DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They still have some set in that universe, but they are being designed to only loosely connect.

With other movies being completely separate. They have completely given up on the MCU model.

It just seems counterintuitive that the comic book company that pretty much wrote the book on tie-ins and mash-ups would decide to only loosely connect their cinematic properties.

I guess I am just amazed by their continued ineptitude when it comes to getting the Super Friends right in a fucking movie.  It should be second nature.

Maybe I am just expecting too much?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Possibly going to watch this this week but, real talk, how much of this feels like a comic book remake of You Were Never Really Here? Because that's the vibe I've been getting off Phoenix when he's Arthur in the trailer

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Already existing, very popular IP?

It made $100M more worldwide this weekend than insider industry projections so nice try.    

Oh and with the confirmed $64M budget Warner Bros. is already making bank.     Also,   Phoenix has not closed the door on being Joker again.  He did an interview yesterday where he was open to the idea. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don't know what this has to do with what I said. Thanks for sharing though. 

It's a sign of what they call in the industry "word of mouth".     Everyone knew it was going to make money but it made way more than the experts thought it would. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's a sign of what they call in the industry "word of mouth".   

Why does word of mouth explain the box office more than the fact that this thing was dressed up in wildly popular IP that's been all over a ton of other successful pop culture properties for more than a generation? "Experts" went low because of the R-rating, but this character draws. Not sure why you seem to have a problem with me saying so. People dropping the ball on projections has both fuck and all to do with my point. 

My feeling has generally been that word of mouth better explains something having a longer life at the box office. Thanks for letting me know what people "in the industry" call things though. Very educational. 

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Not sure why you seem to have a problem with me saying so.

Hey, man, you can talk bad about Marvel all you want, but don't you dare insinuate anything negative about DC properties!

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Hey, man, you can talk bad about Marvel all you want, but don't you dare insinuate anything negative about DC properties!

What's the point you're trying to make here?  I own several of the MCU movies.  I was just talking to Natural about the End Game steelbook not long ago.   I like some movies and I dislike other movies.   That's not really too hard to grasp. ?

31 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't mention anything about her at all in the PPV thread.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  ?

I will take your word for it. It was already like15 pages long when I got up, so I did a “mark as read” on it. ? 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't mention anything about her at all in the PPV thread.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  ?

Well you shoulda been shouting it from the rooftops! Easily one of her top five matches. Might almost make a Sasha fan outta me. Be a shame if people skip that show because of the main. The women's matches were the best part of it.

Oh yeah, Joker. Going to see it Wednesday. Hoping for the best.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Well you shoulda been shouting it from the rooftops! Easily one of her top five matches. Might almost make a Sasha fan outta me. Be a shame if people skip that show because of the main. The women's matches were the best part of it.

Oh yeah, Joker. Going to see it Wednesday. Hoping for the best.

It was a great match but I expected it to be.  No reason for me to state the obvious last night..  ?

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Anytime. ?

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Too bad we didn’t have Sasha come out on the ppv dressed as the joker. It would have been the perfect storm. ? 

What's the point you're trying to make here?  I own several of the MCU movies.  I was just talking to Natural about the End Game steelbook not long ago.   I like some movies and I dislike other movies.   That's not really too hard to grasp. ?

LividDeadlyAfricanbushviper-size_restric 

Problem with me using @odessasteps favorite emoji?  I can like it too....  ? 

Anyway,  back on topic.   

I wanted to touch on the conversation from the previous page.  DC/WB saw no reason to scrap certain elements of previous movies.   So Wonder Woman and Aquaman and Harley Quinn are all going to continue on and there might be some loose connectivity here and there but probably not a lot,  they can all be successful on their own.  

"Joker" is the first of the rumored "Elseworlds/Black Label"  idea but they don't have to be standalone either,  if Phillips/Phoenix want to do something but I'm not sure it'd be connected to Matt Reeves' Batman because supposedly he had a trilogy mapped out.   They won't try a team up for a while after the butchered JL attempt. 

19 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Possibly going to watch this this week but, real talk, how much of this feels like a comic book remake of You Were Never Really Here? Because that's the vibe I've been getting off Phoenix when he's Arthur in the trailer

I can see this but I think the comparision made a few pages back about this being Falling Down with clowns(great band name) is more spot on