DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

I really fancy Joker Movie (2019) to be a one and done for Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix turned down Bruce Banner and Doctor Strange as those are multi picture deals.

Also:

That's the amount of weight I lost!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I really fancy Joker Movie (2019) to be a one and done for Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix turned down Bruce Banner and Doctor Strange as those are multi picture deals.

Also:

That's the amount of weight I lost!

The important part here is the weight you lost. That's awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this terrible feeling... You know how the last thirty years of DC movies have been categorised by allowing filmmakers to show utter contempt for the source material, and an overwhelming desire to repeatedly restage one particular scene over and over again? A pretty big part of me thinks this movie ends with the Wayne family in Crime Alley AGAIN. And no Joe Chill, either.

I'm going to set up a bunker with @Bustronaut and basically avoid everything about this movie, kind of like I did with Venom. I'm luckier because this board is more or less the only place I'll have to deal with it. It's just one of those things I'd probably be happier didn't exist. I won't crap over it just for the sake of it. I just won't really have it as part of my life. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I know Joker is going to make all of the money, but it seems like bad release strategy that it doesn’t come out for another month and we’re already experiencing a collective cultural fatigue with it. 

It can't be that bad if you're saying it's going to make a ton of money. Apparently, it's not that much fatigue.

I think WB's strategy was two fold: give It Chapter Two room to breathe so you don't have two major money makers back-to-back and allow Joker to have its festival run. The major festivals don't start until late August. Maybe they've could've jammed it into Cannes for a mid summer wide release, but they probably needed more time for editing. I mean it could went the other way with most of the critics at Venice shitting all over it, but it didn't happen so that part of the strategy at least worked.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

17 hours ago, AxB said:

I have this terrible feeling... You know how the last thirty years of DC movies have been categorised by allowing filmmakers to show utter contempt for the source material, and an overwhelming desire to repeatedly restage one particular scene over and over again? A pretty big part of me thinks this movie ends with the Wayne family in Crime Alley AGAIN. And no Joe Chill, either.

You sound like a man who has danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The impression I'm getting is it's a pretty damn good movie, and a fucking terrible Joker movie.

That's what I'm seeing and hearing as well, which just goes back to the discussion calling this "Joker" is shitty way to do a cash grab when you could just let the quality of the movie stand on its own. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, Casey said:

Man that’s going to trigger a lot of people online that are bitching about the idolization of Joker as an anti-hero or whatever.

Yeah, it's being heralded as the best social satire horror movie since Us and Get Out, so it does indeed look like the Joker will be portrayed as something of the poster child for the mentally ill and class marginalized.  

Some people are calling it Clownface (a direct jab at the movie title, Scarface), but it sounds more like someone made a movie out of The Killing Joke and left out all of the Batman bits.

As far as the glorification of Joker as an anti-hero rather than a villain, that's always been the case from the comics to the movies..

Cinematically, I feel that Heath and Nicholson did their level best to portray the Joker as a legit villain but Bruce said in TDK, some people in real life will be drawn to the dark charisma of characters like that no matter what.

Being a horror movie guy, I know that we all pull for the killer every now and then.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

"Those pretty teens running around drinking and having pre-marital sex. They just got what they deserve." 

I didn't get invited to those sorts of parties when I was in High School.  They got what was coming to them.

The idea that the Joker is being celebrated as an anti-hero in this joint just tells me that this is a bleak movie where the Joker is the most likeable character and that is kinda disturbing.  

Sorta clues me in that this movie is one that has to be endured rather than enjoyed.  I may need to take a hot shower to wash the grime and shame away when I get home from the theater.

Edited by J.T.