DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

I'm really looking forward to Joker (2019) because it's the Joker, my fondness for origins, Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker and the film feels different. I like everything so far about the film from the first makeup/costume video last September, the poster released this week and especially the teaser trailer from yesterday.

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Phoenix is good so I'll probably see it. But as a concept, I have no appetite for these villain movies. 

I'm not super bothered by the idea of villain movies as long as they remember the characters are villains. With Joker I'm probably bothered more by him being someone I just don't care to see with a real origin. Feels like it makes him just a bit less. Still the trailer looked good so I will probably check it out if my brother and/or father want to see it.

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm not super bothered by the idea of villain movies as long as they remember the characters are villains. 

Given the average person's media literacy, I'm still worried about the non-zero percent of the audience who will see it as "bad guy being awesome and having more depth than any of the heroes." Happens all the time regardless of the author's intention. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

55 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Given the average person's media literacy, I'm still worried about the non-zero percent of the audience who will see it as "bad guy being awesome and having more depth than any of the heroes." Happens all the time regardless of the author's intention. 

Modern popular culture has been making the anti-hero appealing since at least the 1970s if not earlier. It's just gotten worse and worse since the 80s.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Sure, but Joker isn't an antihero. He's a straight up villain.

Part of that sliding scale is when the anti-hero adoration morphs into that for a villain turned hero. 

At the time, I wrote a conference paper about that, using the scale of Wolverine -> Punisher -> Venom. 

SHAZAM! is real good y'all.  Too many "Shits" and too much body horror to classify it as a family classic, but really fun.

Adam Brody was great in his small role, and Meagan Good was as well.  I really hope the sequel they set up comes to fruition.

Spoiler

Mister Mind!

Edited by Bustronaut
ETA: sequel spoiler
  • Like 2

Going to see it in a few hours. I'm excited

EDIT: I really enjoyed it.  I can't believe we got what we got in the climax, I didn't expect 

Spoiler

The Marvel Family, or whatever they're going to call them.  They were all so fun, I loved it!

Edited by John Austin
  • Like 1

I'm not hung up on this being "the origin of the Joker".  The man said himself that his memory doesn't serve him well on his own beginnings, and he likes having a past that's multiple choice.

Plus, nothing can be done in comics, movies or comics movies that can't be undone.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:22 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Variety is reporting Idris Elba is not playing Deadshot, who won't be in the movie, but rather a different, yet unnamed character.

As others have said, Bronze Tiger is the obvious choice. If he's off the table I'd hope for Major Disaster just to see Elba play a total sad sack who is also incredibly dangerous.

Shazam is the most MCU like DCEU movie ever, by a lot.

I mean, it would be middle of the pack MCU, but it has both the tone and the structure*.

I liked it, didn't love it

Even the "mid credits scene sets up a future movie/post credits scene is a funny stinger" structure.