DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

I still think The Dark Knight Rises is very good.  It's not my favorite of the three but it has some really great scenes..   all things Bane related are great.  The ending hurts a little bit because I feel like there's so much potential and they went the safe route and everything feels a little incomplete like with Catwoman and the potential sidekick story lines. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I still think The Dark Knight Rises is very good.  It's not my favorite of the three but it has some really great scenes..   all things Bane related are great.  The ending hurts a little bit because I feel like there's so much potential and they went the safe route and everything feels a little incomplete like with Catwoman and the potential sidekick story lines. 

I feel the exact opposite.  I think it was awesome that Bruce got the happily ever after he deserved after sacrificing so much to the city, and I really enjoyed the passing of the torch to "Robin" without the horror of the red and green costume seeing the light of day.

I used to think that Blake ascending the elevator to the Batcave was a note perfect fade to end credits, but now I wish we'd been able to see Blake in costume as Batman / Nightwing at least once.

Blake deducing Bruce's noctournal identity so quickly also used to annoy me, but I have warmed to the idea that Blake knew another wounded soul when he saw one and was able to connect the dots from there.  Dude is a detective after all.... just like the Batman.. and I have chalked up the "swiftness" up to theatrical time dilation.  

We can assume that the events captured in these movie happens over the course of days or weeks and we don't need to see every little event like Bruce brushing his teeth, Selena deciding what shoes she's going to wear to the fucking gala, or Blake sitting in his apartment eating Hot Pockets and scribbling his "Bruce Wayne = Batman?" notes into a loose leaf binder full of paper and photos.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 12:53 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

? Never watched them but he wrote Toy Story,  there's some hyperbole in my post that is only there to match Fowler's disdain for all things Snyder.

Yeah. All things Snyder except that I've repeatedly praised his Dawn of the Dead remake, gave Watchmen 3 1/2 on letterboxd about a week and a half ago, and probably have said more nice things about Sucker Punch on this board than everyone else combined. Hell, I think I also called 300 the greatest visual movie of it's decade.

MoS is a mediocre movie. BvS is a fucking shitty movie. Justice League isn't very good, but it's better than MoS and a fuckton better than BvS.

• Like 3

The only good things out of that pile of shit that's the worst Batman movie ever made is Hardy hamming it up with the Bane stuff and Hathaway in the Catwoman suit. 

The characterization of Batman in that was worse than all the Dreaming Bat-killer shit everyone lost their shit over in BvS.

Justice League is nowhere near the movie that Man of Steel is.   Justice League is all corny one liners and terrible looking CGI action BS with Wonder Woman sexed up and completely ruined.   It reminds me a lot of Age of Ultron which no surprise...  Whedon..  

Man of Steel on the other hand has a lot more weight and stakes to it..   stakes that are felt on screen without a dumb joke being thrown in every two seconds and the action sequences are superb,   probably the best action filmed in a CBM outside of Winter Soldier and Infinity War.  Whedon apparently doesn't know how to tell a story without his "witty" comedy. Feige had to reel him in to make the movies watchable. 

There's a reason why Gal,  Affleck,  shit even Damon Lindelof and a host of other people in the business love Snyder and want his version released.   He's respected in the community and a couple dudes on a board isn't going to change that.     

• Like 2

My problems with The Dark Knight Rises (2012) off the top of my head:

Everyone finding Batman's secret identity. Bane had to. John Blake did by a bloody look. Commissioner Gordon was really stupid for not knowing.

The plot trying to do a Knightfall meets No Man's Land but not nearly as good. 

Bane wanting to fulfil Ra's al Ghul's destiny even though he was excommunicated from the League of Shadows.

The reveal Bane wasn't his own man but was in cahoots with Talia al Ghul. I probably would've lost Talia.

Batman's voice. Wish Christian Bale stuck with his Batman Begins voice.

Bane's death. 

Bruce was only Batman for a short period of time, couple of years at the most?

Less Commissioner Gordon. 

Bruce Wayne is hella forgiving after what Selina Kyle did to him.

Matthew Modine's Foley character.

Not enough Tumbler, Batman's black version. 

Missed the gliding.

---

The few things I did like:

Only one Bane line from the original prologue you could see at the cinema in December 2011 as I did with my Dad remained. The rest was redone. Found that funny. 

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. 

Bane's look and WTF voice.

First fight between Batman and Bane set to no music, the dialogue and Bane breaking the Bat.

Scarecrow's cameo.

Edited by The Natural

On 11/18/2019 at 6:26 AM, J.T. said:

Watchmen was great.  I actually prefer Snyder's Dr. Manhattan swerve because I also believe that the alien squid plan from the CELEBRATED GRAPHIC NOVEL~! was really stupid.  Yes, I know that's blasphemy.

I'm with you there

15 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I'm with you there.

Given the Looking Glass character study episode of the series, I feel the need to caveat that by saying that I think that the squid plot is dumb within the contest of the graphic novel itself.

The embellishment of the series into the events of the squid attack, even going so far as refer to the event by date (11-2) to synch it up with the trauma of the 9-11 attacks, makes the hoax seem a lot more terrifying and it also brings clarity to what a homicidal and ingenious psychotic that Ozymandias really is.

Damon Lindelöf's superb writing has given me a new appreciation for the graphic novel by making what once seemed totally absurd absolutely horrifying.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Log said:

Right, @J.T.  That combined with the "aftershock" mini-squid rains makes it so much better.

One alien attack is obviously going to scare the shit out of everyone but once a year or two or 30 pass..  less and less people care or simply weren't there, etc..  so that's where the mini squid rainfalls and I'm guessing the drug 'nostalgia' come in to both terrify and allow the government to remind/keep people in check. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 2:58 PM, The Natural said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-sequel-works-as-todd-phillips-eyes-more-dc-origin-movies-1256255

Think I'd prefer Joker to remain a one and done. Can the sequel be worthwhile? It can but will it?

See how the Joker was basically a cross between Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy? Wouldn't it be funny if Joker 2 was sort of a cross between After Hours and The Last Temptation of Christ?

If only the timeline was slightly different, we could blame Scorsese's anti-Marvel tirade on him not knowing the difference between Marvel and DC, and being salty that a Superhero movie cribbed heavily from his past work and made money than whole decades of his career combined have.

• Like 1

Was he? He's not listed on imdb. He's not on it's page, and the movie isn't on his. And even if he was a producer, was he actually involved in producing the movie, or was it one of those "We'll give you a Producer credit if you do this one thing for us" type deals? Where the one thing was to not shit talk them for plagiarising him?

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, The Natural said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-sequel-works-as-todd-phillips-eyes-more-dc-origin-movies-1256255

Think I'd prefer Joker to remain a one and done. Can the sequel be worthwhile? It can but will it?

See, what makes Joker work is that it's really not a "Joker" movie. You have references to Thomas Wayne and such, but that's not what the movie is about. If you make a sequel, someone along the way will pressure it to be more like the comics and try to blend this with the guy we know in the books. Arthur Fleck's descent into madness was a fascinating story, but I can't see Arthur Fleck in the criminal world as being something I would want to see

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Dont really see what is wrong with not liking a particular interpretation of a character, be it Joker, Superman, Popeye, the Lone Ranger or whomever. 

You don't understand. There is no Joker. There are Jokers... there is no one Joker.  "Not my Joker"  is stupid.