill Burr or Dave Chappelle by now. Maybe Todd Phillips just isn’t as funny as he thinks he is. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Forgive me if I roll my eyes when dinosaurs and the creative force behind three Hangover movies want to lecture me about how hard it is to be funny. Those hacks can go cry into their millions. 

If the PC police were all that threatening, surely they’d have gotten Bill Burr or Dave Chappelle by now. Maybe Todd Phillips just isn’t as funny as he thinks he is. 

Personally, I think the last two Hangover films were trash. As a movie, Joker is actually better, and that's for a film without any jokes that's overwhelmingly bleak and depressing. 

It is funny though to see this anti-Hangover sentiment now. Wouldn't have imagined that in the films' heyday. 

It's incredibly disingenuous to dismiss all negative reviews as being based on politics, but accept all positive reviews as unbiased, apolitical reactions.

FWIW, it's top critics score is well into rotten. On the other hand, the three people who've seen it that I follow on letterboxd have given it between 4 and 5 stars.

I'm planning to see it this weekend, but I'm not overly optimistic or pessimistic. 

Edit: Metacritic is down to 58 as well. Which puts it below Vice, a movie that I saw multiple people call the worst best picture nominee ever, for whatever that might be worth.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most people likely remember the first Hangover movie fondly. Most people likely don't think about the sequels at all. I dont think there's anything complicated or revisionist about it.

Edited by _MJ_

Saw it last night.  I'd call it good but not great.  Phoenix gives a great performance but I'm not sure the script deserved it.  I'd argue you could come into the movie an hour late and not really miss anything.  It doesn't really get going until the last 45 minutes or so.  It helps if you are a King of Comedy fan too because there are definite nods to it (DeNiro notwithstanding.)

• Thanks 1