DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

Aquaman was fun. Easily Dolph Lundgren's best work in years. And it's nice to see they're finally figuring out how to fight in a 3-dimensional environment which was one of my big complaints in Man of Steel.

I feel like my original post on Aqualad felt more negative then I meant it to be: it is a damn good time and a borderline great action movie, it's just one of those movies that the more you think about it, the more problems emerge with it. But thats a problem for most major super hero movies. Civil War, for instance, was a movie were the action wasn't as good as Aquaman and the story has an even bigger massive flaw (That being that Zemo's plan makes absolutely no sense, it's just a string of stuff that happend that led him to getting insanely lucky because the plot demands it. I can overlook that in some movies were the villian is cool enough to suspend belief, as in Heath Ledgers Joker, but not for Xemo or Luther who had very similar roles in Civil War and BvS). Basically Aquaman is a very fun, well shot movie that has its logic gaps that I am willing to overlook in terms of total enjoyment but can't place in my top 5 superhero movies of the the last so and so because the main flaws for me are still too big.

Basically, it's a coin flip for me with WW for best DCU movie, and would probably break my top 10 live action super hero movies of the last 15 years, but it doesn't threaten my top 5.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I feel like my original post on Aqualad felt more negative then I meant it to be: it is a damn good time and a borderline great action movie, it's just one of those movies that the more you think about it, the more problems emerge with it. But thats a problem for most major super hero movies. Civil War, for instance, was a movie were the action wasn't as good as Aquaman and the story has an even bigger massive flaw (That being that Zemo's plan makes absolutely no sense, it's just a string of stuff that happend that led him to getting insanely lucky because the plot demands it. I can overlook that in some movies were the villian is cool enough to suspend belief, as in Heath Ledgers Joker, but not for Xemo or Luther who had very similar roles in Civil War and BvS). Basically Aquaman is a very fun, well shot movie that has its logic gaps that I am willing to overlook in terms of total enjoyment but can't place in my top 5 superhero movies of the the last so and so because the main flaws for me are still too big.

Basically, it's a coin flip for me with WW for best DCU movie, and would probably break my top 10 live action super hero movies of the last 15 years, but it doesn't threaten my top 5. 

Good idea for a topic/conversation that. 

I'll wait for Aquaman to arrive on DVD, only DCEU movie I've not seen.

Two really good Aquaman details I haven't seen much talk of:

1) The writing creates a reason Arthur can't just call in Clark to roflstomp Atlantis. Sure he could do it but it wouldn't solve the underlying issues and even Superman couldn't stop a full on Atlantean invasion. They really made the problem one only Arthur could fix which I thought worked great.

2) Patrick Wilson delivers a lot of nuance as Orm. Dude is losing it over the fact that by old school Atlantean purity shit he should be the favourite son, yet his advisor, fiancee, and even his mom all clearly favour his brother and that just unravels him further. In a lot of ways he's suffered similarly to Arthur but rather than taking the lessons of those he loves, he lets each loss drive his anger and hate and becomes a worse person for it.

A lot of the character stuff in this was really good.

• Like 3

There's a lot of very frustrated DC fans out there, who are glad to have a movie that they don't have to boycott for reasons of low quality.

See whoever at Time Warner decided to give the reins of the DCEU to Zack Snyder? They'll never work in that town again. Snyder will get another chance though. He'll probably fuck it up, but anyone who got a big name directing seems to get chance after chance, no matter how long their streak of Dud flops.

26 minutes ago, AxB said:

There's a lot of very frustrated DC fans out there, who are glad to have a movie that they don't have to boycott for reasons of low quality.

I wonder if this is true as you put it. There are definitely Marvel movie fans now in a way that didn't exist twelve years ago. I think it's safe to say there were fans of a certain age that were "X-Men" fans from the 90s comics and cartoon. There are Spider-Man fans. You have Venom Fans or Punisher Fans or Wolverine fans on top of that.

There are certainly Batman fans. There are Superman fans in the Seinfeld vein. 

But just like I don't think generic "Marvel" fans existed in the mainstream twelve years ago, I'm not convinced that there are "DC" fans to the extent that would pump money into a random Aquaman movie. 

Genius of them to get James Wan for Aquaman who not only knows how to film action scenes, he's really good at filming moving actions scenes.

The fucking submarine stuff in Aquaman is cinematic magic.  

Only one origin has crossed the billion mark and that is Black Panther.  Aquaman could be the 2nd. If Aquaman reaches one billion at the box office it will be the 9th comic book movie to do so.  It will be the 3rd from WB/DC along with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. 

The Marvel billion dollar club is Avengers Infinity War ($2 billion),  Marvel's The Avengers ($1.5 billion),  Avengers Age of Ultron ($1.4 billion),  Black Panther ($1.3 billion),  Iron Man 3 ($1.2 billion) and Captain America Civil War ($1.1 billion).  

After Black Panther the next highest origin movies are Venom ($855M),  Aquaman (currently $846M) and Wonder Woman ($821M).  

Aquaman will pass Venom today.  

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Genius of them to get James Wan for Aquaman who not only knows how to film action scenes, he's really good at filming moving actions scenes.

The fucking submarine stuff in Aquaman is cinematic magic.  

That’s a word I haven’t used in quite a few years. Where I ask “How the fuck did they do that”.

All the 360 camera shots, plus tight close-ups are things I’ve never seen done so well until this. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be contrarian. Overall, I did not like this film at all. It was borderline plagiarist at times to Black Panther with respect of the plot. The dialogue was awful, and the more awful it was, the more obvious it was that it was phoned in by whoever was delivering it. Way too signposted for 2.5 hours.

I left wanting a Nicole Kidman origins film. In fact, I can't remember the last bad Nicole Kidman film I've seen. She's been awesome in everything I've seen her in the last 18 months.

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's why he's on the kickoff tomorrow. 

Sasha wears Wonder Woman gear and she's now in a high profile match with Ronda. 

DC is watching..  

Keep an eye out on Rey Mysterio with his comic book attires.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-batman-june-2021-release-date-ben-affleck-not-starring-1202545821/  

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. is dating their next rendition of Batman for June  25, 2021. This is the one that Matt Reeves has been attached to as writer and director. Ben Affleck, we hear, will not be donning the Dark Knight’s tights after playing the Caped Crusader in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League and that’s because this movie will focus on a younger Bruce Wayne.

Reeves boarded Batman in February 2017, taking over for Affleck who was originally set to direct off a script he wrote with DC’s Geoff Johns. Affleck, we understand has a busy plate:  As Deadline exclusively broke he is starring in and producing the feature adaptation of Kate Alice Marshall‘s novel I Am Still Alive, which Universal won in a competitive bidding scenario. The two-time Oscar winner is also starring in the Warner Bros.’ Gavin O’Connor drama Torrance. Affleck worked hard on The Batman story, but knew he wasn’t the right one for this particular version. A search is underway for a new Dark Knight.

The Batman will not be based on Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One comic which is one of Reeves’ favorites in the Caped Crusader canon.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Natural said:

After The Dark Knight Trilogy ended, I suggested Michael Fassbender and Karl Urban for Batman. Still do. Charlie Cox isn't doing anything now. Jake Gyllenhaal is another suggestion I'd make. Oscar Isaac also.

Fassbender would be a better Harvey Dent, in my fantasy booking. Karl Urban as Batman=all the monies!

• Like 1