DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

Any entertainment person complaining about "SJWs" or the "PC Police" have just grown lazy about doing new things with their output.

Also, Vice was the second shitiest best picture nominee *that year.* Green Book won.  Vice's centrist view of Dick Cheney as a decent man playing for the other team was terrible, but nothing compared to Viggo Mortenson teaching a Jazz musician about Aretha Franklin and fried chicken.

Was that a centrist view, or was that just trying to find some humanity or something that makes the subject matter tick? A fool's errand with a piece of shit as shitty as Cheney, but still, McKay drags him quite a bit too. Clumsy, but I'd take it over Bohemian Rhapsody (and probably Green Book too, if I could ever be bothered). 

I'd probably take it over a lot of things that actually won Best Picture in other years too. At the very least, it had a handful of comedic choices that made me chuckle. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

Hello. I saw Joker last night and I loved it.

My fear based on early word was that he would either be too sympathetic or they would display him as a hero figure. Thankfully, neither are the case. I did have some sympathy for him early on but that quickly disappears when he you see he's a very, very bad person. A friend asked me if he was a sexist incel, I don't really know where that comes from.

Joaquin Phoenix should obviously get an Oscar nomination, I'd like to see Hildur Guðnadóttir get one as well for the amazing score. 

Edited by Ligerbusa
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ligerbusa said:

Hello. I saw Joker last night and I loved it.

My fear based on early word was that he would either be too sympathetic or they would display him as a hero figure. Thankfully, neither are the case. I did have some sympathy for him early on but that quickly disappears when he you see he's a very, very bad person. A friend asked me if he was a sexist incel, I don't really know where that comes from.

Joaquin Phoenix should obviously get an Oscar nomination, I'd like to see Hildur Guðnadóttir get one as well for the amazing score. 

@Ligerbusa!!! So good seeing you here again, Bat bud!

• Like 2

I'm working night shift this weekend in support of [redacted] so I will miss premier weekend.  I appreciate all of the advance opinions as I give a lot of weight to what you guys think.

I'll catch it next Friday provided I'm not in sticker shock after having to buy a new car as a worst case scenario since I may be having transmission problems with my current vehicle.  I take it to the shop next Wednesday.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'm working night shift this weekend in support of [redacted] so I will miss premier weekend.  I appreciate all of the advance opinions as I give a lot of weight to what you guys think.

I'll catch it next Friday provided I'm not in sticker shock after having to buy a new car as a worst case scenario since I may be having transmission problems with my current vehicle.  I take it to the shop next Wednesday.

Best wishes, my mate.

• Like 1

Frankly, while I don't agree with all the choices Todd Phillips made with this movie, I think he made a valid point in his vanity fair interview about Twitter and social media. And trying to call him a "bitch baby" in response sort of proves his point. 

• Like 1

I don't know about that. I see a lot of people out there still making a killing in comedy. Even people who have been deemed to not share "mob's" worldview. For as much as PC culture is blamed for pushing voices out of comedy (and culture in general), there sure is a nice active marketplace out there populated by your "very concerned about the future of free speech" crowd. If the mob were anything more than a boogeyman, surely Joe Rogan's head would be on a spike by now. Nobody's cancelled Bill Maher, and he has a shitty, offensive new take every time he makes mouth sounds. What valuable voices have we lost to the pitchfork-wielding crazies? Roseanne? Good riddance to bad rubbish. They can't even get Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham to fuck off forever, and their programs are a carnival of barely-disguised Stormfront jerk-off material. This mob is pretty limp and ineffectual. Forgive me for not clutching my pearls because the culture moved too fast for Norm Macdonald.

If I'm being glib and reductive, I love that Todd made a movie about a dude who sucks at being funny feeling rejected by the world and going on a killing spree. Nothing to be read into that. Nope. Nothing at all. You've seen the movie, so I'm sure you'll tell me how I'm wrong. But from a distance, I find that hilarious. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 4

Guest The Magnificent 7

If?

Wherein West Newbury Bad Boy seems disappointed the mob is merely a bogeyman, limp, and ineffectual. 

Edited by The Magnificent 7

44 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don't know about that. I see a lot of people out there still making a killing in comedy. Even people who have been deemed to not share "mob's" worldview. For as much as PC culture is blamed for pushing voices out of comedy (and culture in general), there sure is a nice active marketplace out there populated by your "very concerned about the future of free speech" crowd. If the mob were anything more than a boogeyman, surely Joe Rogan's head would be on a spike by now. Nobody's cancelled Bill Maher, and he has a shitty, offensive new take every time he makes mouth sounds. What valuable voices have we lost to the pitchfork-wielding crazies? Roseanne? Good riddance to bad rubbish. They can't even get Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham to fuck off forever, and their programs are a carnival of barely-disguised Stormfront jerk-off material. This mob is pretty limp and ineffectual. Forgive me for not clutching my pearls because the culture moved too fast for Norm Macdonald.

