DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

I actually just rewatched Aquaman, and, while there are some great points, hoo boy did it drag on the second watch.

I mean, nearly all these modern blockbusters are too long, but holy fuck is it too long.

The Trench monsters were incredible though.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'd say the Picture nom looks like a lock. Actor he's got a real shot, but it's looking like a fucking loaded field on paper this year.

Joaquin feels like more of a lock than Best Picture till you remember how stupidly large the Best Picture field is. So it almost for sure has a spot as an also ran.

Aquaman was long. Really long. There was enough story to fill a trilogy. It was exhausting and kinda boring. Cool looking though. 

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Joaquin feels like more of a lock than Best Picture till you remember how stupidly large the Best Picture field is. So it almost for sure has a spot as an also ran.

That's my point basically. Best Actor looks fucking stacked on paper. Picture is likely going to get at least 8 nominations, and Joker is getting the exact right type of buzz.

Plus, the movie won the prize at Venice, Phoenix didn't get actor.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's my point basically. Best Actor looks fucking stacked on paper. Picture is likely going to get at least 8 nominations, and Joker is getting the exact right type of buzz.

Best Actor does look fucking stacked. Off the top of my head: Phoenix, Hanks, Driver, Banderas, Bale, Pitt, DiCaprio and Patterson. Might Downey Jr sneak in or go for Best Supporting Actor to try and help his cause? I can see others getting moved around to increase their chances. I think Egerton will unfortunately miss out, he shouldn't though.

I'd say the only Best Actor locks will be Phoenix, Driver and Hanks with a scrap for the last two places. 

Phoenix didn't win Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival as I read one film per award, it can't go over that limit.

Edited by The Natural

I believe they are planning to push Hanks as supporting. 

But Bale, Diver, and Leo feel like locks to me now (with the caveat that, obviously, OUATIH is the only one I've seen so far) and then just a free for all. But we'll know more as the movies open, and other awards start rolling.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Phoenix couldn't get Best Actor because of the rules.  They try to spread the wealth.  If they feel strongly enough that a film should win the Golden Lion that eliminates the actors from receiving an individual award.  It's suspected that he would have won it. 

• Thanks 1

I'm just hoping it pretends the first movie doesn't exist and gives us a good Bronze Tiger. I really enjoyed him in the comics as Waller's second/third and one of the few people she could actually be kind of straight with since they were friends.

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know what to expect out of James Gunn version exactly but I know two things.   

1. It should be a lot better than Ayer and the trailer company that was employed.  Low bar. 

2. It should look cool... 

3. Humor will feel less forced and more natural. 

4. We might actually care about these people. 

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" is a funny line that looks ridiculous on paper and would have been easy to screw up. But because of the setup throughout the story and the acting in the scene, it goes from ridiculous to tear-worthy. 

Compare to something like, "We're bad guys. It's what we do." Hahaha, no. I wouldn't even remember that trash line if Margot weren't so attractive. 

Edited by Captain Kronos
  • Like 1

When we were waiting to find out the villains for Christopher Nolan's third Batman film, I wanted Edward Nygma/The Riddler played by David Tennant. I still want Tennant to be cast in the part. The Riddler is long overdue a return to the big screen.

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Eddie Redmayne beat Michael Keaton for the Academy Award for Best Actor when Michael Keaton should've won it. That goes against him :).

It was Keaton's greatest performance and probably would have won any other year, but he was unlucky. Redmayne's performance was just downright brilliant. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

It was Keaton's greatest performance and probably would have won any other year, but he was unlucky. Redmayne's performance was just downright brilliant. 

You might be interested in Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of Stephen Hawking from Hawking (2004) unless you have already.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

When we were waiting to find out the villains for Christopher Nolan's third Batman film, I wanted Edward Nygma/The Riddler played by David Tennant. I still want Tennant to be cast in the part. The Riddler is long overdue a return to the big screen.

I don't dislike the idea of Redmayne as Riddler though I do like the idea of Tennant as Riddler more.

Killer Croc didn't die in the first one, did he? Because I'm not seeing Adewale Akinnuoye Agbaje there.

I spelled that from memory and only got one bit wrong, transposing the o and u in Akinnuoye. Makes up for making Reg E Cathey sound like an airline the other day.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Not just him:

EEX4lalXsAER-4A?format=jpg&name=medium

I feel like this one is going to have a lot more deaths than the first film with a cast this big. I'm trying not to get too excited at some of the names just because of that. The four returning cast members are probably the ones who did the best job in their roles though I still would have preferred no Harley. Wonder if they will treat it like the Ostrander comics where the team would have alterations depending on the mission. 

Edited by Eivion