DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think you're right.  I wouldn't pay much attention to a few negative reviews,  they are negative because they a attempting to drive home their political rants about how the movie is "problematic" and all sorts of other nonsense.  Be happy that you don't live in America.  You have one side of the aisle that's lost it's mind so then the other side thinks they need to overcompensate and it's really strange times we live in.  You can't have a nice discussion about film,  video games or music without it being politicized. 

It’s more than a few at this point 

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It’s more than a few at this point 

It has more perfect scores than most CBM's I've seen,  it won the Golden Lion at Venice,  Phillips was 2nd in directing at Tiff,  Joker was 5th overall at Tiff and Phoenix was 2nd at Tiff for acting.  I looked around at the negatives and then I read an article about how this is THE movie to bang on about "incels"  and that matched was I was seeing from the negatives along with all this other nonsense that normal people don't care about.  We'll see. 

I'd be very surprised if at least Phoenix wasn't nominated. Either way all this "incel" garbage will be more likely to help it's box office than hurt it.  

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Seems fairly mixed among top critics. Also, I was referring to awards prestige and not box office, which I expect to do very well.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019/reviews?type=top_critics

What I'm saying about that is it has a 7.6 average which means there are perfect scores up and down that list including many of those top critics that gave it a perfect 10. If you look at a movie like Infinity War and even though that is 85% it and Joker have the same average. 

Which means the critics who like Joker LOVE it and the other critics who don't like it in the minority really hate it

If we're just talking awards season and RT % I don't think it means that much.   Last year Green Book won Best Picture with 78%,  I believe The Revenant had 79% and Vice was nominated for Best Picture with 66%.    I think it's a toss up because there's a lot of strong candidates this year like Marriage Story or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood along with the A24 films like The Lighthouse and Waves or now that Jojo Rabbit won at TIFF which is interesting if you look at that movie's RT% it's damn near identical to Joker and similar in average rating.  

On 9/19/2019 at 10:41 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Be happy that you don't live in America.  You have one side of the aisle that's lost it's mind so then the other side thinks they need to overcompensate and it's really strange times we live in.  

Yes, what a uniquely American phenomena. Discourse is only fucked up there. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Yes, what a uniquely American phenomena. Discourse is only fucked up there. 

It is unique because the foreign critics are not discussing mass shootings and incels and other bullshit that has nothing to do with the quality of the movie.  Without getting too political,  Trump went on television after El Paso and instead of speaking on gun violence and mental health (he maybe touched on mental health but not in a real way) or anything worth discussing,  he harped on video games.  There's the problem,  video games.   Now upon the release of this film,  the left (and I am left leaning on most issues, if not all) have called for boycotts of this film and spoke on these things in their review and are alleging that this movie could somehow inspire the next shooter. 

So what they did was much like Trump,  they are passing the blame onto the entertainment industry.  Sure, they've spoke on the more logical reasons behind why these tragedies occur but this was a situation where they said Trump was being ridiculous for blaming video games and then they decided to turn around and blame movies. Ridiculous. 

If Taxi Driver was made today...  forget it.  Actually, it wouldn't see the light of day.   If I want to read a political rant I'll go read a political rant,  I'll throw on one of the many talking head shows throughout the day that make me ill within 2 minutes.  I am very much involved in politics in my own life,  more than I'd like to speak on here but some things do not need to be politicized.  Call of Duty is fine.  Go play it.   Movies are fine, go see them.   There are a million reasons why these things are happening and it's sad that some want to make entertainment the issue. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

21 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It is unique because the foreign critics are not discussing mass shootings and incels and other bullshit that has nothing to do with the quality of the movie.  Without getting too political,  Trump went on television after El Paso and instead of speaking on gun violence and mental health (he maybe touched on mental health but not in a real way) or anything worth discussing,  he harped on video games.  There's the problem,  video games.   Now upon the release of this film,  the left (and I am left leaning on most issues, if not all) have called for boycotts of this film and spoke on these things in their review and are alleging that this movie could somehow inspire the next shooter. 

So what they did was much like Trump,  they are passing the blame onto the entertainment industry.  Sure, they've spoke on the more logical reasons behind why these tragedies occur but this was a situation where they said Trump was being ridiculous for blaming video games and then they decided to turn around and blame movies. Ridiculous. 

