DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

I enjoyed Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Shazam! 

I think they're all equally good for different reasons and I am happy that the DCEU folks are serious about getting their shit on track.

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Shazam is the most blatant "let's just make an MCU movie" they've done*. Even the post credits scenes follow the formula of about half the MCU.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also, this idea that Shazam was a "MCU movie" is  hilarious.

I will have to agree with my DVDVR Films partner, Mr. Fowler on this one.

Not only did SHAZAM! seem to ape the Marvel formula, it seemed to ape the Spider Man: Homecoming format specifically right down to the animated end credits set to a Ramones song.

That being said, why can't we all just be happy that DC superhero movies are getting better?  I was particularly surprised by how well they managed to use Dr. Sivana.  Sure, he wasn't the traditional version, but the way he was used in the story was excellent and the plot was well crafted.  

I also thought it was brave of them to explore the theme of the power of family, both positive and negative.  It was interesting to note how the negative effects of family plague both Billy and Sivana and how the positive effect of family helped Billy find his courage and also inspired him to share his power.  We got six superheroes for the price of one.

Edited by J.T.

Shazam felt kind of like the love child of Homecoming and Kick Ass. 

I think it just took time for the “Nolan effect” to wear off and DC to stop listening to the people that trolled them with bullshit nitpicking like all the destruction caused to the city in MoS causing them to make it central to the plot of BvS and the finale of Justice League having to take place in like some Chernobyl esque desolate city. 

Marvel kind of fell for the same crap after the first Avengers but worked it in to Civil War leading to major battles only taking place in Wakanda now conveniently. 

• Like 1

The cargo plane in Spider Man: Homecoming tore the shit out of the beach near Coney Island and there was an international list of cities in Spider Man:  Far From Home that got some serious superhero battle wear and tear. 

43 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Marvel kind of fell for the same crap after the first Avengers but worked it in to Civil War leading to major battles only taking place in Wakanda now conveniently. 

It is no more convenient than Superman retreating in Superman II and luring the Phantam Zone Three back to the Fortress of Solitude in order to avoid the senseless destruction of Metropolis. 

Sun Tzu says that it is the wise general that picks the terms of the engagement especially the location of the battle. 

I actually count it as a ding on Superman in Man of Steel for engaging in a Kryptonian slugfest with Zod that practically destroys Metropolis.  Is that what we can expect every time Superman needs to throw down?   Is this a DC or a Toho Productions kaiju movie?

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The major battle in Endgame took place in upstate New York.

Good point although in my defense after Thanos nuked the area it was just kind of a giant flattened dirt mound.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The cargo plane in Spider Man: Homecoming tore the shit out of the beach near Coney Island and there was an international list of cities in Spider Man:  Far From Home that got some serious superhero battle wear and tear. 

It is no more convenient than Superman retreating in Superman II and luring the Phantam Zone Three back to the Fortress of Solitude in order to avoid the senseless destruction of Metropolis. 

Sun Tzu says that it is the wise general that picks the terms of the engagement especially the location of the battle. 

I actually count it as a ding on Superman in Man of Steel for engaging in a Kryptonian slugfest with Zod that practically destroys Metropolis.  Is that what we can expect every time Superman needs to throw down?   Is this a DC or a Toho Productions kaiju movie?

OG Superman had the benefit of not having to deal with Zod and co till his second movie where he did a lot to mature up until that point. 

I’m not saying he’s completely innocent or that it doesn’t go against his character I just didn’t find it as blatantIy offensive as Batman just clipping bad guys left and right in BvS. 

If I had a problem with anything in MoS it was Russell Crowe showing back up. You had Costner doing an amazing job up until that point all flushed down the toilet just so we could try to make his death even more tragic but actually taking away from it. 

Here's what I'll say...  and I've been around here a long time I remember exactly how these conversations played out.  I'm no MCU hater,  quite the contrary..  I own several of the MCU movies and I usually see all of them or most of them in the theater.  I love some of MCU movies.   

