DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

42 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I will definitely say Lawrence Sher deserves an Oscar nomination.

Phoenix certainly belongs in the mix.

On the other hand, Joker does not belong in the best picture conversation.

No Hildur Guðnadóttir for Best Original Score? 

Joaquin Phoenix's performance as Arthur Fleck/Joker, Lawrence Sher's cinematography and music by Hildur Guðnadóttir's were the film's highlights. 

Edited by The Natural

BTW, Neal Brennan had a very interesting take on Joker. He didn't like it and he felt like he wasn't going to like it going in. The main thing he pointed out is that Todd Phillips is trying to make the jump like Adam McKay did, except Adam McKay already was good at making satire and could translate that from comedies to dramas well. Todd Phillips on the other hand excelled at party movies and has a spottier track record and so when he goes to make something like Joker, everything feels off.

Regarding the rest of the box office talk as any sort of indicator for who's winning a pissing match, all I'll say is that a fuck ton of people paid actual money to see Jurassic World and did so repeatedly week after week. People are fucking dumb. Meanwhile, Booksmart made about nothing in the box office, very few saw it, and it's probably one of the better movies I saw this year.

The seamless effects work and cinematography in Ricky Bobby really do prove Brennan's theory.  From a technical standpoint McKay is head and shoulders above his comedy director contemporaries.

Edited by Bustronaut

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

BTW, Neal Brennan had a very interesting take on Joker. He didn't like it and he felt like he wasn't going to like it going in. The main thing he pointed out is that Todd Phillips is trying to make the jump like Adam McKay did, except Adam McKay already was good at making satire and could translate that from comedies to dramas well. Todd Phillips on the other hand excelled at party movies and has a spottier track record and so when he goes to make something like Joker, everything feels off.

Regarding the rest of the box office talk as any sort of indicator for who's winning a pissing match, all I'll say is that a fuck ton of people paid actual money to see Jurassic World and did so repeatedly week after week. People are fucking dumb. Meanwhile, Booksmart made about nothing in the box office, very few saw it, and it's probably one of the better movies I saw this year.

Jurassic World had the benefit of being a four quadrant movie, PG-13 and playing in places like China where I'm sure it racked up a ton. It also has the benefit of 90s nostalgia like The Lion King and all these awful remakes that are being made. It also had the benefit of a monster opening weekend of $200M in the middle of the summer and summer weekdays which are always higher than October.

People can say what they want but the box office run is impressive and it's going to be a contender during awards season, it won at Venice and finished 5th at TIFF while Phillips finished 2nd for directing at TIFF. Obviously a ton of people think this project worked.

Oh no, there's a ton of virtual camera work in that movie.  It's breathtaking from a technical standpoint because it meshes so well with the live action plates that you never question a camera move that goes through the windshield during a race.

16 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

Oh no, there's a ton of virtual camera work in that movie.  It's breathtaking from a technical standpoint because it meshes so well with the live action plates that you never question a camera move that goes through the windshield during a race.

I may actually watch something that's been collecting dust in my Netflix watchlist. Wow.

• Thanks 1

EG9VEWMU8AAjN06?format=jpg&name=large

Cesar Romero's Joker should be with Nicholson's, Hamill's, Ledger's and Phoenix's.

Live-action Jokers:

1. Ledger. 

2. Phoenix. 

3. Nicholson. 

4. Romeo. 

5. Leto. 

Only thing I wasn't sure on, Nicholson a spot above Romero or whether Romero goes above Nicholson. If we're counting animation among live-action, Mark Hamill tops the lot.

Edited by The Natural

52 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

Romero's Joker is the best version, Hamill, Nicholson and Ledger were playing variations of it.

I probably wouldn't dispute that Romero was the best, but I'd argue that Nicholson's version was closer to what the character was through most of it's existence than any other version.