DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

2 minutes ago, Ligerbusa said:

I thought it was an anthem for hockey teams and that one scene in The Office.

It's been a very popular sports anthem. It's also somewhat less known here than in England that Gary Glitter is a convicted pedophile.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Top 10 (era-appropriate) songs that would have been better for that scene in Joker (than Child rape anthem Rock n Roll Part 2):

1. Slade: Mama Weer All Crazee Now
  2. T-Rex: Children of the Revolution
  3. Aerosmith: Lightning Strikes
  4. Adam and the Ants: Prince Charming
  5. Judas Priest: Breaking the Law
  6. James Brown: Funky President
  7. Donna Summer: Hot Stuff
  8. Sex Pistols: Bodies
  9. New York Dolls: Personality Crisis
  10. Queen: Another One Bites the Dust

Any song would be better than one by Gary Glitter, a prolific paedophile.

What "nuanced story about mental illness" was the movie trying to tell, that the mentally ill are dangerous?

Nothing in the movie was Arthur's fault, the world just kept raining shit on him. He then kills a bunch of people in an attempt to get imagined justice for himself.  The script was terrible, the directing was shoddy. Phoenix gave a performance that worked in spite of everything else, but didn't save the movie from being a Snyderian ode to better, more original works, taking imagery without realizing the context it was steeped within.

Todd Phillips:

• Road Trip
  • Old School
  • Starsky & Hutch
  • School for Scoundrels
  • The Hangover
  • Due Date
  • The Hangover 2
  • The Hangover 3
  • War Dogs
  • Joker

Yeah... no. No. Subtlety and nuance? Sensitivity? No. Think of the scene where the guy with dwarfism has to beg Arthur to open the door for him. That's exactly the sort of thing he'd have put in an earlier movie because he thought it was hilarious.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't really care much about this movie or any of the "controversy", but, reading that list of films: Why the fuck did they think THAT guy would be proper for Joker?

Because's it's already made nearly $600M on a $64M budget.  Sounds like they got the right guy. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

3 hours ago, AxB said:

No. Think of the scene where the guy with dwarfism has to beg Arthur to open the door for him. That's exactly the sort of thing he'd have put in an earlier movie because he thought it was hilarious.

That scene got a big laugh in the theater by the way.  Well not the whole scene.. but that one part of it.  I'm loving this thread.  "I didn't like it so they fucked up"  uh.. nah that's not how it works. 

Edit:  I'm sorry it's already crossed $600 million. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT