DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:26 AM, Execproducer said:

He's still Captain Marvel to me, damn it.

He's the first Captain Marvel, dammit.

The Captain Marvel in the new Marvel joint isn't even the first Captain Marvel for Marvel.

Uhh.

12 hours ago, John Austin said:

Rumours are that DC is trying to recast Deadshot with Idris Elba. Great choice if they can land him IMO

No longer a rumor.  Variety Magazine confirmed it this morning.

STOKED~!

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, J.T. said:

He's the first Captain Marvel, dammit.

The Captain Marvel in the new Marvel joint isn't even the first Captain Marvel for Marvel.

Uhh.

No, to be horribly pedantic the first Marvel Captain Marvel was actually the THIRD character with that name. The less said about the second one, the better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OSJ said:

No, to be horribly pedantic the first Marvel Captain Marvel was actually the THIRD character with that name. The less said about the second one, the better.

I liked all 4 of Marvel's Captain Marvels (Mar-Vell, Monica Rambeau, Genis-Vell, Carol Danvers). Probably more than Shazam's.

6 minutes ago, Ace said:

I liked all 4 of Marvel's Captain Marvels (Mar-Vell, Monica Rambeau, Genis-Vell, Carol Danvers). Probably more than Shazam's.

Agreed! Monica Rambeau doesn't get nearly enough love round these parts. I recall buying the first issue of "Marvel Super Heroes" (formerly "Fantasy Masterpieces") and wondering what we were to make of this new "Captain Marvel". I was less than impressed as I'd heard from much older cousins how cool the original Capt. Marvel was and that was what I wanted, not some Kree in an outlandish costume. Still, he was way, way better than Capt. Marvel II who has to be one of the most ridiculous characters in the history of comics and boy does that cover a lot of ground. For those blissfully unaware of his existence, he was a robot or android that could split his body into parts that would fly around the room and pummell the bad guys. He did by cleverly yelling "Split!" and then would reassemble himself by yelling "Xam!" which sounds suspiciously like "Shazam" to the untrained ear. I don't recall too much about it, think it lasted only two or three issues; seems to me a major villain was a chap named Atom-Jaw, who due to an unfortunate accident was outfitted with a steel jaw that could chomp through just about anything. More than that I've managed to erase from my mind. 

Oh, another funny story, the return of the REAL Captain Marvel from DC under the title of Shazam was heralded as the biggest comics event in like forever. One clever entrepreneur, I won't say any names except to say that they are still in business in the Pike Place Market, called the magazine distributors and snapped up every copy bound for Seattle and immediately marked them up to a buck an issue. (I think the cover price was twenty cents, may have been fifteen cents, it's been a longass time...) Anyway, a quick call on the part of the magazine distributors netted them another 1000 copies, plenty for every fucking 7-11 and corner drugstore to have an adequate supply. That greedy bastard in the Pike Market was still trying to get rid of copies five years later. HAHAHAHA.  

And then in 1981, an 11 year old Johnny Sorrow collected most of the entire run of Shazam! on the cheap, which included some 80 page giants with reprints of the classic Marvel Family stories. Those are what grabbed me and made me such a Captain Marvel fan that I would find and buy Golden Age books at Flea Markets and Creation Conventions. I still have a Captain Marvel Adventures from the 40's with Cap using a ray that makes people good on Hitler.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

And then in 1981, an 11 year old Johnny Sorrow collected most of the entire run of Shazam! on the cheap, which included some 80 page giants with reprints of the classic Marvel Family stories. Those are what grabbed me and made me such a Captain Marvel fan that I would find and buy Golden Age books at Flea Markets and Creation Conventions. I still have a Captain Marvel Adventures from the 40's with Cap using a ray that makes people good on Hitler.

I had terrible luck trying to get GA stuff affordably in the Seattle area. I think at one time I had three issues of the Lev Gleason Daredevil, all in the #40-#60 range where he was already being squeezed out of his own book by the Little Wise Guys. Had a couple of issues of Wow with Mary Marvel and Mr. Scarlet neither of which impressed me, I thought Commando  Yank was pretty cool, but he was only allocated like eight or ten pages. Mr Scarlet would have been fine without the teen sidekick, "Pinky"? WTF were they thinking when they came up with that? Can you see a gang of thugs screaming "Look out, it's Pinky!" If anything it actually makes the Black Terror's sidekick Tim seem more palatable. 

