DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Wait, the guy playing Shazam in Shazam is the same guy who played Chuck in Chuck? Steroids are a hell of a drug.

Pretty sure that is just muscles built into the suit. Melissa Benoist uses something similar for Supergirl. They are just using something a little more extreme for obvious reasons.

Edited by Eivion

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Yeah, but his whole face has changed shape too.

Age also changes your face too. Even when he was on Chuck, there were a couple times he was shirtless and he was not a lanky guy (especially for a tall dude).

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, Matt D said:

Con: People keep saying "one of the best of the DCEU movies!" which immediately makes their reviews incomprehensible. 

sws15.png

• Like 2

Well,  at the very least (I'll leave a couple other movies aside that were divisive) Wonder Woman and Aquaman were both critical hits and huge commercial successes so the idea that DC doesn't have a good track record is waning.  Shazam! is at 93% on RT which makes it higher than the vast majority of comic book movies. 

@Matt D is just like the guy who uses flip phones in 2019 mashing the tiny little buttons and taking a hundred years to send out a single message. 

Speaking of Aquaman, I finally saw it, and it was... Fine. Pretty fun, beautiful colors (the way first Jenkins and now Wan have brought a large degree of Snyder's style but saturated it with color really works)

It had some real unfortunate plot coincidences with both Black Panther and Ant-Man and the Wasp, which almost certainly were coincidences, but it had the misfortune of being both the last one released, and definitely worse than at least Black Panther.

All told, I think it was definitely on the good side of the ledger for DC, but it's not one I'm going to expect people to still be talking about in a few years. 

Anyway, Shazam looks like fun and I just got two free passes to it, so huzzah.

I'll catch Aquaman on DVD or when it hits TV. I'm not sure I'll have the time to see Shazam at the cinema so it will be a DVD showing. I've seen all the other DCEU movies, Wonder Woman was the last on the big screen.

Edited by The Natural

All fucking in.   Joaquim looks tremendous in that trailer

He could be the second man to win a Best Actor Oscar for portraying the Joker.

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A 1970s Killing Joke-style story. Yeah, I'm in. 

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.”

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Besides the obvious Scorsese influence, it kind of reminds me of You Were Never Really Here. Joaquin looks like he lost a lot of weight for this since he was pretty beefy in that one. It’s late enough in the year and he’s cemented enough in the industry to probably have an Oscar nom sewn up. Also, Brian Tyree Henry is in everything now, and that’s a good thing.

• Like 2

All in! I love how they showed us a good amount but still didn’t fall into the trap of showing us everything. The pay off of Phoenix turning into what we see at the tail end of the trailer will be worth the slow burn. 

• Like 1

Loved the trailer.  Love that the cast of Atlanta is getting big time movie work. 

Phoenix is a god-tier actor so I was already somewhat excited, but got damn I did not expect that.  

That the dude who made the hangover movies is about to drop one of the darkest comic book movies of all time is somehow oddly perfect?  

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Phoenix is good so I'll probably see it. But as a concept, I have no appetite for these villain movies. 

This is pretty much where I am. Especially Joker. I mean, at least Venom has been made into an antihero. Joker has a death count that rivals the bubonic plague.

Looks like Taxi Driver to me.  Which I love.  I love villains,  I love heroes.  I don't necessarily need the lead to have any redeeming qualities and he sure as hell won't.  I can see from the trailer that he's already off his rocker before the buttons are pushed.  

All it took was one bad day. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

I also add that whether this movie is good or not I like that they are going for something different. There seems to be this idea especially since Iron Man took off in 2008 that comic book movies are a specific genre of film.  Many want to box them in as action/adventure tales with huge set pieces and a ton of CGI etc..   that's not exactly what I want...  

I've wanted comics to transcend genres and have all types of films being made.  Nolan did this with The Dark Knight trilogy where he turned them into crime dramas.  Deadpool did gross humor and did it very well.  Shazam! is doing a family movie that's been compared to Big or Home Alone.   I'd like to see more of this. 

• Like 2

Logan was a western as well 

I'm not saying this won't be good (I hope it is) but man, Joker doesn't just lack redeeming qualities, he's one of the most purely evil fictional characters of all time.

• Like 1

The world is an evil place.  I’m all for the escapism aspects of most comic book movies, but I don’t see the problem in diving in to the muck every once in a while. It’s honest.

I know some seem to be interpreting this trailer as sort of sympathetic to the Joker, but I didn’t take it that way. 

We will have to wait and see how it actually plays out, but there are ways to depict anti-heroes without really excusing their behavior.  Walter White, for example, is an all time classic anti-hero who isn’t really redeemable despite the audience knowing and understanding how he came to be.  Even his big rescue moment in the finale doesn’t feel redemptive at all.

It’s a fine line to walk and I don’t know if they can pull it off, but I’m sort of shocked that a director of dumb comedies released a trailer with this tone. So shocked, in fact, that I am excited about a comic book movie for the first time in years.

Edited by Jrag

When I think of anti-heroes I think of The Punisher or Stone Cold Steve Austin.   I don't think depicting Joker as a failure and getting mugged or picked on is a way to garner sympathy for the character.  It's showing how evil is unleashed. 

We'll have to wait for the movie but a lot of despicable people were bullied.  It doesn't excuse their abhorrent behavior.  Shit like bullying just speeds up the process. It's the match that lights the fuse but the fuse was always there. 

• Like 1