Oh, don't worry -- We caught all of this up here, because your media and the orange shit goblin have a way of sucking the oxygen out of the media even beyond your borders. I quite enjoyed the way he used a visit with shooting victims to compare crowd sizes with Beto. 

Apologies for coming off testy. I'm just amused to see you describe the phenomenon of these specific cultural battles as uniquely American. The Toronto van attack last year pushed the shitty conversation about incels all the way into our mainstream, as if we hadn't already inflicted Jordan Peterson's 12 Steps for Garbage Misogynist Losers on the rest of world (I'd call Peterson "Dr.", but lord knows he doesn't respect what anybody else wants to be addressed as). This stuff is seemingly happening everywhere that doesn't have bigger problems. I'm sure when this news finally hits the blue hairs here, the National will have a full panel discussion how problematic the flick is. We definitely have pearl clutching and anti-PC backlash up here too.

Amusing (? probably not) aside: When you mentioned one side down there losing its mind and the other over-compensating, I genuinely didn't know which way to take that. It can be done from either angle. 

At least I'm not living in Poland. Yet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Amusing (? probably not) aside: When you mentioned one side down there losing its mind and the other over-compensating, I genuinely didn't know which way to take that. It can be done from either angle. 

I was tying not to offend anyone because I have friends on the other side of the aisle whom are great people and just happen to disagree with me on some issues but we understand and respect each other's opinions.  That is how it used to be at least from my experience and there was a thing called decorum.  

The bottom line is I don't feel video games and film and any type of arts should be under attack because Washington can't come together and decide on real resolutions for very real problems. 

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was tying not to offend anyone because I have friends on the other side of the aisle whom are great people and just happen to disagree with me on some issues but we understand and respect each other's opinions.  That is how it used to be at least from my experience and there was a thing called decorum.  

The bottom line is I don't feel video games and film and any type of arts should be under attack because Washington can't come together and decide on real resolutions for very real problems. 

I don't know how much shit in politics gets done with decorum and I don't know when people got that idea. But I'll leave it at that. People can discuss in good faith though. No issue there.

You're right about video games of course. It's Marilyn Manson for 2019 (except it's not, because we seemingly keep repeating this dumb video game conversation...), but it's easier to scapegoat the art of the problematic loser or outsider or marginalized person than go after the real problem. 

Joaquin Phoenix made I'm Still Here. He's not afraid to work the media. And walking out of an interview is a lot more newsworthy than just refusing to answer a question or giving a mushy answer. So I think it's a gimmick, is what I'm saying.

The Telegraph magazine is right here, btw. I read the whole article. Pretty boring.

I think it would not be difficult to make a superhero movie that is just good guys vs bad guys without having it be full of thinly veiled analogies and such. 

That is, you could make a movie using Luthor and just have him be a supervillain and not a stand in for the Prez. 

30 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think it would not be difficult to make a superhero movie that is just good guys vs bad guys 

Well we do have plenty of those.  I like that people still want to try something different no matter the outcome.  If they try something different and it falls flat and doesn't make any money, etc.  I would still like that they tried something.  If a movie wins awards and cleans up at the box office that's cool too.  Joker is going to fall more along the lines of the latter than the former especially in that it only cost $55M.   I'm excited there likely won't be a final act of CGI stuff colliding with other CGI stuff. Something different. 

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think you can completely swamp a movie purely in socio-political standings, but I also think it's crazy to think you can divorce a movie from it's socio-political context. 

I agree, but its an interesting paradox.

To play Devil's Advocate a bit, why are you asking that question of Joachim when it is arguably better suited to be answered by the producers, writers, or the director?  

Joachim is an actor.  Ask him questions about the fucking role.

Edited by J.T.

And since we are talking about the Joker, let us appreciate what an amazing chameleon that Heath Ledger was.

So yes, the seeds of the Joker were born in the casting for The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Advance tickets are now on sale for Joker

In his infinite wisdom, the XO of 20th ID has decided that his logistics units needed surprise sustainment readiness training, so I will be pulling graveyard again from 3 October to 9 October.  

My metabolism will be so fucked that I probably won't make premier weekend, but hopefully my bio clock will be mended enough that I can go see it on the weekend of the 11th.