All that GA stuff that was such a holy grail to teenage me in the 1970s was really not all that good when you get right down to it. Some of the stuff has held up reasonably well, Sandman, before becoming just another guy in spandex was pretty cool. Most of the MLJ stuff that I was just gaga over thanks to Mighty Crusaders and what-not was just hot garbage. The one notable exception was Blackjack, which I recently got the complete series from in the form of a trade from Gondwanaland Comics for like thirty bucks and it's well worth every penny, an exquisitely drawn strip with a story arc that carries through the entire series and makes perfect sense. It's strange that nothing else MLJ ever did even begins to approach the greatness that was Blackjack. I had high hopes for the Web, but found it a bit underwhelming. Bob Phantom and Inferno (got both characters complete in the same book, again for about thirty bucks) tremendously disappointing, in Bob Phantom's case, weak writing and bad art. In Inferno's case, nice art, but a back-up strip of only like eight pages, so not much to get excited about. 

Based on this experience I'm a bit gunshy about trying Hangman, Shield, Black Hood, etc. Next decent royalty check I may have to try a volume or two of the Hangman, he's always been a favorite character going back to the 1960s when for reasons unknown they made both the Wizard and the Hangman bad guys. I think the complete Hangman runs to four volumes, so that's over $100, (or as I rationalize it, a buck a day over four months.) ? 

I'll have to check and see if they've done any of the early Lev Gleason Daredevil, those early issues of Silver Streak and Daredevil look to be pretty good. The Ghost vs. the Claw I can do without, just more of the same issue after issue near as I can tell, but Daredevil, prior to the Little Wise Guys taking over the strip looks to be all sorts of cool. Some comics historians will say that he was top five doing the forties, right up there sales-wise with Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel and Captain America. I sort of wonder at the exclusion of the Flash from these lists, after all he popular enough to star in three books including one cleverly titled All-Flash, just in case you didn't know what you were getting. That's in addition to his regular strip and starring role in the JSA; be interesting to see what sales figures were really like for these characters. I know there are some who hold that the Captain Marvel family of titles outsold the Superman group for several years, but I've seen no real figures to back this up. Not saying I don't believe it, because it sounds very believable, just saying that I've never seen actual sales figures to back this up. Always have wondered why comics historians seem to ignore the Flash, he had to have been a pretty big deal to be featured in three titles and also be the first GA character that they revived back in the dawn of the Silver Age. 

The sprawling history of Captain Marvel and Fawcett is one of the most fascinating stories in comics. The lawsuit from National Publications, the British just up and ripping the concept off to keep it going as Marvelman, all the issues that led to decades later (and really even to this day as we still wait for Neil to finish Miracleman), Marvel vulturing the name, and constantly reinventing and relaunching the character to keep the trademark. DC eventually just out and out purchasing the original character.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:35 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

These early reactions to Shazam have been great.  Comparing it to Home Alone and Big and stuff.  Sounds cool to me. 

Yeah, the first thing that came to my brain when I saw the first trailer was that Shazam! was Big only with super powers.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:51 PM, Eivion said:

I'm hoping those rumors are false and Elba is actually being cast for Bronze Tiger.

Now I am sad that Elba / Deadshot is confirmed because I'd much rather see Bronze Tiger in the sequel.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:07 PM, OSJ said:

Bah.  The two graphic novels that are the dearest to my heart are X-Men: God Loves / Man Kills and The Death of Captain Marvel.

The issue where Mar-Vell gains the power of Cosmic Awareness is about as close as a comic book has ever come to the quintessential classic portrayal of the Hero's Journey.

Captain_Marvel_29.jpg

I applaud Marvel Comics for creating such interesting characters despite the fact that the whole purpose behind Monica Rambeau / Genis-Vell / Carol Danvers was to stick the Captain Marvel name on someone in order to keep the trademark alive.

But we're talking about Shazam! here and the Crimson Defender, Captain Marvel, will always be the first and best in my eyes, probably because Captain Marvel's stories of heroism sent the message that inside the body of the Mightiest Mortal on Earth beat the heart of a kid that still despite the world's cynicism, still saw enough good in people to want to be their protector...

....unlike the current version of the Man of Steel that seems to need constant reminders about why he should use his powers for the benefit of all....

That's a pretty powerful message and I am thrilled to see that it seems to be the central theme of the movie.

I totally disagree with the how the court ruled against Fawcett, but that's the risk you take when you put shit in the hands of judges who probably don't know squat about what they're ruling on.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

So Ezra Miller is now working on the script for The Flash movie himself. And he's working with Grant Motherfucking Morrison.

I'm well beyond hyped for a superhero movie co-written by Morrison.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So Ezra Miller is now working on the script for The Flash movie himself. And he's working with Grant Motherfucking Morrison.

As am I. Get Grant Morrison on Batman too.

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Supposedly Miller wants a darker script. Has Morrison done any sort of film/tv scripts? How involved is he with Happy?

On 3/11/2019 at 8:58 AM, J.T. said:

Now I am sad that Elba / Deadshot is confirmed because I'd much rather see Bronze Tiger in the sequel.

paging Michael Jai White....

• Like 3

Wait, the guy playing Shazam in Shazam is the same guy who played Chuck in Chuck? Steroids are a hell of a drug.