But I do judge a few of them harshly like an Age of Ultron or a Thor Dark World or Iron Man 3..   usually phase 2 movies as I've liked pretty much all of the phase 3 movies to varying degrees. 

I was told on here by some people probably @Brian Fowler and I like Brian a lot we just disagree on movies sometimes..  it could very well be @Matt D as well but I was told that I was stating my views as if they were fact and not only that but my views were WRONG..  because all of those movies were fresh on RT and most audiences seemed to like them.  

This was around the time of Man of Steel and one of my points was 1. I felt critics were too harsh on Man of Steel and 2. I loved it,  audiences for the most part seemed to like it as it had good scores on RT and even though it wasn't fresh it was still 56% which mean that more critics liked it than not..  

Well,  fast-forward to Wonder Woman and Shazam and Aquaman etc.  and all of those movies that I like (I didn't like Suicide Squad and I thought JL was trash so this idea that I'm in the tank for DC movies isn't true) and all of these movies have good reviews,  some great reviews,  some glowing reviews and audiences dug them..  cool.  They were successful at the box office,  all of that. 

How is that a few years back I am stating things as fact supposedly but nowadays..  "hey, we all know it's just an opinion" 

In addition,  Joker which is still a WB/DC movie ended being fresh on RT,  has some bad reviews yes but a lot of rave reviews, won the Golden Lion, is predicted to be nominated for several Golden Globes and some Oscars and broke the record for highest grossing r-rated movie every (over $1,000,000,000) thus far....   

..and people on here all the time say it sucks or sucked and was a "disaster" and not just once but several times over..   it sounds like stating it as fact to me but if I am to take that as just this person's opinion then I should have been given the same leeway when discussing something like Age of Ultron instead of being attacked over what was just my opinion. 

47 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

..and people on here all the time say it sucks or sucked and was a "disaster" and not just once but several times over..   it sounds like stating it as fact to me but if I am to take that as just this person's opinion then I should have been given the same leeway when discussing something like Age of Ultron instead of being attacked over what was just my opinion. 

This is so blatantly untrue that people all the time on here say it sucked or was a disaster. It's bullshit and you're using hyperbole to strengthen your claims. At the time the movie came out you had some people talk about why they didn't like it with one person calling it garbage.

But you know what? Who cares! You act like someone just talked shit about your girlfriend or boyfriend where you take it as an insult and an opportunity to do everything in your power to try to defend your movie's honor. You could instead just leave well enough alone instead of always talking about how much money the movie made or how much critical acclaim it has received or whatever.

This movie, Todd Phillips, WB or Joaquin Phoenix don't care about you. Many comments in this thread have purely been about how much money the movie has made, pasting in tweets of celebrities who loved it, meme images, and more reports about how much money the movie has made as if that means anything. That's how I know people haven't been constantly shitting on the movie on here. That's also why you don't need to keep pointing out how much money it's made because we've seen it many times over. We all know it's incredibly successful, but what does being a cheerleader for it actually do?

If someone thought it sucked, let them think it sucked. What harm is there in people thinking back in October that it was over there top or insensitive or whatever? Those people have all largely moved on. This is like the Sasha Banks stuff and it's really weird for how much you come to a movie's defense or Sasha's defense (it's the one other example I could think of). What someone else has to say about either of those things has zero impact on you feel about those things. You're still going to love them and that's fine.

I like a lot of what you have to say about wrestling and movies and sports and other stuff. I don't really know you, but I'm comfortable in thinking you're a good person. Just, you don't always have to do this. I used to be really passionate about shit like this too and I look back at that and wonder why. Me today couldn't give a shit about what anyone says about Kevin Smith's movies. Me 15 to 20 years ago would go and die on a hill defending them, which is stupid. It's probably because I didn't have much else going on. Anyway, I appreciate your passion for this stuff, you just don't always have to die on a hill for it. Leave well enough alone. It's ok dude and you can still be comfortable with your opinion about the movie and be happy with how successful it was.

