DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

I enjoyed Aquaman and I liked it embracing all those comic book aspects. However, I'm not going to act like PWG Mount Rushmore for DC Films for doing one good movie after screwing up so many others that they shouldn't have. Guardians of the Galaxy had Howard the Duck in it for crying out loud. That movie came out over four years ago. Think about that. Marvel Studios put Howard the Duck in a mainstream PG-13 movie that became a billion dollar franchise. 

Hey good job DC. You got it right this time. Aquaman was a lot of fun. Wasn't great or perfect, but maybe more of this and less of the Batman v Superman garbage. 

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What does Aquaman have to do with any other movie?  Different director,  different team,  different actors..  I'm not sure even the executives are the same..   you are mad for no reason.  

I mean you did say the director is better than anyone for the MCU other than maybe the Russos. I mean if you want to make the argument that Wan did some cooler eye candy and embraced comic book idea better than say Jon Favreau, who was very hands off with anything beyond tech-based villains, then sure. I would say Wan has come a long way from Saw, which I find to be a genuinely awful movie. I thought Conjuring and Insidious were decent step ups for him. And he did a good job on the Fast franchise. 

I would say as a filmmaker he's shown a lot of improvement over the course of his career. But Aquaman hasn't convinced me yet that the ship has turned around. 

Marvel movie directors, rough chronological order: Jon Favreau, Louis Leterrier, Kenneth Branagh, Joe Johnston, Joss Whedon, Shane Black, Alan Taylor, Russo Brothers, James Gunn, Peyton Reed, Scott Derrickson, Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler.

And you'd put James Wan over every single one of them? OK. Well, we'll be disagreeing on that one. He'd be lucky to be in the top half, if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth Branagh is the best *director* in that list.

Marvel choosing Favreau's boring ass visual style after the first phase ended is what a lot of people hate about the MCU.  Wan is a visually exciting director, but he falls down in corralling his actors into better performances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Marvel movie directors, rough chronological order: Jon Favreau, Louis Leterrier, Kenneth Branagh, Joe Johnston, Joss Whedon, Shane Black, Alan Taylor, Russo Brothers, James Gunn, Peyton Reed, Scott Derrickson, Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler.

And you'd put James Wan over every single one of them? OK. Well, we'll be disagreeing on that one. He'd be lucky to be in the top half, if you ask me.

That's a very "workman" like list if you ask me. They'll get shit done but what else are they bringing to the table. Some of those guys have a few terrible terrible movies on their resume also.  Predator remake LOL.  As for Branaugh uhh..  Henry V okay.  Good for it's time I suppose. Anything he's done in the action/adventure realm pales in comparison to Aquaman.  Jack Ryan,  Thor, very bland..     Cinderella wasn't good either. Forget Whedon and Black the less said about them the better. Favreau has Jungle Book,  he also has Cowboys & Aliens blech. 

I like Branagh, but I think he has a very narrow lane in which he’s great.  Anytime he tries to go broad appeal, it gets dicey.  Remember MARY SHELLEY’S FRANKENSTEIN?

And his THOR is one of the bottom tier Marvel films.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Listen the bottom line here is Wan is a visual genius and everything he did with the action/adventure,  underwater scenes, tracking shots.. angles etc. and world building was all amazing.   

He's no Peyton Reed

On 12/27/2018 at 9:26 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sony put out Spider-Verse, not Marvel. 

And remember, Sony was absolutely trying to do something different with their last two movies (Venom, S-V) because frankly, they were on the verge of having to sell back the Spider IP to Marvel for pennies on the dollar.  And now that they have two legit hits, they are in a much better position. 

I'm not sure they were ever in danger of that. Even if they sold Spider-man back it would have been for a billion or more dollars, and they have always maintained they won't sell it back anyways. Bad positioning is more why the compromise with Spider-man in the MCU happened. Weirdly enough I think its also why the Into the Spider-verse happened since Sony doesn't have animation rights for Spider-man.

7Saw the movie, and I generally describe it as "A big dumb fun movie". What it does well it really does well but there isn't much depth to... Almost anything in it.

Biggest strengths to the movie would obviously be action sequences and just how beautiful it was. The scene in Italy was probably my favorite segment of the movie, beautifully shot with a great action sequence. Super appreciated mid fight Aquaman trying to save people too, a great detail most Superhero movies miss.  Momoa was great as Aquaman and the entire movie falls apart without him giving a damn likable portrayal. Also a damn good version of Black Manta, that even gave a great reason for the helmet. Final battle scene was fun as shit, Atlantis was beautiful, in general a good time is easy to find here.

Biggest downsides was that I just don't think this was a very well written movie, and they telegraphed all there twists and turns so hard. Like, did anyone actually by Nicole Kidman being dead? Anyone? Buehler? I know it's a common troupe but the conclusion there just left me cold. Ocean Master was a pretty uninteresting villian imo. There wasn't anything overly bad about him but Manta so clearly overshadowed him that it hurt the movie a tad for me. There was also some points I think the movie really would have benefited if it let you breath for a while. I'd have loved for there to be a scene of Aquaman and Mera trying to save as many people as possible from Aquamans home town after they show it wrecked. But the movie was just action scene to action scene a lot of the way through.

Also my very special list of top 3 plot holes

3. Maine sure got a lot of Hurricane level storms in this movie, didn't it?  

2. Atlantia is such a giften warrior she won't drop her trident even when unconcious.

1. Look Movie, I can overlook a lot. But how the sam hell would people STILL not know of Atlantis by the conclusion to this movie. You had a worldwide run of all major battleships and submarines crash on sure at high velocities as well as mass waste. That had to have killed the vast majorirt of active Navy members of every country in the world ON TOP of the life lost from people living on shore lines. If they wave that hit Aquaman is around the size that hit everyehere else places like New York, Miami, and LA, we are talking in the tens of millions dead. Then, there is an active battle that destroys large parts of an Italian town leaving bodies with suits clearly designed to keep water in at all times. And THEN a giant god damned sea creature breaks through the ground setting over what had to be gigantic siesmac activity, and there had to be a satelite that picked up that fight on top of rhe ocean. Atlantis existing shouldn't be a "that guy is paranoid" thing in that world".

I think this movie was hurt for me because I ended up comparing it to Spiderverse and it can't win that comparison.

• Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ant-Man movies are pretty much all Michael Pena. I don't remember anything else about them besides his stories. 

Dude, Peyton Reed's the shits. It hurts my soul just a little to see all the TV cuts between people talking in those movies, and I have no idea what I'm even talking about there.  I just know it's not good. I still like the movies, mind you, but that's no good. I've never seen a James Wan movie in my life. I'm just messing with you because you take this stuff so seriously and you're so bewilderingly partisan about it. Come on. Get with it. It's almost 2019. How many years in a row are we, collectively, going to go around this circle? What even is this life?

• Like 4

TTGTM was really good.

I haven't seen Aquaman yet, but Wan has been fascinating to watch grow as a director. He was this guy who, along with a friend, had this great idea he wasn't nearly good enough to pull off well (although it was a big success) and he's slowly gotten better as a director with each project.

I don't know that he's a great director, but he's certainly capable.

12 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm just messing with you because you take this stuff so seriously and you're so bewilderingly partisan about it. Come on. Get with it. It's almost 2019. How many years in a row are we, collectively, going to go around this circle? What even is this life?

I don't take it seriously at all.  If you've been around me for years you should know that I enjoy arguing about shit that doesn't matter much.  In the grand scheme there is no bias.  I own almost every MCU movie and I watch most of them the first weekend they are out. :lol: