DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

18 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Eh..  Joker's first appearance was in 1940.  We're talking about 80 years with no definitive origin. 

Except for the Red Hood part, unless you also think that is from an reliable narrator. 

Leto's Joker doesn't begin to scratch the surface of everything wrong with that movie. I always laugh when it's brought up because he had like 5 minutes of screen time,  the movie was edited by a trailer company I mean what the fuck,  but hey David Ayer said that it was true to his vision...    then when #ReleasetheSnyderCut got huge he seems to backtrack and now implies that it wasn't his vision..    I don't think I need to see whatever his vision was,  I loved the Comic Con trailer but then every trailer got worse and worse leading to it's release. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Except all movie Jokers are playing variations on Cesar Romero's take.

I concur since Romero practically invented the Joker laugh and I would include Mark Hamill's voice acting role in that list.

There, I said it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Just watched Shazam since it's on HBO now.

This is legitimately the first good DC movie they've had since they started the DCEU. So, so, so much fun.

I also loved the post-credit scene, because I too think Aquaman isn't very cool.

It's also just an opinion, so YMMV.

I quite literally didn't like any of the previous DC movies since Man of Steel started the whole thing. I haven't seen Aquaman, but I really don't want to watch a movie about a dude who controls fish or whatever. Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad were... decent, I guess. But Shazam is waaaaaay up there, and the rest are waaaaay down there.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, AxB said:

So what you're saying is, the Jared Leto joker is every bit as valid as the Heath Ledger version?

source.gif

Also Wonder Woman was a terrific movie and I'll fight anybody who says different. 

Edited by BrianS81177

Shazam is the most blatant "let's just make an MCU movie" they've done*. Even the post credits scenes follow the formula of about half the MCU.

But... It's a formula that works extremely well for Marvel/Disney, and Shazam is a pretty good example of that formula. I liked it more than most of the DCEU as well, but I'm not sure I'm glad to see them just ape Marvel. I hope they continue to give different filmmakers a relatively freehand, even if I think the first guy they have that too turned in the worst two and a half movies of his career.

*Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Justice League all felt more like trying to build a bridge between the Snyder-style and the MCU formula, to varying degrees of success. The action scenes, in particular, in WW and Aquaman felt very much like "what if we did the Snyder fights, but with color, so they are more fun and less oppressive?" Which is how we got the all-time great stuff in Wonder Woman.

• Like 1

Also, this idea that Shazam was a "MCU movie" is  hilarious.  The MCU didn't start the formula you're describing. It was around during the Sony/Raimi Spider-Man movies.  The approach to origin films and the most basic storytelling through action set pieces and one liners was done in Spider-Man and then perfected in Spider-Man 2.  Everything since then has been another Spider-Man 2 outside of some outliers that tried to do something different..   Infinity War..  Winter Soldier... Black Panther..  

..and those are when the MCU has been at their best because they've stepped out a little bit from the safe zone. 

54 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If you think Wonder Woman was "decent"  at best but then spend all of your time on this board touting MCU movies...  that says it all.   There's nothing more to be said,  the statement alone combined with your post history tells the story. 

Man, it's almost like...people can have differing opinions about things instead of stating opinions as fact, which is what you're doing.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

I quite literally didn't like any of the previous DC movies since Man of Steel started the whole thing. I haven't seen Aquaman, but I really don't want to watch a movie about a dude who controls fish or whatever. Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad were... decent, I guess. But Shazam is waaaaaay up there, and the rest are waaaaay down there.

Niners, you HAVE to stop doing this.