• Like 1

It’s cool if movies or whatever have good critical scores, or audience scores, or made a boatload of cash. But I don’t care about that. I care about what I felt while I was watching these movies. Shazam is the only DC movie I’ve actively enjoyed.

Age of Ultron is probably my second favorite Avengers movie, but I’m not out here writing paragraphs about why someone’s opinion on it is wrong.

• Like 1

@Craig H I agree with what you said except one aspect of it.  I remember those conversations especially about Man of Steel vividly and I would have let it go if people like Matt would let things go but maybe he's like me and sometimes feels he has to have the last word. So it goes around in circles. I realize that I can have the character flaw.  

But I found it hypocritical when I was attacked over my opinion on some MCU movies,  especially from people like @Casey and @West Newbury Bad Boy who both outright called me a Marvel hater because anyone who can read could see that I love a lot of MCU movies and anyone who can read can see that I love most DC movies...   there's no Wednesday Night War going on in my head,  I'm defending some DC movies sure but I'm not defending anything MCU because most of the people here are fine with whatever Marvel puts out and are apparently not going to like whatever DC puts out. 

If I hated Marvel I wouldn't buy their stuff. I wouldn't watch the movies. I buy Black Panther or Infinity War but Iron Man 3 won't be in my collection anytime soon and I don't see what the issue is with that,  that doesn't make me a hater.   There's things I like and things I don't. From both companies.  

If you bring this back around to wrestling,  look..  I can say someone like Charlotte Flair is a talented performer but I can also say she's way overpushed in my view and Sasha who I feel is actually better or if you don't feel she's better,  at least close..   and you look at their respective pushes and the general feeling the company has for both and I chose to defend Sasha because I feel it's bullshit how they've handled her career. But that doesn't make me a Charlotte Flair hater. I can say I want to see Charlotte go away for a while, it doesn't make me a hater. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But I found it hypocritical when I was attacked over my opinion on some MCU movies,  especially from people like @Casey and @West Newbury Bad Boy who both outright called me a Marvel hater because anyone who can read could see that I love a lot of MCU movies and anyone who can read can see that I love most DC movies...   there's no Wednesday Night War going on in my head,  I'm defending some DC movies sure but I'm not defending anything MCU because most of the people here are fine with whatever Marvel puts out and are apparently not going to like whatever DC puts out. 

I was hoping to avoid participating in your latest airing of grievances, opting instead to giggle from an appropriate distance. But okay.

a) I don't think I said that.

b) If I did say it, I'm not sorry because it's a silly thing to get this wound up over.

c) Plenty of people talk shit about super hero movies. The MCU flicks you say you judge harshly (IM3, Ultron, Dark World) routinely rank among people's least favourite. How you can possibly think you're being targeted for expressing commonly-held opinions like that is beyond me.

d) You say "there's no Wednesday Night War going on in my head." Fine. But I don't think anybody else is fighting that imaginary war either. So something is definitely going on in your head.

e) You brought up an internet slapfight you were having around the time Man of Steel came out. That was nearly seven years ago. Does any of this feel like healthy behaviour?

Lots of people talk about these movies. Nobody else is as consistently a magnet for pointless drama as you. Maybe step back and try some self-reflection. This is becoming hard to watch.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I like the fights in Man of Steel. Papa Kent is the laughable part of the movie, though, with his Ivan Drago impression “If he dies, he dies” / attitude. The tornado scene is so ridiculous. Clark, you should have let all these kids drown, but I sacrificed myself for this dog, and stared at you while a tornado swooped me up to show you how to be a hero. 

That reminds me of the recent episode of the Dollop with Patton Oswalt where they did a 2 part episode of Ronald and Nancy Reagan. 

You know, when you're born in 1980 you don't realize what kind of lunacy that whole presidency was. So yeah, sign me up for Wonder Woman laying the smack down on Nancy.