DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

220px-Batman_(1989)_theatrical_poster.jp

I watched Batman (1989) for the first time ever at the cinema last night as it was brought back to them to mark the film turning thirty years old. The moments I most looked forward to: the opening titles, Batman takes Vicki Vale to the Batcave/Descent into Mystery has always been my favourite scene from the movie, the Batwing using the moon as a Bat symbol and the end as Batman is stood on a building as the Bat-Signal is shone on the sky all set to Danny Elfman's perfect music delivered.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I'd say blame whoever cast him, and the directors who told him to play it that way would be more at fault. That's like blaming Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool's portrayal in X Men Origins: Wolverine.

He was miscast pretty badly though. Even his blue furry makeover, Beast is supposed to be a massively bulky, burly, shaved gorilla looking guy. The guy who his erudite, eloquent way of speaking seems unlikely, jarring and uncharacteristic. The exact opposite of the body type that Hoult has.

13 hours ago, AxB said:

I'd say blame whoever cast him, and the directors who told him to play it that way would be more at fault. That's like blaming Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool's portrayal in X Men Origins: Wolverine.

He was miscast pretty badly though. Even his blue furry makeover, Beast is supposed to be a massively bulky, burly, shaved gorilla looking guy. The guy who his erudite, eloquent way of speaking seems unlikely, jarring and uncharacteristic. The exact opposite of the body type that Hoult has.

He was awful in Tolkien as well. 

The only role I ever found him semi tolerable was Fury Road.

There was this TV show called Skins, he was really good in that. But watching it now, you'd be shocked how many big stars got their start there. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AxB said:

There was this TV show called Skins, he was really good in that. But watching it now, you'd be shocked how many big stars got their start there. 

I was trying think back to past Hoult performances. Thanks for the Skins reminder.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

Kelsey Grammar wasn’t exactly a good choice for Beast either, but people seemed to love that casting choice for whatever reason.

Because he sounded similar to Beast in the cartoon series.

I'm always amazed at the insane amount of people whose only exposure to X-Men was the cartoon. I just remember seeing more casting suggestions based on the cartoon than the comics.

Regarding the Batman, I'd rather have Pattinson than Hoult. 

What really concerns me more than anything else is the talk of there being there villains in the movie. 

• Like 1

Grammar was absolutely perfect because he brought that refined intellectual voice that he's used throughout his career to a big furry blue ape man. I legitimately can't imagine a better casting choice for the role.

• Like 4

Affleck looked nothing like Dick Sprang's Batman.

I wish they'd give Bats a rest for a while.  People complain about MCU fatigue, but there's been 49 (live/animated) Batman movies since 2002 and 6 TV series.  DC just started branching out relatively recently, and it has paid great dividends, so idk why they're beating such a dead horse again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Personally, I'm going to mourn the loss of Affleck.  You can argue that he was ill-served by the material, but his Batman is the closest we've ever gotten to the best versions from the comic.

I know he murdered people, but where was was the super armor suit, the blond hair, and most importantly The Sacred Order of Saint Dumas?

Actually kidding aside, an adaptation of that arc(minus the Bane storyline because we saw it already) would be fantastic. You’d have to establish this Batman first before you can get there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

Regarding the Batman, I'd rather have Pattinson than Hoult. 

What really concerns me more than anything else is the talk of there being there villains in the movie. 

There were technically three villains in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and those are generally well liked.

5 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

I wish they'd give Bats a rest for a while.

This.

6 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

I wish they'd give Bats a rest for a while. 

I want more Batman, but I want it to be shit like live action Batman Beyond or animated mini-series for major stories.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I know he murdered people, but where was was the super armor suit, the blond hair, and most importantly The Sacred Order of Saint Dumas?

Actually kidding aside, an adaptation of that arc(minus the Bane storyline because we saw it already) would be fantastic. You’d have to establish this Batman first before you can get there.

I'd love to see a series doing Sword of Azrael leading into Knightfall.

• Like 3

I think BVS, and Justice League did a number on our enthusiasm for Batman. But I don’t believe we’ve gotten enough Batman. He just needs a fresh take. Like I would love if the Mission Impossible dudes took a spin on Batman. Maybe do the Riddler right this time. Matt Reeves could something fun though. I just hope it’s not super somber.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It sounds like Reeves wants to make more of a detective story, and it will have a substantial rogues gallery, which leads me to think it'll be something like The Long Halloween or Hush (not an adaptation of one of those, just influenced by them).  That would be very different from the type of Batman movies we've gotten before.

• 2 weeks later...

My casting choices were Michael Fassbender, Karl Urban ever since The Dark Knight Triology ended and Charlie Cox after Daredevil was cancelled. Out of the rumoured names, I'd have gone with Robert Pattinson. Prefer him to Nicholas Hoult. Hoult must be gutted coming so close.

Edited by The Natural