If I'm being glib and reductive, I love that Todd made a movie about a dude who sucks at being funny feeling rejected by the world and going on a killing spree. Nothing to be read into that. Nope. Nothing at all. You've seen the movie, so I'm sure you'll tell me how I'm wrong. But from a distance, I find that hilarious. 

YouTube demonetized Joe Rogan over something already. Not sure if it was a singular clip or his whole channel. But they have demonetized him somewhere. Also, Kevin Hart shouldn't have been forced out of the Academy Awards either. 

Edited by TheVileOne

11 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

If?

Wherein West Newbury Bad Boy seems disappointed the mob is merely a bogeyman, limp, and ineffectual. 

Absolutely. If the thing you're threatened by weren't completely incapable of carrying out its purported goals, I wouldn't need to spend as much time rolling my eyes so hard at all the pearl clutching. I don't know how people can spend so much time worrying about something with no real power. 

Just now, TheVileOne said:

YouTube demonetized Joe Rogan already. 

Also, Kevin Hart shouldn't have been forced out of the Academy Awards either. 

I'll be sure to take time tonight to say a prayer for two wildly successful dudes who will continue to be wildly successful. 

Maher was in super hot water for the house n***** thing. If Michael Eric Dyson didn't come in and play "Hey, I'm his one black friend with credibility to say he isn't racist", Maher would be fucked.

• Like 1

I respect your views Bad Boy. I think we can have this discussion without it getting too intense.

I think everyone should probably just see Joker once and see what they think. It's that type of movie. Josh Brolin also posted his thoughts. Thought it was interesting.

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7
7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Absolutely. If the thing you're threatened by weren't completely incapable of carrying out its purported goals, I wouldn't need to spend as much time rolling my eyes so hard at all the pearl clutching. I don't know how people can spend so much time worrying about something with no real power. 

I'll be sure to take time tonight to say a prayer for two wildly successful dudes who will continue to be wildly successful. 

I am not worried about it.  We’re in agreement at how incapable they are at their goals.  I’m happily not disappointed with it. 

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maher was in super hot water for the house n***** thing. If Michael Eric Dyson didn't come in and play "Hey, I'm his one black friend with credibility to say he isn't racist", Maher would be fucked.

I was going to comment that Bill has other credible-adjacent friends who would probably be happy to come to his defence, and just now realized how long it’s been since Cornel West was on his show. 

43 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Rogan is on a whole different level though. If he didn't get in on the ground level before anyone else as far podcasting and video content goes, he would be persona non grata. That marketplace you're talking about is one he created which is why he shouldn't be thrown in with Kevin Hart. The Mencia joke stealing witchhunt he led also bought him goodwill. That said, he still got in trouble with the Fallon Fox and Cris Cyborg stuff but that's more on the UFC not punishing him. If Endeavor owned UFC then, Rogan would have got fired. He got fucking lucky by timing. I think what helps Rogan is the fact that if he has a white nationalist or Youtube/media personalities who are now outright racists like Anthony Cumia who he was friendly with since the Opie & Anthony days, he will also have rap personalities or Mike Tyson or Deontay Wilder. He is now our generation's Donahue but he sells sex toys and shit. Again, if he didn't play a part in creating that marketplace, he would be out on his ass. 

As for Kevin Hart, as a member of Black Twittersphere, I will say that Hart might be on borrowed time because he is slowly cutting away as his fanbase that he started with. The backlash from the Lil Nas X stuff on LeBron's barbershop HBO show lets me know that if he sneezes wrong, black people will jump all over him. Then before that, Kevin Hart (and Tiffany Haddish) feuding with Katt Williams didn't exactly do a whole bunch for him to get people back on his side. Then, cheating on his pregnant wife. Once Hollywood stops fucking with Kevin Hart and he cannot be in Jumanji part XV and blockbuster films, it's going to be super hard for him to just be a top comedian. That last special he did in that stadium in Philadelphia wasn't even good by Kevin Hart standards. Being wildly successful for the next year or so... maybe if he plays his cards right and stays out of the spotlight. His long term prospects aren't good though.

In addition, Kevin was just in a really bad car crash not even a month ago where he suffered spinal injuries. He still hasn't fully recovered. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1